Tales of Symphonia gets very high scores...YAY!!

Wrong.

Tales of Destiny 2 for PS1 is called 'Tales of Eternia' in Japan. The ToP remake for PS1 doesn't have an English release, and is named correctly.

I´d heard it was ToE in japan, but I´d also heard it was the sequel to Tophantasia... if it´s not, than thanks for the correction.

I'll only focus on this part since you seem to have ignored the part about opinions differing... again.

Ok, international camp. What is so international about badly executed american clichés? I wasn´t pleased to see such a ridiculous portrayal of mayans in the game, and the rest of the game follows the same structure.
I said intentional. In your fervor to not take anyone elses opinions to mind you must have misread. The story of the game reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They took themselves seriously to a point, never going to far which is a refreshing departure from the FF games that tend to take their convoluted, and terribly written plots like they are gifts from God. When most seem like a young child wrote them.

You have your opinions. I have mine. I thought the game was great, you didn't. That's it. You overstress points that bothered you when I thought they made the game entertaining. I loved the battle system. Easy to grasp but they threw enough baddies at you that it made a difference.

thundermonkey said:
I'll only focus on this part since you seem to have ignored the part about opinions differing... again.

Ok, international camp. What is so international about badly executed american clichés? I wasn´t pleased to see such a ridiculous portrayal of mayans in the game, and the rest of the game follows the same structure.
I said intentional. In your fervor to not take anyone elses opinions to mind you must have misread. The story of the game reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They took themselves seriously to a point, never going to far which is a refreshing departure from the FF games that tend to take their convoluted, and terribly written plots like they are gifts from God. When most seem like a young child wrote them.

You have your opinions. I have mine. I thought the game was great, you didn't. That's it. You overstress points that bothered you when I thought they made the game entertaining. I loved the battle system. Easy to grasp but they threw enough baddies at you that it made a difference.

Wow, another Neo, there must be hundreds in this forum. Not only do you bring up FF (and it seems like you´ve never even played them), a series that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

How about responding to my points, Neo? I don´t even know why you like the game, all you do is throw dumb and vague points. I mean, do you really like RPGs with slow, easy and boring battle systems, that feature encounter rates through the roof? Are (VERY) predictable storylines and incredibly shallow characters that show no change and no growth (which is a must in every RPG, no matter how dark or lighthearted) what you look for? I gather that that is indeed what you crave.

And well, I never questioned that some people like the game. I mean, there´s gotta be someone out there that liked at least one of the Army Men games. That doesn´t mean they´re good games, and SoA is definitely in the same camp as those.

And well, I never questioned that some people like the game. I mean, there´s gotta be someone out there that liked at least one of the Army Men games. That doesn´t mean they´re good games, and SoA is definitely in the same camp as those

:rolleyes:

Do you ever shut up?

Almasy for the good of us all do not tell us what to like or not like . If we were to listen to u we'd all be glued to the tv watching titanic and listening to celiene deon songs .

What u don't like this stuff ? Well sorry I'm just going to generalize you and tell you what u do like . Then i'm going to tell you what you must like other wise you are crazy . Go watch lord of the rings and listen to metallica.

Don't like what I'm saying . Well mabye you should read your posts . Since this is all your doing in a round about way. At least i'm more upfront

Cyborg said:
And well, I never questioned that some people like the game. I mean, there´s gotta be someone out there that liked at least one of the Army Men games. That doesn´t mean they´re good games, and SoA is definitely in the same camp as those

:rolleyes:

Do you ever shut up?

What? You can´t take objective criticisms? I´m not one of those "Sega is the HOLY GRAIL!!!" dudes, I neither like nor dislike the company. Even the DC where I played it was borrowed, so I had no preconceived sentiments about the game.

I played the game extensively, and always gave it a chance. It always seemed like it would take off in the next couple of hours. Regrettably, like BoF IV, it never did. The battle system remained terrible, I hoped later magic and skills would improve it...and they didn´t. The world never showed another side or had another shade to it. Characters never showed a bit of another side that would make them interesting, and most importantly the storyline never had that exciting twist to save it from the boring, predictable story it is.

It never became a good game, and so far no one has been able to even post something logical as to why it´s even good. If you want me to be soft with the game, I´d hesitate, but it´s at the most very average and unimportant.

There´s one thing that has me intrigued. Why was FF so bashed, if it was never even mentioned in the first place? I suspect it´s not so much that SoA is a good, but rather a case hating mainstream and finding anything to resort to but those "depressing" FF games.

jvd said:
Almasy for the good of us all do not tell us what to like or not like . If we were to listen to u we'd all be glued to the tv watching titanic and listening to celiene deon songs .

