Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

NTFS support sounds like a forum comment being hyped etc.

Probably somebody complained about the 4GB limit and then somebody else said that its due to FAT32 and NTFS is needed. With a 3rd person asking for it to be supported by the USB stick, which really has nothing to do with the Filesystem that the PS3 can read, but hey, lets not let facts mess with a good story :D

I don't think you need a license to read NTFS drives, OSX, WDTV Live, and even some TV's can read NTFS. Writing to NTFS might be a different issue though, and they could just make it ext3 since it's readable from windows (with programs), OSX and linux....

In any case, it doesn't matter as new games will be only playable with new firmware and forcing them to run with old firmware will make them crash, so only the sales of pure offline catalog games will be affected, which isn't that much to begin with.

I find it excessively hard to believe that the hackers will code a bespoke PS3 NTFS driver bearing in mind how small the payload on the USB device is, and how crappy the backup manager is.

I actually like that they cut out the backup manager so they can do homebrew but not piracy with the code until someone writes a program through homebrerw to do it or they just swap in ps3jailbreak jcode. But either way it's a nice gesture.

Lame the devs try to make a good gesture about their intentions and someone ruins it within a few hours.

The one place is being swamped for orders on their inexpensive Teensy++ USB Development Board. I wonder how many they've had now. I'm a little surprised the open-source hack made it out there so quickly and before any place really had a chance to extract obscene amounts of money from the scene.

The one place is being swamped for orders on their inexpensive Teensy++ USB Development Board. I wonder how many they've had now. I'm a little surprised the open-source hack made it out there so quickly and before any place really had a chance to extract obscene amounts of money from the scene.

On twitter one of the devs updated as the different stores ran out of stock :)

That's a clever exploit, and you have to wonder how they figured it out. Educated trial and error with the Jig details they knew, or inside info on the inner operations of PS3 when booting?

You'd have also thought console companie would know to plug any and every heap/stack to stop overflows by now!

I thought if it's not copyright code, it's legal? Seems to be the case for other modchips in Australia, I wonder why it's different for Sony?

Looks like modding other consoles is certainly legal in AU : http://www.mod-store.com.au/ So I guess the PS3 gets a exception?

I actually like that they cut out the backup manager so they can do homebrew but not piracy with the code until someone writes a program through homebrerw to do it or they just swap in ps3jailbreak jcode. But either way it's a nice gesture.
Personally i'd think that was done to protect themselves from potential recriminations.

Back