TGS Keynote Discussion Thread

I wonder whether the large gab between releasing the DS3-pack in the different territories is because NA and Europe is still stuffed with the old skus. They are still selling 20GB model in Japan, so maybe the chain is quite empty there, which allows the new sku to appear so much before anywhere else.
?

Good question. Maybe this is a "tongue in cheek" move to the Japanese market just like the Japanese price cut at last years TGS.

Another reason to postpone the release in the Western markets might be that it is a way to save a couple of dollars on the BOM and transfer those saved dollars to a cheaper SKU later this fall for the holiday season.

The parents buying a PS3 for their children are most certainly more concerned with the price than wether the SKU has rumble or not. I don´t expect the voices at neoGAF or this discussion board to be representative for the market in general on this issue.

In the beginning of next year they may have achieved some further cost reductions and will add the rumble controller without increasing the BOM.

Will this new controller (I'd named it "Sixaxis Shock" or somesuch myself to capitalize on the PS3-exclusive brand for its wireless controller but whatever :p) use that improved and more precise rumble motor that was discussed in the other thread?

Peace.
Presumably, not least because the TouchSense is supposed to be more compatible with motion. But then Wii uses simple rumble. They didn't make a big hoohah about next-gen rumble, so I'm worried the truth is no, this is a simple reintroduction of lousy dual-motor rumble.

As for no price drop, I guess Sony want it nearer to Christmas, and can't announce it now without affecting the market. Unless they really are not going to bother :oops:

Seems like a lot of titles will be retrofitted with rumble, so this was known for quite a while already by publishers, I presume. Heavenly Sword is one of them. :)

I wonder whether the large gab between releasing the DS3-pack in the different territories is because NA and Europe is still stuffed with the old skus. They are still selling 20GB model in Japan, so maybe the chain is quite empty there, which allows the new sku to appear so much before anywhere else.
?
Did I miss the part where they said it was going to be included in the PS3 package?

I guess the reason is quite a common one, they want to test it close to home, then release a revised edition (if it's needed) fixing any problems that might've become apparent in every day use by "real" people who probably throw their controllers on the floor in a huff. :LOL:

Presumably, not least because the TouchSense is supposed to be more compatible with motion. But then Wii uses simple rumble. They didn't make a big hoohah about next-gen rumble, so I'm worried the truth is no, this is a simple reintroduction of lousy dual-motor rumble.

As for no price drop, I guess Sony want it nearer to Christmas, and can't announce it now without affecting the market. Unless they really are not going to bother :oops:
I think you are worrying about nothing Shifty.

In the other thread there are "hands on" reports saying things like you can feel which direction the fire is coming from through the rumble.

Seems far more advanced than two motors either "buzzing" or "rumbling" in unison.

Come on, did anyone REALLY expect a new model or price drop at this point? It's September. The PS3 is selling more than 100K a month, which is good for right now.

Honestly, no one should be expecting any announcements. When the price drops, it's basically going ot be the 60GB dropping to $399 to finally clean out the rest of the inventory, and the 80GB model will get stripped of it's pack in's, and retail for $499, and I expect this to happen on Black Friday.

Did I miss the part where they said it was going to be included in the PS3 package?

I'm assuming it will replace the current one, kind of like Dual Shock replaced the original PS1 controller, but yeah it hasn't been said anywhere, I quess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm sure it will eventually, but I'm sure the original dual shock was out for ages before it was included in any of the PS1 packages.

100K per month is good??

Well, it's not amazing, like the Wii, but it's certainly nothing to scoff at, considering Sony's 'bad rep' and their high price.

You figure, it sells at least what, 100K in the US and EU per month, and somewhere around 50K in JPN.

So 350K per month world wide, while not amazing, in fact, not even 'great'...it's not 'bad' for right now. That's not saying Sony can live off of that, but for right now, during the summer months, when sales are generally average to low, it's not terrible.

Now, if the holiday's roll around, and Sony isn't busting out 200K per month at a MINIMUM between mid October to December...then there's reason to worry.

