Nvidia ULMB2 (ultra-low motion blur 2 strobing for gsync monitors)

Scott_Arm

Legend

Watching now. Hopefully backlight strobing will eventually become more side-effect free.

It's not fully clear to me what the improvements are from ULMB1 to 2. I'm guessing it's mostly the way they describe the variable overdrive? I know gsync already had that, but that seems to be the only thing they really talked about in detail. Just not sure what the differences are.

Hopefully it has better image quality than ULMB1.

Last edited:
I want to see this tested with the refresh lowered to see how well it's handled by their variable overdrive. I'd also like to see how it looks with unstable framerate. I'm assuming it doesn't support gsync, like ULMB1. I think Asus was the only one that tried to support variable refresh with ELMB.

Blurbusters has an article going into this in more details - https://blurbusters.com/nvidia-announces-ulmb-2-improved-motion-blur-reduction/

It's not fully clear to me what the improvements are from ULMB1 to 2. I'm guessing it's mostly the way they describe the variable overdrive? I know gsync already had that, but that seems to be the only thing they really talked about in detail. Just not sure what the differences are.

Nvidia's ULMB was very focused on minimizing strobe cross talk I believe and in doing so one of the limitations was actually it did not support very high refresh rates. For example - https://www.techspot.com/review/2097-asus-rog-swift-pg259qn/

it's a 360hz monitor but enabling ULMB limits refresh to 240hz.

I want to see this tested with the refresh lowered to see how well it's handled by their variable overdrive. I'd also like to see how it looks with unstable framerate. I'm assuming it doesn't support gsync, like ULMB1. I think Asus was the only one that tried to support variable refresh with ELMB.

Gigabyte also had a version of this which called "Aim Stabilizer Sync" (sound out that acronym btw :LOL: ). I have a recollection of another company doing this as well but it escapes me currently so I could be wrong.

It's worth noting though that these implementations by reports have quite a few trade offs and limitations. It's not the best of both worlds as it is on paper.

Pretty impressive even with some of the limitations (only at select fixed refresh rates so no VRR and no low frame rate support).

But as long as you can game at those specific fixed refresh rates, it's really impressive as this comment by the author in the comments section illustrates.

Mark Rejhon

Early results are in. From what I see, ULMB2 on 360Hz IPS now outperforms DyAc+ on BenQ’s 360Hz E-TN. I do find it impressive that strobing on 360Hz IPS leapfrogged 360Hz TN, thanks to the superlative overdrive tuning and brand new RGB-space overdrive algorithm. What I saw was consistent with what some YouTubers put out, see 2:00 at BadSeed Tech’s video.

Regards,
SB

Pretty impressive even with some of the limitations (only at select fixed refresh rates so no VRR and no low frame rate support).

But as long as you can game at those specific fixed refresh rates, it's really impressive as this comment by the author in the comments section illustrates.

Regards,
SB

I'd be curious to see what it looks like with a frame limiter for 120Hz or 60Hz. Can't remember if it looks super weird if you're strobing the same image multiple times.

The other day I turned on a feature called ELMB on my new monitor and the result was immediately noticeable. Far less blur in the UFO frame rate test.

It did make me lower the monitor to 120Hz from 144 but I couldn't tell any difference with that. I also had to turn off VRR but I haven't noticed any screen tearing with vsync off so it's fine. The reduced blur is really nice, and even though the screen is clearly dimmer it's still bright enough.

That is some amazing image clarity.
What am I looking at? Do they have a pursuit camera on rails, ultra high framerate camera with pursuit in software or are these just photographs testing overdrive?

Better overdrive is great, but is only a small part of motion clarity.

PS. high framerate destroys motion clarity if the PC can't deliver them.

What am I looking at? Do they have a pursuit camera on rails, ultra high framerate camera with pursuit in software or are these just photographs testing overdrive?

Better overdrive is great, but is only a small part of motion clarity.

PS. high framerate destroys motion clarity if the PC can't deliver them.

Been a while since I watched the vid but I believe it's pursuit camera. I don't think high framerate destroys anything. At worst you have a display that's a little too slow in transitions for the refresh rate so you get ghosting in some scenarios. It's no worse that using a slightly lower refresh rate.

Another review. I've only seen good things regarding ULMB2.

Been a while since I watched the vid but I believe it's pursuit camera. I don't think high framerate destroys anything. At worst you have a display that's a little too slow in transitions for the refresh rate so you get ghosting in some scenarios. It's no worse that using a slightly lower refresh rate.

Another review. I've only seen good things regarding ULMB2.
He's talking about the "double flash" or "triple flash" from cinema projectors. Eg. motion doubling because source/display mismatch.

ULMB2 is minor tweak vs. a true line-by-line backlight.

Back