What u don't like this stuff ? Well sorry I'm just going to generalize you and tell you what u do like . Then i'm going to tell you what you must like other wise you are crazy . Go watch lord of the rings and listen to metallica.

Don't like what I'm saying . Well mabye you should read your posts . Since this is all your doing in a round about way. At least i'm more upfront

I´m not telling anyone what to like. I´m just asking people for explanations of why they think SoA is a good product. It´s not, and I´ve stated objective reasons as to why every aspect of it is either badly executed or average. No one has been able to tell me particular aspects of the game that they found applaudable, and when they do, most of the times they´re not even plusses (gameplay), or outright lies (the game has seriousness in it).

There´s a reason there are things called "guilty pleasures", and that´s ok, but other posters should cut the act of trying to applaud qualities that are not even there in the first place.

Almasy said:
jvd said:

I´m not telling anyone what to like. I´m just asking people for explanations of why they think SoA is a good product. It´s not, and I´ve stated objective reasons as to why every aspect of it is either badly executed or average. No one has been able to tell me particular aspects of the game that they found applaudable, and when they do, most of the times they´re not even plusses (gameplay), or outright lies (the game has seriousness in it).

There´s a reason there are things called "guilty pleasures". But other posters should cut the act of trying to applaud qualities that are not even there in the first place.

I my self enjoy a good spoof Like not another teen movie.

SoA falls into this. It spoofs jap rpgs , Its kept simple so that it moves quickly . The chars are fun . They are fun because they are kept simple . There is no heavy tone in this game . It is not a final fantsy or xenosaga . There is no huge plot that takes away from the fun of it all. There isn't a huge rush to spend hours powering up with out advancing the story so that u can actually win the game and it doesn't involve a overly complex battle system then when u get right down to it is still around from the beginings of the series. Its just a breezy game to have fun with .

So while it might not be as deep as a movie like lord of the rings . Its light and fun and i guess cheeky like a star wars movie (the first 3 not the new crap )

For the life of me i can't believe how you can not enjoy this game . Only one reason springs to mind . But i don't like to call names

jvd said:
If you read the responses to your posts you will see many reasons why people injoyed it .

Really? All I´ve read so far is:

Poster A Pro SoA: Gameplay is great

Me: But it suffers from all of these problems. Here are the problems, and these aspects are not positive. Why is it great?

Poster A Pro SoA: .....shut up.

Poster B Pro SoA: FF sucks and takes itself too seriously, therefore, the story is good.

Me: But a story and characters should have these characteristics, and SoA has these problems and never has any sort of depth in any aspect of it, which makes it dull.

-----------------------

Me: It´s filled with badly executed, I think it´s logical to call it a guilty pleasure, since it´s obvious many like it.

Poster C Pro SoA: .....you suck and shut up.

Almasy said:
jvd said:
If you read the responses to your posts you will see many reasons why people injoyed it .

Really? All I´ve read so far is:

Poster A Pro SoA: Gameplay is great

Me: But it suffers from all of these problems. Here are the problems, and these aspects are not positive. Why is it great?

Poster B Pro SoA: FF sucks and takes itself too seriously, therefore, the story is good.

Me: But a story and characters should have these characteristics, and SoA has these problems and never has any sort of depth in any aspect of it, which makes it dull.

-----------------------

Me: It´s filled with badly executed, I think it´s logical to call it a guilty pleasure, since it´s obvious many like it.

Poster C Pro SoA: .....you suck and shut up.

So then i guess your reading comprehension is that of a 4 year old. Since man of them gave reasons . either that or you just don't want to hear anyhting that uses lodgic to go against what you are saying since your not using lodgic

jvd said:
I my self enjoy a good spoof Like not another teen movie.

SoA falls into this. It spoofs jap rpgs , Its kept simple so that it moves quickly . The chars are fun . They are fun because they are kept simple . There is no heavy tone in this game . It is not a final fantsy or xenosaga . There is no huge plot that takes away from the fun of it all. There isn't a huge rush to spend hours powering up with out advancing the story so that u can actually win the game and it doesn't involve a overly complex battle system then when u get right down to it is still around from the beginings of the series. Its just a breezy game to have fun with .

So while it might not be as deep as a movie like lord of the rings . Its light and fun and i guess cheeky like a star wars movie (the first 3 not the new crap )

For the life of me i can't believe how you can not enjoy this game . Only one reason springs to mind . But i don't like to call names

So, can I say that it´s some sort of guilty pleasure to you? I have my share of those too, but SoA is not one of them. I like RPGs (either happy or "more serious", it doesn´t matter) to have real quality, because if not, they degenerate into dumbness and boring exercizes to me.

