Stop the AMR crap

RingWraith

Newcomer
I know for a fact that AMR = Audio Modem Riser card and ATi's Dual-Card setup is called AFR = Alternate Frame Rendering.

PLEASE PEOPLE!!

Stop confusing the two, it is really annoying. I will shut up now. :devilish:

RingWraith said:
I know for a fact that AMR = Audio Modem Riser card and ATi's Dual-Card setup is called AFR = Alternate Frame Rendering.

PLEASE PEOPLE!!

Stop confusing the two, it is really annoying. I will shut up now. :devilish:

Wrong. AMR = ATI Multi-Rendering according to early press. AFR is one of Nvidia's SLI modes.

AMR is an acronym used by manufacturers for Audio Modem Riser cards. I actually had a motherboard that had one and used an AMR modem for a few months. The card was cheap, since a lot of the modem's functionality had been offloaded onto the motherboard and cpu.

My AMR card failed rather quickly, so I shifted to a PCI modem.

ATI may as well use AMR, though, since it's not like different groups of people haven't appropriated the same letters before.

I have a relative who went trained in the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), for example.

I used to work for one of the big telecoms multinationals, and they had a massive book just full of company acronyms. You could open a page and find the same three or four letters used across the various company divisions with half a dozen different meanings.

As its been pointed out. AFR was used on ATI cards before Nvidia cards. Anyway..

ChrisRay said:
As its been pointed out. AFR was used on ATI cards before Nvidia cards. Anyway..

and in several generations of sgi machines going back to at least 1991

3dilettante said:
I have a relative who went trained in the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), for example.

Anyone remember, how CIA is related to home computing? :)
it's group of registers and timers of certain _very_ popular home computer. :)

Didn't IBM at one time use the acronym "AMD" to mean "air movement device", aka a "fan"?

Multi Video Processing?

Ain't it funny how everyone claims to give little heed to the inquirer, yet over & over everyone winds up quoting and/or debating points they raise :LOL:

Nappe1 said:
Anyone remember, how CIA is related to home computing? :)
it's group of registers and timers of certain _very_ popular home computer. :)
Even the CIA was odd. Or is that were?

Three lovely ladies and Gary. Although, Agnes's been gaining weight lately.

(Unzipped the reference manuals today. Small world...)

EDIT: Damn! Read R520 as A520 at other thread... Nasty.

db said:
ChrisRay said:

and in several generations of sgi machines going back to at least 1991

Yet ATI was claiming a patent pending on the features page. Couldn't find one tho when I did a quick check. Wonder what that was about.

Back