Tekken 7 announcement leaked - Will use Unreal Engine 4 ?

I did a long time ago. Problem is there's just too much other stuff to play for me to stick with one game for long periods of time. Believe it or not, but Tekken in particular is generally so content rich that I'll happily just play the single player like a mad man because I wanna unlock all the goodies.

I did a long time ago. Problem is there's just too much other stuff to play for me to stick with one game for long periods of time. Believe it or not, but Tekken in particular is generally so content rich that I'll happily just play the single player like a mad man because I wanna unlock all the goodies.

I know what you mean. Too many games too little time.

Yeah. And with fighting games in particular, once you're out you're usually out for good. That is unless you fancy being humiliated online repeatedly..

Yeah. And with fighting games in particular, once you're out you're usually out for good. That is unless you fancy being humiliated online repeatedly..
Exactly. You need to practice to get in shape if you want to go back. They arent just games. They are like chess in fast motion. And the problem is, while the good players play all the time and never forget its even harder for those that abandon it for a while and revisit the game when a new sequel arrives. Its almost like starting from the beginning. I think its one of the reasons why the audience shrunk. Back in the old times they were a primary genre. Everyone was playing fighting games and everyone had someone on their level to play with. Now the high level players are the constant visitors and its easy to get obliterated if you are absent for some time. Fighting games are a secondary genre and most time is dedicated to other genres so its hard to keep up. I become very good almost semi high level play when I practice but when I abandon it I go back to good player. Then you ve got 50 unique characters to learn their strengths and weaknesses in order to be able to compete with any sutuation thrown at you. But its hard to be a high level player if you dont have time to learn the frame data of almost all

Also skills in other games aren't portable. Any aim-based shooter, whether FPS, TPS, top-down space twin-stick shooter, whatever, is going to use the same coordination skills. Fighters are all about timed button presses. In essence the epitome the QTE genre! :p Tekken was fun local competition in the early days. We were all casual gamers who just pressed the buttons and saw what happened, both the moves ("How did you do that?!") and the CG stories. I tried to learn a few of the characters but all too often found myself beaten by button-mashing mates. I grabbed the download port on PS3 and it was good for a few giggles but soon became rather shallow and dull. It's a niche genre, but if that niche remains large enough, it's viable for Tekken to chase it and make a living from it.

What are you talking about Tekken 5 was an amazing game, it was played in Evo so that tells you something. Tekken 6 was great too and it was played at Evo as well, the problems with that game had nothing to do with gameplay but with issues like long load times and lag.

And Tekken 7 is better than rebranding this new game Tekken, a trend that's so common these days. Medal of Honour, Tomb Raider, Thief, Mirror's Edge (only after one game lol).

They added the gawdaweful "adventure" mode because they ran out of ideas...;)

Final Fantasy X, XI, XII, XXIII, XIV. DQ VIII, IX, X.

Those two franchises are the worst offenders. The former has been going downhill for sometime so if I were you I wouldn't use them as examples of good games.:LOL:

I become very good almost semi high level play when I practice but when I abandon it I go back to good player. Then you ve got 50 unique characters to learn their strengths and weaknesses in order to be able to compete with any sutuation thrown at you. But its hard to be a high level player if you dont have time to learn the frame data of almost all

I know exactly what you're describing.

Last edited by a moderator:
They added the gawdaweful "adventure" mode because they ran out of ideas...;)
What else are they supposed to add to a fighting game? You're being pretty ridiculous. Maybe they should make it free roam and give the combatants guns to be really original?

Those two franchises are the worst offenders. The former has been going downhill for sometime so if I were you I wouldn't use them as examples of good games.:LOL:
The usual RudeCurve laughing smilie that only comes back to smack you in the face when the facts are used. Metacritic scores for Final Fantasy (latest PS versions) in order

FF7 - 92
FF8 - 90
FF9 - 94
FF10- 92
FF11- 85
FF12- 92
FF13- 83
FF14 - 86 (from a 49 when just the PC version before the overhaul)

Meanwhile, here's a look at how their non-cardinal named products reviewed on PS...

FF Tactics - 83
FF Chronicles - 90
FF Origins - 79
FFX2 - 85
FFXIII2 - 79

What does this actual evidence show? That even up to 12 iterations, a franchise can pull out quality title after quality title, and that spin-off names statistically are inferior games on average.

Ergo, as every sane contributor in this thread is well aware, the name makes not the game. When you've built a brand that your market trusts, it makes sense to reuse it and let them know that they're going to get what they value.

What else are they supposed to add to a fighting game? You're being pretty ridiculous. Maybe they should make it free roam and give the combatants guns to be really original?

Adding nothing is better than adding garbage.

The usual RudeCurve laughing smilie that only comes back to smack you in the face when the facts are used. Metacritic scores for Final Fantasy (latest PS versions) in order

FF7 - 92
FF8 - 90
FF9 - 94
FF10- 92
FF11- 85
FF12- 92
FF13- 83

Meanwhile, here's a look at how their non-cardinal named products reviewed on PS...

