Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

It's technically possible. I think they're famous last words though. Modifying lv2_kernel.self is just a huge risk for anyone involved. And again, it's completely extraneous to homebrew.

Believe it or not, Sony themselves put a function inside the SDK that allowed the execution of SELFs, and this method actually does work for booting some games...

It's sadly not that simple. There's two distinct signatures required for the two steps to getting homebrew on the PS3: a. package installation, b. app execution. The latter was known, but not possible because the tools to do it weren't properly working. The former was unknown until today. Working tools to do both were released only today so now signed homebrew is starting to crop up.

For homebrew developers, all that's needed to worry about is developing and signing your code. The rest, app installation, is already handled. The needed tools were released before I made my statement of it being exactly that simple.

There's also different ways of getting into the system initially to get your code running that isn't all that difficult at all.

You're right on the money on how geohotz isn't facilitating pirating, but then it's just a matter of time before they add in their own tools to enable easy pirating by launching games directly from the hdd.

He achieved this by patching the game's main executable file (EBOOT.BIN) and making the PS3 think it's a PSN game.

This is very similar in concept to the steps taken on the XBox 360 to translate from an ISO (DVD) into GOD (Games On Demand) image. Albeit once the hacking started this happened significantly quicker on the PS3.

guy named flukes1 is working on a cfw to permanently patch the LV2 to enable isolaoders etc. Think he said it should be out soon. Wish everything can stay homebrew only but at the end of the day, most ppl only care about pirated games.:devilish:

And he ylod 2 ps3's trying to patch lv2. It's been said countless times "omg omg.. don't patch LV2"

And he ylod 2 ps3's trying to patch lv2. It's been said countless times "omg omg.. don't patch LV2"

ya, and Geohot also replied a few time on irc to flukes1 "patching lv2 is bad". Dunno if he mean by piracy is bad or there is another way around it. The replacing eboot trick only work on limited games and a lot of them has trophy error.

First CFW with backup manager support has emerged:

However, it seems that it bricked a few slims, so beware ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
When you said backup, I thought a useful utility for backing up save game data and the like, unlike Sony's poopy monolithic backup option. But following thelink I see it's using "backup" as a euphemism of "piracy" and game ripping.

For that reason I've removed the link. I appreciate running games you own from HDD is a useful feature, but the link is running too close to straight piracy that I don't think it fits in with our anti-piracy position.

On the subject of bricking, this is patching LV2, right? Which Geohotz said was a bad idea. So every bricked console is now a dead console. the question is what causes the bricking if it's not consistent. I guess a timing issue, but that's a stab in the dark.

That's interesting. That opints to a hardware incompatibility. What is it about the flash chips that could be affecting the boot hacks? Could such issues across other hardware revision for any CE device impact the system's overall compability? I'm reminded of incompatibilities between white PS2 slims and some titles, which were unexpected when you ahve what's supposed to be a standard hardware. And overall for homebrew this suggests, at least at a low enough level, there is going to have to be serious testing across devices, which would be fairly expensive for a non-commercial developer if they keep bricking PS3s!

When you said backup, I thought a useful utility for backing up save game data and the like, unlike Sony's poopy monolithic backup option. But following thelink I see it's using "backup" as a euphemism of "piracy" and game ripping.

NONONO it´s for playing backups from the harddrive! :-/

Yep...they even hacked COD4 back in the says, infact the situation was much worse than XBL...and that was in 2008.

Back