System Builders

It is me or is this like a super-multi-threaded thread?
I'd like to take this opportunity to tell eveyone how much I love heroes of might and magic?

New system arrived yesterday, installing Win7 tonight. It's patching right now and booting in seconds. Unbelievably fast and responsive, feels like a completely different OS on this SSD.

CyberPowerPC did a good job on the wiring, only real complaint is the noise reduction foam I added to the order got missed on the build line and they now want me to provide them pictures proving it's missing. So I'm supposed to remove both side panels, pop the front of the case off, get decent pics of the top and bottom of a black case (I'm NOT removing the drive cages). Yeah, not going to happen.

Zed -
If you leave the thing alone, doesn't the disk activity ever let up? Or it just keeps going, say a day, two days...? (Maybe you can't be without your system that long. :))
Sorry didnt see your post before, At the start I have left it going 8 hours while I was at work thinking perhaps it just needs to do this once & she'll be right afterwards. Still going flatout when I came back.

That's so goddamn weird... Then again, windows really is mofoing weird; my own box has somehow transformed itself into booting and logging in super slow, it's as if my SSD is accessed at HDD performance level.

I don't think it's the disk itself, it seems fast once windows is up and running, but getting there is really anoying. Not even sure what triggered this behavior, it has sort of snuck up on me. I've tried some basic stuff to try and correct the issue, including running OS repair from the install disc, but the installer claims nothing is wrong, so...meh. Guess I'll just have to nuke everything and start over as usual whenever windows fucks itself up. Sad though that this install didn't even last a year, I ran win7 on my old box for 3+ years no major issues.

Did you install chipset drivers ?
ps: could it be your boot sector (or mbr whatever its called) is on a disk other than the ssd ?

That's so goddamn weird... Then again, windows really is mofoing weird; my own box has somehow transformed itself into booting and logging in super slow, it's as if my SSD is accessed at HDD performance level.

I don't think it's the disk itself, it seems fast once windows is up and running, but getting there is really anoying. Not even sure what triggered this behavior, it has sort of snuck up on me. I've tried some basic stuff to try and correct the issue, including running OS repair from the install disc, but the installer claims nothing is wrong, so...meh. Guess I'll just have to nuke everything and start over as usual whenever windows fucks itself up. Sad though that this install didn't even last a year, I ran win7 on my old box for 3+ years no major issues.

Your PC isn't a member of a domain is it? Probly a dumb question but* usually when I see very very slow boots on a machine that is otherwise fine it's because the trust relationship with the domain is messed up, but not messed up enough to fail authentication completely. Just had that happen to a client's machine yesterday actually.

There is a Powershell command you can run to fix it, but leaving and rejoining the domain also works.

*I know at least one member her at B3D runs a fucking Small Business Server in his house.

Did you install chipset drivers ?
Yea.

ps: could it be your boot sector (or mbr whatever its called) is on a disk other than the ssd ?
Nay. :) Only boot disk is the SSD. Anyway, where the boot sector/MBR is located should not affect the OS boot speed of my SSD I think. It's some screwyness somewhere, perhaps making scanning the registry super slow or something, I dunno. Windows update installs take a fuckload of a long time to complete also sometimes.

Your PC isn't a member of a domain is it?
Not to my knowledge...unless it has decided to invent and join a domain all on its own (I'll believe just about anything about the POS that is win8.)

I have seen this type of issue in the past, and what it looked like then is the PC just sitting there like a dumb piece of you-know-what, not doing anything. Here it is clearly working, loading stuff (the HDD LED flashes), except just doing it real slow-like, compared to what it should be like anyhow.

My PC has always been kind of twitchy. Some boots in the past have been so rocket-turbo-fast that the OS hasn't detected my USB keyboard properly. Boot-time from UEFI handoff until login screen has literally been just a scant few seconds. Every time it booted that fast, numerical keyboard would be treated as arrow keys even though numlock LED was lit. I would have to tap numlock to get number pad to work as advertised (numlock LED would still shine after tap.) Very weird.

Then every other boot on average or somesuch, bootup would be longer, but not this long. Strange.

