My 4070 Ti + i5 13600K[F] gained over 50 FPS in game after upgrading & manually tuning the RAM

2nd to last one looks like tRAS to me, although it's normally expressed as the 4th timing. (96 and 76 are common XMP values for that timing, though!)
last one looks like tRc to me as 96 and 112 are pretty common there.

DDR5 seems to be a lot more sensitive to secondary timings than primary timings compared to DDR4, in particular CAS latency seems to matter much less than it used to.
It's really easy to get a DDR5 profile that has worse primary timings but better secondary timings and have it perform significantly better overall.

<--- as one example
It's disappointing that none of the big sites/reviewers have caught onto this. This guy is clearly demonstrating that primary timings are of little importance. The timings that do matter are often barely mentioned reviews and product descriptions.

It's disappointing that none of the big sites/reviewers have caught onto this. This guy is clearly demonstrating that primary timings are of little importance. The timings that do matter are often barely mentioned reviews and product descriptions.

buildzoid is a bit of a legend. He's worth following. You won't necessarily get easy to follow guides though. But if you want to learn stuff, he's a great resource.

zen 3 aka 3800x

The 3800x is Zen 2. Zen 3 is 5xxx.

But Zen 2 guidelines for memory and DDR4 speeds is largely in line with Zen 3. 1:1 IF with DDR4 3600 or 3200 (compatibility/cost reasons) are the typical configs you'd go for.

The big sites don't really cover OCing directly anymore these days which memory tuning to this degree would involve.

As for the product side things some things to consider are that memory kits don't even guarantee what chips are being used in any specific kit. Also because achievable speeds are highly dependent on the CPU/Motherboard (not all motherboards have the same number of PCB layers or trace layout) and individual unit variance of each they need to build in margins.

The above is also a concern I have often with how sometimes it's made out that tuning things to this degree is very simply/easy. Consumer hardware also doesn't have end to end ECC, so another concern I'd wonder is how stable some of these configurations truly are.

Right now DDR5 is in the rather early days and so binning is also not as tight, this can have the side benefit of much larger headroom per unit variance. But this might change as time goes on. You saw this with DDR4 just an example, early Samsung B-Dies weren't considered "premium" at all and would end up in rather basic kits that in turn would be tuned very high. But later on binning became much tighter and even if you scored a B-die kit they might not OC much at all.

I have my 12400f at 5.4Ghz now with a Bclk clock of 135Mhz and working on my DDR4 now.

Although I feel DDR4 may not have the bandwidth to fully unlock my CPU's now but DDR5 was out of my budget.

I have my 12400f at 5.4Ghz now with a Bclk clock of 135Mhz and working on my DDR4 now.

Although I feel DDR4 may not have the bandwidth to fully unlock my CPU's now but DDR5 was out of my budget.
I think a well tuned DDR4 kit is fine for gaming. Games generally seem to be more sensitive to memory latency than bandwidth. High end DDR4 kits can hit 4000MHz in "gear 1". These can actually outperform higher end DDR5 kits in some games.

I think most games don't scale with bandwidth, so if you're primarily gaming it's not an issue. Latency will usually have a larger impact, and it's easier to get low latency for much cheaper on DDR4.

Back