But for right now, getting caught up in sales figures and proclaiming doom is silly.

KAZUO HIRAI, PRESIDENT AND GROUP CEO OF SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT, OUTLINES PLANS FOR PLAYSTATION BUSINESS AT TOKYO GAME SHOW 2007 KEYNOTE SPEECH (PDF)
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/070920ae.pdf

DUALSHOCK®3 WIRELESS CONTROLLER WITH RUMBLE FEATURE TO BE INTRODUCED FOR PLAYSTATION®3 (PDF)
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/070920be.pdf

PLAYSTATION®STORE NOW AVAILABLE THROUGH PC TO DELIVER PLAYSTATION®NETWORK CONTENT SERVICE TO PSP® (PLAYSTATION®PORTABLE) USERS (PDF)
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/070920ce.pdf

Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Evolution Studios and Bigbig Studios Award winning developer of million-seller MotorStorm strengthens SCE Worldwide Studios network (PDF)
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/070920de.pdf

It seems Motorstorm 2 has been confirmed for 2008.

Thanks one ! There is a wealth of information and strategies outlined there but the problem is Kaz did not package it for general consumption. The US team (Jack Tretton, Peter Dille and the new VP of Product Marketing) will have to tailor and realize them for the US market. I guess we will hear more when the time is ripe.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the smallest big things in there for me is being able to power up and power down my PS3 while using Remote Control with PSP. Neat. I think a few people here have been hoping for that.

Power down or put it to sleep?

PS3 has a hard power button but the SixAxis just puts it to sleep if you turn off the System.

100 + 100 + 50 != 350.

Yeah, that's one thing. And the other is that it means the PS3 is selling less then its competitors, the gap between the user bases is increasing, and this will have inevitable consequences in 3rd party support. Low software sales can even drive 2nd party partners away.

Look at the release date of FFXIII - 2009. This is because Square needs a much bigger user base to break even on such a big project and they're obviously thinking that the PS3 will take that long for that. Based on Konami's recent comments, MGS4 may really head to the Xbox as well if Sony can't get their act together for this Christmas.

Arwin said:
One of the smallest big things in there for me is being able to power up and power down my PS3 while using Remote Control with PSP. Neat. I think a few people here have been hoping for that.

Yes. I have been waiting for a way for PSP to interact with PS3 even when RemotePlay is not turned on.

The issue with Sony's communication is fragmentation and "constipation". If Steve Jobs were to present this, it would not contain "strategies". The meat would be something a customer can use/do/appreciate easily on Playstation. Turning on/off a PS3 remotely is nice as a sidetrack but what for ?

The new Product Marketing VP and the PSN VP now have a pool of ... things ... (mostly from past 2 years of work) they need to string together to form something bigger.

Has the 6-month free access with T-Mobile expired yet ? What games are playable remotely ? What media can be accessed via the PS3 ? Are the 3rd party DLNA servers robust enough to use ? Does PSP and PS3 key mapping work well for all games ? How to sync easily between PSP and the PC PSN ? In fact, how high is the RemotePlay priority ? How does it tie in with PS Home ? etc. etc.

wco81 said:
Power down or put it to sleep?

PS3 has a hard power button but the SixAxis just puts it to sleep if you turn off the System.

Standby/sleep of course.

I just noticed that when PS3 is in RemotePlay mode, F@H can still run in the background (which is cool :) ).

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue with Sony's communication is fragmentation and "constipation". If Steve Jobs were to present this, it would not contain "strategies". The meat would be something a customer can use/do/appreciate easily on Playstation. Turning on/off a PS3 remotely is nice as a sidetrack but what for ?

The new Product Marketing VP and the PSN VP now have a pool of ... things ... (mostly from past 2 years of work) they need to string together to form something bigger.

Apples announcements are only targeted at consumers. SCE's on the other hand seems targeted more at third-party developers, the general media AND consumers. That is my impression at least.....

Back