*shrug* Time to nuke, I guess. Only reason I haven't done it is I'm so friggin lazy. :)

I have a pc with a normal hdd that suffers similar weirdness. When it runs slow according to HD Tune http://www.hdtune.com/ the transfer rate drops to 10-15mb/s its normally around 100mb/s
If you remember pata drives when windows had trouble reading them it would drop the drive into pio mode it feels like something similar is happening with my sata drive (do they even have a pio mode)

I just bought Kaveri to replace my aging 3 core Athlon. Splash a bit of money for A 128GB SSD. I'm using Windows 8! It boots a lot faster than XP, but not much faster than Win7 on HDD. Opening a program is snappier.
The biggest annoyance right now is that I use a clone setup for displaying content to my TV, the problem is that it can only sync to 1 display (at least on clone, not sure about extended), which means that 1 display in perfect sync, another one tears. I don't remember this behavior on my old PC (which use AMD IGP). Is this AMD GPU problem or Windows 8 problem? And it got this weird disconnect - reconnect thing when one display is on and another one just being turned on. Basically when one of the display is turned on, the display that previously on would go blank for a second or two. Again, in clone. I might need to check if this behavior exist in extended mode.
Btw, I also run the CPU (7850) in 45watt mode. I have run a few test (in full power) and it turns out that on the default behavior, you can't reach max CPU speed (not turbo, just the standard max speed) if you load the GPU heavily.
I also have this weird problem where I plug my external USB3 HDD and it being recognized as USB 2. I have other USB3 HDD that is recognized correctly.
Ah, the joy of new rig :)

Try changing the windows password.

Or try running this Powershell command:

PS C:\> Reset-ComputerMachinePassword

This was in reference to Grall's post.

Last edited by a moderator:
System has been up for the past week. Very quiet, though it lacks the sound dampening foam I ordered with it (and CyberPower has been fighting me on crediting the $29 back), and very fast with the SSD and 16GB of memory.

Why don't you just stick your cell phone camera in there and snap the requisite pics, attach em in an email and tell the people at customer support or whatever department has been hassling you in what body orifice they can put those images? ;)

Should take like, 3 minutes tops, yes?

We were on about SSD endurance a while back, so I thought this might be relevant.

I have a 180GB Intel 330 drive and decided to check its SMART status. I had an older version of the Intel SSD toolbox and it said I'd written 37TB to the drive and it was still at full health with no reallocated sectors. This seemed a but much to me so I downloaded the latest toolbox and now it reads 3.2TB written. That's in 2 years of running the thing with ~25% space free. This thing will never die!

Well, the Corsair H60 cooler lasted less than a week in my new system before it began to die this weekend (been on vacation for weeks, so the new system hasn't been used much). Was playing some Diablo 3 and the case began vibrating with a high-pitched noise from its rear. Opened the side panel, definitely not the fan on the PSU.

Not terribly impressed by these small watercoolers, they have more points of failure than a regular fan/heatsink and don't perform significantly better than a good heatpipe cooler...

Their advantage is that you mount them so that they exhaust heat straight out of the case, but if you got a haswell it doesn't burn off that much power, and you get zero cooling on the VRMs, so... My mobo has major heatsink on the VRMs, but unless a fan blows on it it gets really REALLY friggin hot under load.

For that matter "top-down" (i.e. classic) coolers are said to better cool the VRMs, but there aren't that many of them, the huge and cheap ones are all mounted on pipes and "side ways".
That probably matters in very small and/or cramped systems though.

I called CyberPower's help desk expecting an RMA on the cooler but the guy suggested lying the system on its side in case an air bubble had gotten in and was causing the noise. Sure enough, since doing that it's been fine.

I called CyberPower's help desk expecting an RMA on the cooler but the guy suggested lying the system on its side in case an air bubble had gotten in and was causing the noise. Sure enough, since doing that it's been fine.

I'm on my Hydro H80 third year running and no major issues! Yes occasionally it is a bit noisy with possibly air bubble trapped inside the rad, but in general I'm pleased. It beat my TT120Ultra quite comfortable but air coolers are not too far off these AiO coolers. There is a difference if you have 150W+ CPU like Phenom FX after mild OC but for Haswell it doesn't make much difference.

Did you ever get a refund or resolution on your sound foam stuff whatever it was?

Back