I can´t have fun with a game as superficial and broken in its gameplay and story as SoA. But what mistified me is so many qualities applauded about a game that lacks them. From where do they get them (especially the gameplay bit)?

jvd said:
So then i guess your reading comprehension is that of a 4 year old. Since man of them gave reasons . either that or you just don't want to hear anyhting that uses lodgic to go against what you are saying since your not using lodgic

Show me the well estructured claims and fully suported reasons that were posted. Especially the ones that used logic, since there´s hardly any logic invloved in their claims.

Here´s what I´ve found:

--------------
But I swear when I went inside the vortex i felt like a little kid again.
-------------

Fall under "Gulity pleasure".

------------
I'm glad Overworks had the courage to completely ignore this trend and go back to the good old 16bit-roots with a simple but engaging Star Wars-style "courageous heroes save the world"-story
------------

Untrue. 16 bit RPGs (the good ones obviously) had good battle systems, heir concept world in fact had many shades and a general theme, and characters with much more depth than SoA´s.

------------
I could say the same crap about any FF since 7 and have just as much validity as you did with that crap about SoA.
------------

Untrue, I use logic. He didn´t.

------------
For its time SoA was a beautiful game, filled with intentional camp, and a nicely realized world. Overworks wanted it to seem like an old school RPG, they achieved it with great success. Likeable characters, very fun gameplay, (better then any FF to date) regardless of the excessive random battles.
-------------

All of the statements are false, and I´ve explained why (especially the gameplay bit, which cracked me up).

----------------
The cliches were of course deliberate, quite blatantly so, which made them all the more endearing. There were some unique charactrs aswell. The pure scope of the storyline and how unrestrained it was did for me also; escaping from the valuan fortress sure was exciting.
----------------

Some reasons were unexplained, others were lies. I´ve already explained why.

Blah blah blah.

Damnit man.

There is no need to get anymore technical then I loved the game. Explain all of the flaws you found in the game, and I'll still say I loved the damn game.

I loved SoA because I had fun playing it, and judging by the posts here most did too. I enjoyed it more then any FF game I've played.

You can keep telling us how many flaws you found in the game, because frankly I don't care.

Truthfully though, statements like this "It never became a good game, and so far no one has been able to even post something logical as to why it´s even good. If you want me to be soft with the game, I´d hesitate, but it´s at the most very average and unimportant. " make you look like a complete jackass.

You don't define what a good game is, that definition lays in each persons personal experiences with said game. I found nothing wrong with those things you posted as detriments. You don't have to like the game, you can think it is a complete piece of crap, but at some point you have to concede when its 10-1 on the good/bad camp that you should just shut up.

There are some out there that thought Halo was a large chunk of ass filet.

Almasy to start read what tag wrote to u .

As for a guilty pleasure mabye. But normaly a guilty pleasure is a game that sucks badly yet i still play it to make fun of it . Almost like watching gigli in the movies. I bought ff7-10 and laughed my butt off playing with my friends. Making fun of how much stayed the same from ff1 . Laughing about how they needed to go through hours of fmv to tell a story . For me i'd rather just get the dvd with all the fmv.

The truth is, FFs (since 6) are not great, and neither is Skies Of Arcadia.

To each one his/her taste, why discussing taste ? You'll never agree.

the REAL truth is, some people think both are, its just called difference in taste, and it is allowed. There is no reason to tell someone its wrong to believe a game is great, hell, I had fun with Superman 64.... but only because the ring flying reminded me of the dropship level in the Aliens game for C64.

Ty said:
Teasy said:
None of these console RPG's interest me, least of all Final Fantasy.

Now Fallout 1/2, I don't even have words to fully describe the beauty of those games.. best games ever created IMO!

Have to agree. Fallout 1/2 were great games. Other good RPGs that I played were Wiz6 (Bane), Wiz7 (Crusaders), Wiz 8, Betrayal at Krondor, and some other old ones that I can't remember the name of but it came early on in the rush of the isometric view.

Anyhow, you might be interested to know that there is a MMO post-apocolyptic game being developed right now.

Now we're talking RPGs! ;)
Don't forget Planescape: Torment, Ultima 4-7 and quite recently Gothic 1/2.
Oh and I'd also like to mention the "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Dark Eye) trilogy, they are the previous games of Guido Henkel (Planescape: Torment Project Lead) I've forgotten the english titles of the PC (and the first 2 on Amiga IIRC), but it's a great computer version (with lots of detail!) of a german P&P-RPG, which means it's totally unknown outside Germany, Austria and Switzerland. ;)

Back