Team Fortress 2 Trailer

Looks great, love the art and the cartoon style yet it pays homage to the general class based theme and grittiness, but it would be nice to see how it looks from the gameplay perspective. If this is Source then they have done a great job with it, the quasi cell shading look and the self shadowing look nice :)

Nice? It looks NICE?

It looks exactly like damn Pixar movie. How much money did it cost to make Toy Story II?

If the game actually looked anything like that, and had game play similar to TFC, it would win GOY hands down.

I haven't seen anything else claiming to be a game that looks anything CLOSE to what was in that trailer.

Really superb art direction. The graphics look excellent as well. I am really looking forward to some multiplayer mayhem. Awesome job so far

Yeah ! Reminds me of "Lupin the III" art style and music. It's a really fun manga/anime. :)
Which platform ?

The Animation is freakken beautiful! Love the style! (however the fire-'pyro' does seem a bit out of place in contrast to the other fx)

Overall when one compares these efforts to what was demonstrated last gen with Zelda Windwaker on the cube it seems possible we will see a very close proximity to this video in the final version on next gen boxes. :cool:

patsu said:
Yeah ! Reminds me of "Lupin the III" art style and music. It's a really fun manga/anime. :)
Which platform ?

I thought the same, very Lupinish. :p
Since HL2 is coming to X360&PS3, this will hopefully get released on them as well.

TheChefO said:
Overall when one compares these efforts to what was demonstrated last gen with Zelda Windwaker on the cube it seems possible we will see a very close proximity to this video in the final version on next gen boxes. :cool:

Hrrrmph. I don't recall Windwaker coming close to what was demonstrated in this trailer. Could be a difference in art direction. I'm not a fan of cartoonish games, but this trailer simply blew me away.

If Valve has really been actually doing this? I'd be... just shocked. When the character models were released earlier, I thought they looked like cool target models to show the style of the direction they were taking the game and I was all for it.

But to actually see them in action, especially this soon after releasing the "banner", you have to wonder what else Valve has finished and how far along they are on this game.

There's been conflicting reports as to whether or not this game would be included with EP2. If this is what they've managed to accomplish, I simply can't believe it would be free.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Hrrrmph. I don't recall Windwaker coming close to what was demonstrated in this trailer.

Agreed they are distant but from what was demonstrated in Windwaker on a system as limited as cube was vs what was shown in this trailer and the potential in NG systems, I expect the end result to be very close to what was shown, or at least it seems possible from what I can see.:smile:

low geometry
depth of field - done
motion blur - done
lighting might get downgraded a smidge along with the shadows but nothing too significant.

The biggest question mark to me is the animation. Hopefully they keep it at this level in the final version for all characters and perhaps even add some subtle fx to the environment as well. Other questionmark is 4xaa (360) as it adds quite a bit to the look and there shouldn't be a reason it's not included but I'm not holding my breath until I see it.

Honestly, it's not even Toy Story 1 quality yet. Nevertheless, I love it. Finally a break from the overly serious, green-and-grey commando stuff (and from armored space marine themes as well).

DemoCoder said:
Well, for me, the shadows look too good compared to other source projects.

That stuck out to me as well as Source had poor shadowing in some areas (e.g. shadows of dynamic objects pass through static geometry and cast onto floors). But then again it has been 2 years since HL2 shipped and 3 years since their target release date. Since they have gone a new art direction with low poly maybe the lighting system got overhauled?

I dunno, but I really hope so as the shadowing really looks great :) The art style reminds me of the Incredibles and IF this is what the game will look like in regards to rendering technology I must say I love the art/tech combo.

Laa-Yosh said:
Honestly, it's not even Toy Story 1 quality yet. Nevertheless, I love it. Finally a break from the overly serious, green-and-grey commando stuff (and from armored space marine themes as well).

Exactly. Not that I hate those (nor like)... but this is a great "break the trend" look, and even better is that it is a classic game that revolutionized Team based FPS. Hopefully they can do it again! After seeing HL2 and now Portal I have to think Valve has some gameplay twists up their sleeves. Just the number of classes is impressive and should allow people a lot of flexibility in choosing a class that fits them.

Lets hope they ship it "when it is done".

Very very nice. If this is in-engine, hats off to Valve. I also think its an amazing comeback for the game. This has been a dead-end for so long now, that a "conventional" TF2 would not have turned many heads. This way it definitely gets attention!

Back