Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by senas8, Jan 23, 2010.

1. -tkf-

Legend

How come he isn´t sued to hell and back?, shouldn't Sony be able to dig whatever they want out of the closet and just clear him of money on lawyer fees?

I mean, copy 10 MP3 files and you got hell to pay, break a protection by reverse engineering and tampering with hardware in order to enable illegal use of a console and you are ok?

2. obonicus

Veteran

The only mention of root key:
    Doesn't sound like he has it yet, but rather that he'd post the key, as was done with HD-DVD.

His blog doesn't mention that he's gotten the key, and he's stopped tweeting. The last things he's replied to are essentially backbiting between him and the ps3news community (if we filter out all the sycophantic 'wooo, h4ckz! stfu haters' comments).

Fake edit: I say we start a rumor that Sony's paid him off, that's why he's kept quiet.

3. androvsky

Newcomer

I'm starting to get the impression that in a couple weeks, geohot will gladly welcome rumors like that.

4. draconian

Newcomer

The guy might be a hacker genius, but the guy lacks common sense. He has pretty much admitted to breaking copyright laws by downloading miley cyrus mp3 and Lost episodes. He has pretty much opened himself up to lawsuits by Disney and ABC.

more quotes from him

#104 draconian, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  5. T.B.

Newcomer

Ninjas, man. Ninjas.

6. patsu

Legend

The PS2 compatibility question appears a few times on his blog, with people talking about "PS2 emulator". If he's not familiar with PS3 gaming, it's not unreasonable to say: Sure, if someone writes a PS2 emulator, you can do it. These are not so important details. :p He doesn't have to go investigate the feasibility. The more interesting things are his techniques, and what he can and is going to do with his findings.

EDIT: I wonder how many people start saving for a PS3 since the news broke.

7. Afrikan

Newcomer

not only copyright laws, this guy has broken MAN LAWS!

downloading Miley Cyrus music?

mandatory 40 year sentence per "song".....and he had the nerve to get 3 songs, put him away!

but seriously, I have never seen a person who openly breaks laws......be so open about himself.

I mean his name is known, and he has his picture on his tweeter page.

maybe that is why Sony and company are giving him time to speak more...its like the more he speaks the more he leaves himself vulnerable to have to eventually shut down his whole operation.

#107 Afrikan, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  8. tuna

Veteran

Sounds like you listened to a lot of Cyrus' music....

Anyway, he does not seem to be doing anything illegal. And saying that you like to smoke weed is not enough (I think at least) for you to be convicted of possetion of narcotics.

9. obonicus

Veteran

No, but rule #1 of the internet is pretty much 'don't incriminate yourself'. Especially don't incriminate yourself when your real name is known and you've posted your address on twitter.

10. Titanio

Legend

His last post is actually a rather sarcastic "Everyone can already run unsigned code, it's called OtherOS" when pushed about whether he has code running or not.

So...uh...yeah. I dunno what to take from that. He seems quite evasive on the subject.

He should hurry up and show if he has arbitrary code running outside OtherOS. If he doesn't, the claims he's making (more forthrightly again on the BBC and The Register) are premature, and a bit unfair to any other hackers out there who've been working on it. Press outlets are taking his word for it because of his iPhone reputation, but he's being too coy on the bottom line of whether he's gained arbitrary execution rights or not.

If it's a matter of not yet having this milestone reached he should just come out and say that too. It would at least let people report accurately on things, and report claims about having full control as being speculative outcomes based on his work to date, rather than as done deals.

If it is a done deal then it doesn't take much to show that or to even say so.

11. obonicus

Veteran

Right, exactly my thoughts.

I would actually have given him the benefit of the doubt if he had a video and said "This 'Hello World' running on the PPU is executed via my hack and not via otherOs." Now, after the OtherOS comment, I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure he shouldn't have tweeted a 'oh hey btw i just hacked the ps3'.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Semantics, 4850 is just a slower clocked version with slower memory of the 4870 using the exact same chip. :)

As for XBMC, I think there are or soon will be very cheap stand alone XBMC boxes (like less than 100 USD).

Regards,
    SB

13. patsu

Legend

Slower clocked doesn't go well with supercomputing ? Quoting a low end unit is not going to make Cell go away in supercomputing. It will be replaced quicker by the faster GPGPUs and newer CPU designs. For what it's worth, it's still in active use today.

He might already have visits or contacted by interesting/intimidating people.

14. obonicus

Veteran

Are Sony ninjas scarier than Apple ninjas? (I sort of envision Sony DMCA ninjas as the Keystone Kops of the ninja universe.) Though Apple doesn't currently have as big a stake in keeping the iPhone inviolate as Sony does.

15. androvsky

Newcomer

Big update on Geohot's blog:

Again with the PPE being able to "kick out" the isolated SPEs. And what's this about all the SPEs being stopped in OtherOS? I know they're usable, does he mean they're reset or something?

16. patsu

Legend

I am scratching my head too. May be what he meant was: By the time he got to OtherOS, the PPE has already kicked out all the SPEs ? (i.e., his own PPE program or something stopped/crashed them progressively ?). Sounds comical though. Just wait for him to post the key. :)

May be the other SPUs were trying to contact the missing SPU and were blocked.

17. manux

Veteran Regular

I wonder what geohot has really achieved.

To my knowledge the video memory has already been accessible(even though a bit tricky) http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2009-October/007057.html

I wonder if he is just confused and figured out stuff that was already known(without realizing it) or if he really has managed to do something new.

I think if he was able to access stuff that blocked gpu access would validate his claims nicely. Good starting point would be to start from here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9479

edit. And this is interesting thread to follow http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12794
    edit2. Also his ramblings about spu's sound like he hasn't realised that spu's have been accessible always so there is possibility he is reinventing the already known wheel here too.

#117 manux, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  18. rpg.314

Veteran

He has added 2 hypervisor calls. Nobody has managed that so far.

19. manux

Veteran Regular

The question is, has he really? ;) Well, I'm kind of skeptic his efforts will provide anything fruitful. There is so much nonsense in his blogposts that something has to sound right but the amount of crap just makes me think he might just be reinventing wheels/misinterpreting stuff.

20. Oninotsume

Newcomer

Personally I hope he fails at this, or that the real world implementation
    is difficult enough to prevent the PS3 from becoming a total software
    hack like the Dreamcast and PSP.

I understand a hacker may be driven by challenge, or glory hunting.
    However, it's fairly obvious that this man intends to gain notoriety not
    from the hack itself, but by providing others with the keys for piracy.

From a technological standpoint the hack is interesting,
    but for someone working in the game industry it's depressing.

Oninotsume