The Annual Apple WWDC Thread, 2016 Edition

Well I've been sitting through the live stream.

I live in a First World country, I have my own First World Problems, but do my best to recognise them as such. The way this show comes across I'm beginning to suspect that there's such a thing as a Zeroth World country, with an entire information technology infrastructure dedicated to solving the vexing problem of where to have lunch.

Mr Douglas Adams called it, it seems.

Hadn't caught any of this due to MS E3 conference.

The dude who helped doing the Messages app presentation sounded a little salty. Haha! A first, because usually Apple presentations are drenched in pointless overexaggerations of how awesome and beautiful and fantastic their apps are, and here's this guy. Haha. Wonder if Tim had words with him afterwards, or if it was all pre-arranged. You know, I bet it was on purpose, because they never leave anything to chance.

Apple Watch news probably interested me the most, because as a device it needs the most work. As it stands currently, it's an OK device. It's a little clunky, a little quirky, and sometimes really rather friggin slow, unfortunately. Many of the changes to watchOS are really great, and will help to make the watch the device it should have been from day one (except, you never actually know on day one what your device should be on day one... *ahem*)

I wonder where glances went if up-swipe on the watchface brings up notification center. Sideways from there for glances? *shrug* I mostly use glances for weather tho so with the activities watchface I suppose I could replace the activities widget with weather, if it fits. Apple is a bit too constrictive with how people get to configure their watchfaces, IMO. I guess I'll have to wait for more details of how it will work.

The unlocking of your macbook by wearing the watch is just mindblowing. What I've heard rumors of said the feature would use touch ID, so I was thinking I would have to dig out my phone and fiddle, but... Damn. I wonder if this will work on Macs that don't have BT 4.0 or better, because mine is too old for that. I would guess "no", but I remain hopeful!

No talking about Safari this year. Well, there's still the autumn presentation. Maybe there's still stuff coming on that front - I am most interested in tab grouping like IE had, and MS subsequently dropped with edge. Colored tab groups do wonders for screen ergonomics. It was a great feature, I loved it. Every fucking tab being a drab grey really gets my goat. Also, safari won't always open new tabs next to the tab that spawned it. That creates further confusion. The browser really needs some work on this front, I'd say. Oh, and no tooltips for hovering a link is a huge annoyance too. Sometimes you want to know what site a link points to without needing to click it. Toggling on the status bar is clunky, because most of the time it is just an empty grey bar blocking a part of the screen for little or no reason. Tooltips are such basic functionality, it's another of those Mac niggles that should have been solved but get overlooked time and time again despite being "the world's most advanced" OS. *sigh*

Oh well. Pretty interesting presentation on the whole, anyway.

Oh, how did I miss APFS? The most exciting thing, a file system much like ZFS+.
New filing system, whaaaat? The fucking sky must be falling, apple finally replacing their current POS? I must be dreaming! :p

...And if we missed it, it must be because they didn't mention it at the conference.

ArsTechnica covers APFS : http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/0...ocumentation-for-apfs-apples-new-file-system/

Seems to have some typical goodies that XFS or BTRFS has:
copy on write
native encryption
instant cloning
snapshots​

But before we get into the good stuff, let’s real quick talk about the bad stuff—or, at least, the "this is still in development so here’s what doesn’t quite work" stuff. Apple’s documentation notes that because APFS is still a developer preview, you cannot use an APFS volume as a startup disk. You also can’t use it as a Time Machine volume or part of a Fusion Drive configuration, nor can you use File Vault encryption on it.

Perhaps most importantly, the file system currently is case-sensitive, and this cannot be disabled. HFS+ breaks with most Unix-y file systems in that it can be configured to not use case sensitivity; in fact, running OS X—ahem, macOS, sorry—with case-sensitive HFS+ can lead to its own problems. But, for now, if you want to use APFS, you’re going to do so on a non-startup volume, and you’re going to have to deal with case sensitivity.

In light of the current limitations, Apple recommends you test APFS on an external volume that doesn’t contain anything important. You can get started with the hdiutil utility—presuming you've got access to Sierra.

I'm sure they have the manpower (aka $$$) to get those kinks ruled out before release. I'm currently running ZFS+ on my scratch drive (4 drives, 1 redundant) and not having to copy the entire file but only the changes are really wicked. That should make TimeMachine fly, even over the cloud, as another big feature they mentioned (remove old, unused files and store them in the cloud to free up space).

For the new iOS, there seems to be a lot of functions accessible via the lock screen, but I didn't see anything mentioned about TouchID. For example, there's a demo about being able to reply a message by touching the notification directly on the lock screen. Isn't that kind of insecure if TouchID is not required?

Then there's the SiriKit and iMessage API which I think are going to be very important. Being able to bring up an app without having to find it in the sea of icons will make it a battlefield for apps to compete in.

Back