TGS Keynote Discussion Thread

So why again, should MGS4 sell millions on Xbox360 again? Because all MGS fans have already gotten a Xbox360? Doubtful...

It's obvious. Because it's a quality game, and so far every good game with lots of hype has sold extremely well on the 360.

If there's one trend that trumps all others, it's the long list of million sellers on the 360, and the high attach rate. There's no way that MGS4, as heavily hyped as it is, does not sell > a million IMO, and probably much more.

If PS2 owners and MGS fans jump on the Wii bandwagon with no turning back why should they also turn towards a 360 for MGS4? Wii is completely out of the picture regarding MGS4 exclusivity on PS3 or going for both 360 and PS3. These gamers may actually still buy a PS3 or a 360 in some point of time.
Aselto's point was rhetorical.

At the end the PS3 may fail just because of the self fulfilling prophecy attitude of consumers.
This is what is killing the PS3 right now.
I'll think you'll find a $600+ pricetag has some hand in PS3's murder ;)

What lesson is there to learn? You didn't prove a damn thing and your speculation is as good as mine in this case, seeing that MGS4 hasn't shipped on either platform yet. ;)

I still find using history as an indicative messure to be more telling than baseless speculation. The facts are:

• MGS2 while a relatively good port sold disappointing on Xbox. And how many of those already played it on PS2? Not many. And that's on a platform that had Halo sell millions and even move a lot of consoles.
  • Xbox360 is selling very similar to Xbox... an indication that many Xbox consumers have upgraded to Xbox360, after Xbox software and hardware has been droped completely? Very likely.

So why again, should MGS4 sell millions on Xbox360 again? Because all MGS fans have already gotten a Xbox360? Doubtful...

This discussion is as gold as when Capcom went exclusive Nintendo and realized that the games weren't selling as well as the previous games on the PSone.

If Microsoft would get Konami to bring MGS4 exclusive to Xbox360 - then that would be another topic and would probably ensure quite a lot of sales. One from me included.

I think a very important question to this particular discussion is xbox1/Ps2 userbase overlap versus xbox360/ps3 overlap.

How may people who owned xbox1 also owned a ps2. If this was a very high number combined with a low level of marketing and way smaller xbox1 userbase then it would explain the low sales of MGS2 on the xbox1.

How may people who owned xbox360 also owned a ps3. Even if this ratio is the same as last generation, the userbase of the 360 is larger the PS2, which means that the percentage of potential 360 consumers who don't own MGS4 on the PS3 is a lot larger.

While that doesn't mean that a delayed 360 MGS4 would outsell a PS3 MGS4, it does mean that in all likelihood that MGS4 would perform better than MGS2 on a MS platform.

Phil's take on TGS, PS3, Blu-ray vs PSN, Heavenly Sword and *gasp* Lair.
I like the trailers :)

Bar the "I think 5-10 hour games is a good thing because it means even complete noobs can make it through to the end!" [paraphrasing] statement he made I think he handled that interview well as usual..

Seriously out of most if not all PR agents from alot of these companies I have to give people like Phil Harrison credit because they really know how to put concise "no bones about it" answers across to the user without having to depend on taking pot shots at competitors to convince you that what he's selling is a good product.. He has alot of integrity and knows how to handle even the most difficult questions very well which is a really excellent quality for a guy in his position..

I always like listening to his interviews for some reason.. Great guy and excellent at what he does..!

Back