Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

The problem is that Nintendo didn't win against piracy , there are about 10 diffrent hack cards now that are still selling . Sony will have the same problem if they win the apeal

From the summary:
Basically they have NAMED the original makers of PSJailbreak, and their BANK ACCOUNT, and all units that have been ordered must be delivered to the lawyers.
There is going to be also damages set for the resellers to pay to Sony for all the trouble, etc.

So Sony now knows where this thing comes from. I wonder where that will lead?

Lawsuit or not, cat is out of the bag. Only way to fix it is via a new firmware update and making sure any news games coming out will not work with the 3.41 firmware. A handful of pirates playing older games offline without trophies won't really matter, since most of those games can also be pirated on the 360 as well, usually with better graphics :). I'd wager most people interested in playing GOW3, HR, UC2 just offline has already beaten the game and traded/sold it, rented it, or bought it for cheap.

That's all assuming they can make a firmware to prevent this hack from working, AND that there is no way for a new hack to bypass a fixed firmware. AND that there is no way to make a custom firmware bootloader to temporarily load new firmware.

Possible certainly, but not guaranteed.

Regards,
SB

All they need to do is close the heap overflow and change the handshake from what I've read. Not hard to do software wise the issue is that all your server dongles just get obsoleted at once. They do it relatively soon and the damage from this will be minimal. They wait too long and it could explode if the running of custom code helps in the search to load custom firmware.

Oh aye, I'd certainly say it's more likely than not that Sony will be able to plug this hole. But there's no guarantee, especially if this hack allows further investigation and more intimate knowledge of how the PS3 works.

Then again, MS was able to completely shut down the JTAG exploit for non-exploited X360's, so I'm willing to bet Sony will be able to shut this down. But again, it's not guaranteed.

Regards,
SB

They can shut it down on a hardware level very easily and I would imagine that as soon as the new firmware is out, the encryption keys on the executables being pressed onto new BD-ROMs will be changed. Without the decryption keys in the future firmware updates, the hack will cease to work on new games.

I doubt there's much the hackers can do to exploit future firmwares on a hardware level, but Geohot's memory glitch can't be overcome by any firmware update so the reversers will always have an "in". The only question is whether they can produce custom firmware updates or not in order to keep the piracy business going.

Today marks the 2 weeks from the appearance of the first PSJailbreak USB Sticks on the net. Sony is still waiting...

They need to plug the hole and find alternatives for existing service people to use. Should take more than 2 weeks, including careful testing, changing and distributing devkit patches, reviewing and enforcing new work policies, etc.

The legal action was surprisingly swift though.

EDIT: I believe the hole will be closed by the time GT5 launches.

Which key(s) did he retrieve during his exploit to make the decryptor ?

Without a friendly OS run-time, it'd be very difficult to take over the hardware glitch and proceed to poke around the system internals.

Which key(s) did he retrieve during his exploit to make the decryptor ?

Without a friendly OS run-time, it'd be very difficult to take over the hardware glitch and proceed to poke around the system internals.

My understanding of the decryption program is that it didn't retrieve any keys at all. What he did was force the hypervisor to run data through the regular decryption routine that sits in the isolated SPU, then shuts down all the security functions after the data's decrypted. Sony can change their keys all they want, and that would still work. What they'd need to do is change how the decryption routine works so that homebrew won't be able to call it any more... or just plug any unsigned code holes in GameOS so that homebrew can't do anything in the first place.

Once future firmwares are clean, then Sony can change the keys so that the older, hacked firmwares can't decrypt newer games. Or they can just change a few APIs so newer games just don't run on the older OS, but that's easier for hackers to get around.

Heh, anyone silly enough to use it online and not expecting to be banned were delusional. Especially when it's so much easier to detect than drive firmware hacking on X360, and accounts get banned over there despite that.

Regards,
SB

Is that the fabled PS3 perma ban or yet another 30 day suspension ?

It's the same error number Sony's been using for a banned console, so I don't think we know the length of the ban.

Also, some other modding sites are saying the source has some credibility issues, and other are saying console bans for running the jailbreak haven't started yet. Is that a photoshop? "consoleSuspended" instead of an error number?

Back