That RDNA 1.8 Consoles Rumor *spawn*

Well... [emoji28]

The same people discussing this to the death are the same ones that, when an Activision Lead Artist hinted PS5 supported VRS, said it was an unsubstantiated rumor. It's OK we all have our biases.

Users get informed, things can shift. That’s just part of the way customers are. You are going to get the person that does research and that travels down too.

I’m just stating my opinion of things. It’s not detrimental but I think it deserves some attention.
Everybody wants to get the best bang for the buck. Also I think a full RDNA2 Lockhart can really show itself nice (maybe with a good 1440p@60 FPS) vs a double priced PS5... this of course on multiplat games

It's pretty underwhelming compared to what NVIDIA is going to pullout this year. The same for XBSX, which has less ML capabilities that my 2060 bough two years ago. You buy consoles for the games (exclusives), for their ease of use and for their multimedia features. Not for being the most powerful devices out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what people consider important.

Will the average Joe be more likely to notice a 20% resolution drop and VRS omission, or a 100% increase in loading speed?

I'm certain that Sony are going to smash records this year with the PS5 regardless of it usage of a feature that the competitor uses (and is likely covered by *other* unique features).
In my genera and limited experience with digital advertising, people are fairly informed and information about a product and ratings are a critical thing.
I honestly don’t know what the end result will be.

launches will be aligned. XSX will be more powerful. Seems like both companies are sluggish to reveal the price. That just lets something like this fester.

And when prices are announced it would be to MS advantage to match or undercut Sony while enjoying the couple of months of whatever you want to call this.

I just can’t see how it’s an advantage for Sony to let it sit, that’s all I’m saying. But yea I don’t know how it’s going to turn out. Quite curious to be honest. It’s a completely new generation with entirely new variables, not sure how much past performance indicators will apply this time around.

You buy consoles for the games (exclusives), for their ease of use and for their multimedia features. Not for being the most powerful devices out there.

Mostly because it's affordable. If everyone could get a 3080Ti/3900X and an Optane system for 500/600, in a nice form factot, i think many would want that instead :p

I really think outside forums like this people care more about games than features that are not game breaking.

I could understand last gen loading times vs next gen loading times as a concern, but not GPU differences (that we are talking about).

A 3060 is going to easily overpower the XBSX and it has a pretty average SSD as well, no need for a 3080 or an Optane.

It's pretty underwhelming compared to what NVIDIA is going to pullout this year. The same for XBSX, who has less ML capabilities that my 2060 bough two years ago. You buy consoles for the games (exclusives), for their ease of use and for their multimedia features. Not for being the most powerful devices out there.
Yes...
But among consoles you can eventually choose...
If the lack of game change (or at least important) features in PS5 is there, MS has chances to regain space.... the ultra fast SSD in multiplat games almost useless.... Will see if this features are usable quite effortlessly (that is integrated in the majority of graphic engines)...

Yes...
But among consoles you can eventually choose...
If the lack of game change (or at least important) features in PS5 is there, MS has chances to regain space.... the ultra fast SSD in multiplat games almost useless.... Will see if this features are usable quite effortlessly (that is integrated in the majority of graphic engines)...

I think Spiderman 2 will do.

In my genera and limited experience with digital advertising, people are fairly informed and information about a product and ratings are a critical thing.
I honestly don’t know what the end result will be.

launches will be aligned. XSX will be more powerful. Seems like both companies are sluggish to reveal the price. That just lets something like this fester.

And when prices are announced it would be to MS advantage to match or undercut Sony while enjoying the couple of months of whatever you want to call this.

I just can’t see how it’s an advantage for Sony to let it sit, that’s all I’m saying. But yea I don’t know how it’s going to turn out. Quite curious to be honest. It’s a completely new generation with entirely new variables, not sure how much past performance indicators will apply this time around.

It was my intention to buy the Xbox Series X this time, so I spoke to my two older boys and told them that the new Xbox would be more powerful than the PS5. They essentially turned their noses up at the idea of having an Xbox regardless of how much more powerful it is.

I genuinely think that the PS5 will be exactly as underpowered as the math tells us. Both manufacturers will have features that the other does not. These will more-or-less cancel each other out.

Anyone convincing themselves of significantly more than a ~20% difference will be disappointed.

The PlayStation will load quicker (with unique first party games) and the Xbox will have 20% higher resolution/effects.

The talk of PS5 being 1.1, 1.9, 2.0 RDNA can only be a misnomer.

People are not stupid. If the XSX is cheaper but more powerful than the PS5 then many buyers will go for the XSX. And that's exactly what happened in 2005 in US when PS2 owners upgraded to the 360 in numbers.

There are lots of gamers that just want play the latest COD/NHL/FIFA/MADDEN etc. and do not care about typical Sony/MS exclusives besides Halo/Gears.

It's delusional to think that people don't care about the price or the performance when it comes to gaming. PS4 won because it was cheaper and more powerful than XO, Sony exclusive lineup was pretty bad when current generation launched so it didn't matter. Price mattered. Performance mattered.

If Lockhart is a thing, and comes with a price tag on roughly $249, then my prediction is that during first two years it will outsell both the the XSX and the PS5 combined (in the US).

The talk of PS5 being 1.1, 1.9, 2.0 RDNA can only be a misnomer.
For sure. Generally in my mind if the cost of losing money because of this is greater than the cost of fixing it. It should be fixed.

some people think the earth is flat. Some people Think the volume goes to 11. There will
Be people that think 2 is better than 1.

it’s still early in this story. But I think if this festers all the way to launch it would have more impact than dealing with this sooner.

People are not stupid. If the XSX is cheaper but more powerful than the PS5

The prices have been announced and the XSX is cheaper than both PS5s?

Lockhart is the only real unknown. All I can say is that from my perspective I have literally no interest in the machine, since it doesn't really strike me as "next-gen". Average Joe may disagree though.

For sure. Generally in my mind if the cost of losing money because of this is greater than the cost of fixing it. It should be fixed.

some people think the earth is flat. Some people Think the volume goes to 11. There will
Be people that think 2 is better than 1.

I don't think Sony will lose a penny over a lack of VRS.

Agreed that more of something is better than less (at least in this context). Only perceptably, shortened loading may be considered to be of more worth if the resolution deficit isn't visible. Loading speed is visible to all.

I think it's an important point that many are overlooking.

Back