Stun guns

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I don't know why, I just felt like I should have one since they exist and I don't want to have a gun in the house. I like the idea of a stungun because I wouldn't hesitate a second in using one, unlike how I might react when it's a possibly lethal deterrent. :?

I just started hunting 'em, and thought I'd ask if anyone knew anything I should be looking for? So far I think this phony cellphone one has got me most intrigued, I like the discreet aspects of it. :)

I think the odds of you ever needing to use that are approximately zero. I think the odds of you getting the chance to use it should you actually need it are even less.

If you're worried about protection, buy dogs and maybe a gun. Something you have to poke someone with is not going to be an effective deterrent.

Ah.

No, it isn't that exactly. Just this weekend clearing off the sidewalks & driveway I pushed myself too hard and had a bit of a scare for a second and remembered suddenly QUITE VIVIDLY that I can't rely on pushing myself anymore nor should I be doing it if I want to be there for my family. (Which I do.)

Which made me think about security, which made me think I'd best get a better defense than the "I'll deal with the fuckers!" attitude that has gotten me this far in life.

I suddenly realized I'm old and mortal, but I still wanna be able to protect my family. :)

Well if you have a problem with your heart that you have to be careful not to overexert yourself. Then I suggest you don’t get a Stun Gun if you accidentally zap yourself or the intruder takes the gun away and zaps you, it can kill you.

As for guns I don’t like them. Just recently I was robbed and they stole my gun. My brother discovered the house was broken into when he stop by my house to pick up some paperwork. My thoughts were if he had gotten there earlier and discovered them they could have used my own gun to shoot my brother. I have decided not to buy another gun; I put an alarm on the house and hope for the best.

Hmm. I wonder if it would work as an emergency defibrillator too? Or are they letting people have those on their own now?

There are different types of stun guns. Some operate on the "induce a high voltage/low amperage shock and throw the nervous system into shock" method you're thinking of that have the limitation of passing the shock into anyone in contact with them....but there is also another kind:
The stun gun is designed to key into the nervous system. It dumps its energy into the muscles at a high pulse frequency that makes the muscles work very rapidly, but not efficiently. This rapid work cycle depletes blood sugar by converting it to lactic acid all in just seconds. The resulting energy loss makes it difficult to move and function. At the same time, the tiny neurological impulses that travel throughout the body to direct muscle movement are interrupted. This causes disorientation and loss of balance and leaves the attacker in a passive and confused condition for several minutes. Still, there is no significant effect on the heart and other organs.
And it also doesn't transmit the shock if someone is touching them or if they're holding you....sounds much more my speed.

Those batons and "knife-operated" devices (ie, you jab it into someone) are pretty much worthless unless someone's trying to rape you or such. Your arms aren't long enough. You need a taser which shoots out electrodes to effectively put down an intruder. Of course, you also need to be able to aim worth a damn too or else it'll be for nothing! :p

Handguns are an effective way of making your own family members kill each other or themselves, statistically speaking. In comparison, they aren't nearly as good at putting down intruders. But hey, don't let that stop you - you live in america after all. Guns are cool, everybody knows that. Especially really biiiiig guns.

Guden Oden said:
Handguns are an effective way of making your own family members kill each other or themselves, statistically speaking. In comparison, they aren't nearly as good at putting down intruders. But hey, don't let that stop you - you live in america after all. Guns are cool, everybody knows that. Especially really biiiiig guns.
Yeah, that's why I don't want to get a gun. Knowing my kids... :?

digitalwanderer said:
Guden Oden said:
Handguns are an effective way of making your own family members kill each other or themselves, statistically speaking.

So does letting your kid borrow the car. And I don't hear anyone crying very loudly about that.

In comparison, they aren't nearly as good at putting down intruders. But hey, don't let that stop you - you live in america after all. Guns are cool, everybody knows that. Especially really biiiiig guns.
Yeah, that's why I don't want to get a gun. Knowing my kids... :?

So I'm assuming you don't have any cars, sharp knives, razor blades, chlorine & ammonia, lye, or any other nasty things sitting around?

All of those have just as much potential to kill as a gun. And you probably either have them stored away somewhere safe, or if you kids are old enough you educated them on these things and their dangers. So how would a gun be any different?

Yeah, I remember them from BOFH. (My other nick is "LTOFH" ;) )

I like the stungun idea, but now I'm leaning more towards a slimline pocket one that is easily concealed....it's only useful if I have it with me and I can't see walking around with a high-tech billyclub on my hip. :?

Killer-Kris said:
So does letting your kid borrow the car. And I don't hear anyone crying very loudly about that.
Cars however do not have the sole purpose of making holes in people at a distance. Not quite the same thing.

All of those have just as much potential to kill as a gun.
Not really, no.

So how would a gun be any different?
Well, you know... A gun goes *BANG*, and then there's a hole in something. You figure out the rest, shouldn't be too difficult if you're moderately smart, though you seem to have your head firmly lodged in the ass of the gun-nut lobby, so thinking might be a bit of a problem in your particular case...

Guden Oden said:
Killer-Kris said:
All of those have just as much potential to kill as a gun.
Not really, no.
I'm with Guden big time on this one.

No, there is nothing in my house right now as instantly and easily lethal as a gun.

I'm not bashing people who do keep guns, I'm just saying I choose not to as I see it as just an invitation for disaster....but I'll get a stun gun. :)

How about a good old fashioned handy dandy baseball bat? They're quite effective, especially the metal varients. Assuming you have strength of course.

Back