The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
34050713_2097974653821182_6699316501133918208_n.jpg
This can’t be real. I’ve never seen anything like this after an E3 presentation.

"Play PS2 and PS3 games on PS4". Implies open BC, but that's not going to happen with PS3. So, streamed? Would love to play PS2 discs in PS4.

If Sony think B/C is important they could offer PS2 emulation from the box and could chose to make PSNow more palatable for PS3 games by removing or lowering the cost. Perhaps including it with PS+ and have it free if there is a PS3 disc in the PS4's drive bay.

Previously Sony didn't value B/C but PlayStation is under new management so things may have changed. This is the first E3 not under Andrew House since PS4 launched. What was Sony conventional wisdom is not longer a given. :nope:

Well we know PS4 is capable of open PS2 emulation because it's working in hacked consoles. Given a lack of interest in PS2 games on the store, both from publishers and players, at this point it'll be free goodwill for Sony to enable it.

Well we know PS4 is capable of open PS2 emulation because it's working in hacked consoles.

Yup. How well it works and whether the emulator requires any tweaking could be a barrier but if Sony want to make it work they certainly could.

I don't see Sony doing it for goodwill.

I can see them developing it and making it an added selling point for ps5 compared to ps4 though.
they've been in a position to release a ps1 & ps2 emu for some time now on ps4.

What's the benefit in not enabling BC for PS2 titles versus enabling it? Lost revenue is probably zero at this point. They have BC present and not doing anything and not gaining any returns on its investment. Making it free to use now would mean at least getting some good will back on that investment. Going forwards, they can possibly sell more titles on the store if they don't faf about adding Trophies and junk.

Maybe run it 'as is' and accumulate profiling data useful for fin-tuning the emulator in future?

What's the benefit in not enabling BC for PS2 titles versus enabling it? Lost revenue is probably zero at this point. They have BC present and not doing anything and not gaining any returns on its investment. Making it free to use now would mean at least getting some good will back on that investment. Going forwards, they can possibly sell more titles on the store if they don't faf about adding Trophies and junk.

Maybe run it 'as is' and accumulate profiling data useful for fin-tuning the emulator in future?
the benefit is giving the ps5 additional selling points.
ps4 is doing fine without it, so make it an additional feature of ps5.

i can't see any other reason to not have launched it already otherwise, why wait?
My reasoning is based on the fact that i believe that they could've launched it already but have chosen not to.

i can't see any other reason to not have launched it already otherwise, why wait?
they were hoping to monetise it. That's proven not to happen now.
My reasoning is based on the fact that i believe that they could've launched it already but have chosen not to.
Under new management now though, so will probably be re-evaluating options.

Having PS2 emulation on PS4 doesn't devalue the same on PS5. It's not like someone will refuse to buy a PS5 because the PS4 already has PS2 emulation so there's no need to upgrade. Offering BC now and continuing that into next gen just helps maintain the PS bloodline, so can't help but be a positive. Especially when the gaming community is aware the only thing stopping BC on PS4 is Sony, because hacks show it's open. Plus MS are scoring PR points with BC (and selling games too). Lack of BC on PS4 is now more a negative than presence of BC is a positive.

Under new management now though, so will probably be re-evaluating options.
yes, and we'll have to wait and see what happens. But it's possible they come to the same conclusion and not release it for whatever reason.
Having PS2 emulation on PS4 doesn't devalue the same on PS5. It's not like someone will refuse to buy a PS5 because the PS4 already has PS2 emulation so there's no need to upgrade.
It doesn't devalue it, but it's one less check box item to differentiate it.
Plus MS are scoring PR points with BC (and selling games too). Lack of BC on PS4 is now more a negative than presence of BC is a positive.
From what I've seen, most ps owners say it would be nice to have now, but essential on ps5 to be bc with ps4.
So, Sony may just roll it all out in ps5, or when they launch ps5 possibly make it available to ps4.
They've easily lived and florished without any bc up till now(psnow not included), so the pr hit isn't a problem for them. Maybe next gen that may not be the case.

As you said may not make much money so benefit is from good will and pr, which they may wont to help push ps5. Why waste it now when not needed.
PS5 with x generations of bc, everyone stands and cheers like it's the second coming. When in reality its, just because ps finally got it.

Can't say i philosophically disagree with you. But they've had the tech for ages, and has so much changed for them to release it now, I'm not sure, even under new leadership.

It doesn't devalue it, but it's one less check box item to differentiate it.
PS5 is a new generation. It doesn't need any more differentiation than that!

As you said may not make much money so benefit is from good will and pr, which they may wont to help push ps5. Why waste it now when not needed.
Create a more stable brand now by conveying the same message MS has, that your games will stay with you for generations. That's MS's primary USP at the moment (which they're not making the most of). It's a message you want to get out early to establish as something you can trust. If Sony don't have BC now, and then XB2 launches a year earlier, some PS owners may look at XB's constant library and feel it's worth swapping over so they don't lose their games every generation. If PS4 has BC, and it's expected of PS5 too, that's less likely to happen.

But they've had the tech for ages, and has so much changed for them to release it now, I'm not sure, even under new leadership.
It could also be that the emulator has matured to a point now that they can open it to disc games.

Of course, it could be the rumour is fake, but some people got nothing better to do than troll the Interwebz.

If they release it now i wouldn't die of shock, I'm just not going to be holding my breath expecting it though.

They are doing so well at the moment as long as they don't say and do something outrageous they will be ok pushing the games line up they've got.
Compared to MS their less likely to put their foot in their mouth because they hardly say anything.

E3 is always an interesting time, even if the shows themselves sometimes are a bit of a let down.
This year seems to have a different feel due to MS first party and exclusive situation, and how Sony has set expectations.

Its certainly going to be one genuinely boring E3 season all around.

Traditionally you want to sandwich filler between big games and Sony have a good recent history of doing this. Everybody wants to know about Ghosts of Tsushima, wants to see more of Spider-Man and see gameplay of The Last of Us Part II. I think the conference will open and close with everything sandwiched between two of these three unless Sony have something interesting or surprising to reveal.

And nobody in their right mind would put SOCOM and PUBG next to each other. :nope:

Its certainly going to be one genuinely boring E3 season all around.

Yeah next one and the one after will be more interesting, new hardware and all. All I want is Bloodborne 2 but I know I'll probably be left disappointed :(

I want some early teases for TLOU2 so badly, got a strong feeling this is gonna be the game that would shock the industry all over again:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back