Team Fortress 2 Trailer

Prey.

Team Fortress 2.

Dare we ask: Is the Duke gonna make a big splash in 2006? :p

Acert93 said:
Prey.

Team Fortress 2.

Dare we ask: Is the Duke gonna make a big splash in 2006? :p

I don't see how it possibly could. Not that it couldn't be released, but that it won't make a big splash. TF2 simply would have been yet another team based FPS if they hadn't changed the art direction and brought the game back to its roots. That's what is so exciting about it, plus the incredible (HA!) visuals on top of it.

A large part of what made Duke Nukem great was the voice acting by Bruce Campbell and his one liners that were taken from the Evil Dead movie series... well, he's already done those things again for the Evil Dead's own line of games.

What else makes Duke standout? Cops that are Pigs? A movie theatre where you can turn on the projector and watch a XXX film?

Hey! He hijacked the thread, not me!

:D

I must admit, the art style (almost lifted straight out of 'The Incredibles'?) has me interested in this game where the usual multiplayer shooter would have passed me by. The comic approach suggests a less 'extreme', more accessible game to me.

RancidLunchmeat said:
A large part of what made Duke Nukem great was the voice acting by Bruce Campbell
Bruce doesn't do any voice work in DN3D, that's 3DRealms themselves doing all the duke one-liners (a number of which they borrowed from the evil dead movies yes, but that's a different can of worms). Heh, Duke doesn't sound the least bit like Bruce anyway.

Hey! He hijacked the thread, not me!
:p

Guden Oden said:
Bruce doesn't do any voice work in DN3D, that's 3DRealms themselves doing all the duke one-liners (a number of which they borrowed from the evil dead movies yes, but that's a different can of worms). Heh, Duke doesn't sound the least bit like Bruce anyway.

Bugger! But thanks for clearing that up for me.

Looking at the old TF2 screenshots is kind of depressing, I can't believe I was looking forward to it as much as I was.

I hope this is in fact TF2 and not TF:Source.

I hope the lame 60s james bond-y music can be turned off! :p

Other than that, game looks really nifty. Nice to get a break from all the realistic human-killing, I really don't like games anymore where you shoot hordes of people to death. There's so much death in the world anyway, toons (or evil space aliens, or nazis I guess :LOL:) are a much better option.

Yeah, vince called me a bleeding heart liberal once, I know it's sad.

It's ironic. Sitting in the cockpit of a virtual racecar is endlessly entertaining; but my tolerance for first-person shooters can be measured in seconds. This is probably why I saw the Team Fortress 2 trailer for the first time yesterday. :oops:

For people like me who loathe first-person shooters this could be interesting -- provided the action, like the trailer, isn't always in the first-person. I think a cinematic presentation with god-like undertones (i.e., watching enemy soldiers barrel towards your character) would give the game an 'active' audience feel.

[size=-2]P.S. Caricatures engaged in over-the-top action are the stuff Mario is made of ... a brilliant design element.[/size]

For people like me who loathe first-person shooters this could be interesting -- provided the action, like the trailer, isn't always in the first-person. I think a cinematic presentation with god-like undertones (i.e., watching enemy soldiers barrel towards your character) would give the game an 'active' audience feel.
It's 100% an FPS, and would be hard to fit in any game-stopping cinematics in the multiplayer... which would be what the game is FOR.

The stylings will obviously be the same, but I rather think anything else you're getting at it is just from the cutesy and cinematic feel of the trailer. Which tend to be made cinematically. ;)

If you die a lot maybe you can set up some of those moments with the free floating camera when dead. Hehe.

I think the attraction to TF2 is the classes and how varied they are. It looks wildly entertaining from the trailers.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's what the attraction to the original TF was... ;) MAN, I miss that game!

Of course these days it's not quite the novelty it was when it first came out.

It's 100% an FPS, and would be hard to fit in any game-stopping cinematics in the multiplayer...

It wouldn't disrupt the continuity of events as much as swap moments of activity with passivity, kind of like what Burnout does when wrecks unfurl or Fight Night with knockdown replays. :neutral:

It wouldn't disrupt the continuity of events as much as swap moments of activity with passivity, kind of like what Burnout does when wrecks unfurl or Fight Night with knockdown replays. :neutral:

You basically mean a replay of when you died? I guess that would work. But a break in the action when you kill someone would never work, you'd get killed yourself right away every time.

I could see a cinamatic playback of your death working out, it would get old quick, but it shouldnt be to hard to implement.

Which is hard to synch well with potentially dozens of players, not to mention is very disjointed when presented to people who are involved in their own action all over the map and may be nowhere near the "point of... uh... cinematicity."

The might indeed have some fun with you personally in your death, respawning, or spectating, I suppose.

If you die a lot maybe you can set up some of those moments with the free floating camera when dead. Hehe.

I think the attraction to TF2 is the classes and how varied they are. It looks wildly entertaining from the trailers.

Actually, if you die you will respawn instantly, so there's no free floating camera -mode. Except when you are spectating match.

Actually, if you die you will respawn instantly, so there's no free floating camera -mode. Except when you are spectating match.

Was that how the first TF was? I dont remember.

Many games have you wait for say 8 second or so before you respawn.

Which is hard to synch well with potentially dozens of players, not to mention is very disjointed when presented to people who are involved in their own action all over the map and may be nowhere near the "point of... uh... cinematicity."

It's all about storytelling from a more engaging perspective than purely first-person. :neutral:

If the game unfolded like the trailer, you would be an actor and a spectator in a production populated by other cast / audience members. This would make the entertainer and the entertained inseparable; both would digest the same narrative. And as a consequence, 'actors' will tend to have more information at their disposal while 'spectators' have a personal stake in the action.

If you were to expire (as Heavy did in the trailer), those who are nearby might be privy to the spectacle ... in real time ... via provocative cinematography. * So whether you're an adversary or an advocate, you'd know where Heavy died, how he died and, quite possibly, who (or what) killed him -- foreknowledge that could propel the game to a new level. :oops:

* [size=-2]Survivors would be able to eavesdrop on characters whose stage they practically share.[/size]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back