FF Tactics - 83
FF Chronicles - 90
FF Origins - 79
FFX2 - 85
FFXIII2 - 79

What does this actual evidence show? That even up to 12 iterations, a franchise can pull out quality title after quality title, and that spin-off names statistically are inferior games on average.
Japanese RPGs always get good ratings...they love them...doesn't mean they're good games...just means they have a loyal following.

Ergo, as every sane contributor in this thread is well aware, the name makes not the game. When you've built a brand that your market trusts, it makes sense to reuse it and let them know that they're going to get what they value.

I disagree.

But the content hasn't been good for a long time...

The last Tekken game I bought was Tekken 5 and it's horrible...

Even Virtual Fighter and Street Fighter are only at 5 and 4...

BTW the best Star Wars were the first 3 movies not the later ones when they changed it to crappy Episode 1..2..3..etc.

Just shows they ran out of good ideas and are just milking the franchise by adding a stupid number to it.

Does Ken Kutaragi still work at Bandai/Namco? He should be fired for letting this stupid naming convention drag on like this...

But the content hasn't been good for a long time...

Tekken 5... horrible...

:oops:
These two words should not have been allowed in the same sentence together.

Does not compute.

FF7 - 92
FF8 - 90
FF9 - 94
FF10- 92
FF11- 85
FF12- 92
FF13- 83

FF Tactics - 83
FF Chronicles - 90
FF Origins - 79
FFX2 - 85
FFXIII2 - 79

Developers usually make spin offs knowing either that they are not putting their whole resources into them or that they are trying something different from the main projects. They want the goodwill of the franchise to be associated with them for commercial reasons but they dont want the spin off to infect the brand name if it fails.
This is why spin offs are called spin offs and dont carry traditional numbers.

I believe Tekken 7 is one of these games that can do without the numerical sign and still be a proper sequel. Perhaps if its an epilogue of a chapter (of 7 games) that will signify the beginning of a new Tekken chapter. I think it will be great if new faces are introduced with the same but more refined fighting styles as well as new fighting styles.

The plot with the current characters went too far. A great deal of the characters are in their fifties

Japanese RPGs always get good ratings...they love them...doesn't mean they're good games...just means they have a loyal following.
I knew that would be your response. "Independent measures from a wide range of sources collated into an average that expresses a collective evaluation independent from personal weightings that don't agree with my personal sentiments are wrong, ergo should be ignored." As it's so easy for you to dismiss any material that doesn't agree with your own view, it makes discussion with you pointless. You'll express your POV but not enter into sane discussion. Therefore, please consider my arguments not addressed to you but to the other contributors on the board who would benefit from having real facts to support views rather than RudeCurve's baseless assertions.

For those wondering what a 7th iteration means, facts show that being a long running series doesn't necessarily mean it's tired and will be a poor iteration of the series. But then the Tekken fans in this thread already know that it seems, as they've enjoyed the sequels that Metacritic shows a robust ~81 average despite criticisms from some who haven't even played later games and who felt the 88 scoring Tekken 5 was horrible.

It would be kinda cool if they went back to the drawing board for the next installement. Tekken's basically been Tekken3 for a decade now. The devs just bolted layers upon layers of systems on top of the gameplay core over the years. TTT2's sheer amount of systems was just way too daunting for anyone who wasn't 100% ready and on board. SFIV did this pretty well. There was basically one single feature (the focus attack) for you to get your head around, and that would lead to all kinds of stuff in the hands of a seasoned player.

A lot of people say they simplified 4 too much in comparison to 3. In the newest iteration of 4, its pretty complex again

Come to think of it; we already had Tekken Ball, Tekken Force and Tekken Bowl.
I really thought that a bowling game was the limit, but Tekken Football or Tekken Kart would have been pretty cool as well :p

I am really psyched for Tekken 7, even though I think Tekken 3 was the best Tekken ever (especially looking at the extra modes which were quite fun). It also ranks among the best looking PS1 titles ever

Tekken 3 is the best Tekken to me also because there was a 17 or 18 year time-leap; so you played with Forrest Law, the son of law. King was new as well. A lot of characters got older, except for Nina, because she was frozen :love: , Michelle was succeeded by her daughter Julia and so on. I think it's one of the greatest sequels because of the whole 17 years into the future setting. Great new characters as well.

I don't think the series took another similar big leap. Tekken 4 added borders to the environment, and had a weird insect looking Yoshimitsu (which was super cool), but 5 was just a more streamlined version I think. 6 was quite forgettable to me, but I enjoyed Tag2.

All the games have been really good, but I just think that 3 is super legendary in a lot of aspects and if 7 could do the same then I will buy 2 copies! I did the same for 3 (regular pal and NTSC import)

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the time when tekken games were graphical showcases on ps1 and ps2. I hope this one won't disappoint graphicaly.

Using UE4 is imo a good decision-their own engine never seemed special to me. But I do wonder if the sort out AF on PS4...I wonder if there is really a problem? I also hope that they reduce the amount of effects a bit...all those punch/kick effects didn't look
Good to me.

I didn't play Tekken 6 that much, but I am interested to see what they come up with in Tekken 7.

I myself think Tekken 5 was great, enjoyed the gameplay & backgrounds and Arcade History was excellent.

I only wish PSN Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection on PS3 had all the content of the PS2 release.

Back