Steam

Maybe some combination of the Steam controller service and whatever controller profile it's using has the analog stick deadzone too tight (causing phantom movement)? Not sure what the trigger is for the keyboard to display. All that stuff is finely configurable in the Steam settings so you should be able to troubleshoot it.
happened to me again today. The mouse cursor constantly flies to the right at a constant speed and trying to counter that movement displacing the cursor to the left is tough, makes the mouse impossible to use on the desktop, while the character in a game, i.e. Vampire Survivors, always go up. Dunno what triggers it but I found out that it's not a Steam thing 'cos Steam wasn't running.

It's just that for whatever reason, if that bug or whatever happens and Steam is running, it tends to "magically" open Steam's on-screen keyboard. I am guessing it's something with the Logitech keyboard I am using, maybe a driver thing, which is a kb with a mousepad too, but I am not sure. I fixed it buy using Restart on Windows but cancelling it when it asked me if I wanted to restart. Logging out also fixes it but it's a pita 'cos if you are playing a game you have to relaunch it.

Last edited:
isnt there an option in the logitech software to disable the mousepad (by mousepad I assume you mean trackpad and not a mousemat)

The default Steam controller desktop mode uses left-stick-click to bring up the Steam onscreen keyboard, and the right stick controls the mouse cursor. If you're not needing controller->mouse translation outside of games then you can disable that desktop feature entirely. If the games you're playing have native Xinput and you're using a modern XB1/XSX controller then you shouldn't need any controller shim running in the background, Steam or otherwise. If you're using some third-party controller then I'm sure every manufacturer has their own form of controller->Xinput->mouse emulation that's installed with their drivers. You could even have multiples of such things all capturing and resending input.

Activating Windows system commands like restart or task manager would interrupt whatever controller application/driver you have that is doing the controller->mouse translation, so that makes sense. IIRC that's related to some kind of user mode elevation that takes place for those things.

Another way of getting ghost input is when there's a loss of focus in the middle of an input (the +input is received, but not the -input), so maybe alt+tabbing or exiting a game in the middle of an input is resulting in the analog stick getting stuck, after which the controller/mouse emulation starts converting that to cursor movement.

Take the controller out of the equation by trying another controller (or trying the controller on another system.) Take the software out of the equation by doing a cleaner startup of Windows without all the launchers, overlays, input driver/software running on startup, (or create a temp user account to test with.) All of this might be a sign that you should get rid of the controller and use mouse/keyboard as god intended. :p

This is a primary reason why console gamers will not want to migrate to PC:

During an Alex Legends competition, two high-profile players were hacked and cheats injected into their game. The above reddit comes from a supposed security expert explaining how, and their chief suspicion is an RCE. Notably, they call out several games with RCE faults.

Gaming on a console separates your everyday life from your hobby; a hobby which can introduce an extra bunch of weaknesses into the platform security. It's largely better and safer to have a standalone box to game on, and another for work. That's where a discrete Steam Box would be ideal, but the last effort there failed horribly.

Is there any opportunity for a new attempt at the Steam Box? What are the limiting factors preventing such a console-like device? Does Steam Deck pave the way for a new Steam console?

I'd think anyone not wanting to migrate to PC is because their console delivers better value and they don't care all that much about the added versatility or software variety that a PC offers. If the desire is to isolate their work from their hobby and they're willing to buy another piece of hardware to do it then there's nothing stopping them from buying a second PC dedicated for gaming, or dual booting with some SteamOS environment just for games. If these options are too expensive or too complicated for them then they're better off sticking with consoles anyways.

I've only skimmed through this Apex thread so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing any confirmation of what the actual vector was, or if there was a vector at all. A guy was streaming, a cheat got activated, presumably a "zomg I don't know what this is!" happens, and what follows is a lot of speculation about how a third-party could remotely install/activate a cheat UI? Or is there something concrete here? Every instance I've seen of someone getting caught cheating in online esports is followed by confusion, denial, and blaming it on being hacked. It's happened with every permutation of asset replacement (spiked models), drivers, banned cfgs and console scripting, etc.

I'd think anyone not wanting to migrate to PC is because their console delivers better value and they don't care all that much about the added versatility or software variety that a PC offers. If the desire is to isolate their work from their hobby and they're willing to buy another piece of hardware to do it then there's nothing stopping them from buying a second PC dedicated for gaming
Except cost. One argument in favour of migrating to PC is the cost of the console gets you a GPU for the machine you already own. Needing a whole other gaming PC nullifies that.
or dual booting with some SteamOS environment just for games.
Way too complicated for most.
I've only skimmed through this Apex thread so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing any confirmation of what the actual vector was, or if there was a vector at all.
No confirmation yet. Only speculation. However, the security guy pointed out...
Have games had RCEs before?

Apex specifically has not had any publicly known RCEs, but plenty of other games have had RCEs discovered in the past. This includes CSGO, the entire Dark Souls series, Minecraft, and a whole bunch of Call of Duty games.
It's a proven weakness with games opening you up to attacks.
Or is there something concrete here?
They definitely got hacked. They are well known pros who suddenly had cheats injected into their game mid-tournament, live as people watched. They are in a venue.

Ironically, they could have all been on standardised hardware on a LAN so this couldn't happen.

This is a primary reason why console gamers will not want to migrate to PC:

During an Alex Legends competition, two high-profile players were hacked and cheats injected into their game. The above reddit comes from a supposed security expert explaining how, and their chief suspicion is an RCE. Notably, they call out several games with RCE faults.

Gaming on a console separates your everyday life from your hobby; a hobby which can introduce an extra bunch of weaknesses into the platform security. It's largely better and safer to have a standalone box to game on, and another for work. That's where a discrete Steam Box would be ideal, but the last effort there failed horribly.

Is there any opportunity for a new attempt at the Steam Box? What are the limiting factors preventing such a console-like device? Does Steam Deck pave the way for a new Steam console?

found this news on that. Apex Legends is one of the most popular games on Steam.

https://siege.gg/news/im-cheating-a...-ruined-by-hackers-exposing-a-massive-exploit

A lot of accusations have been flying around. One suspect is Easy Anti-Cheat. I guess because it's already messed with other things? Or just a possibility that people will blame without evidence.

A lot of accusations have been flying around. One suspect is Easy Anti-Cheat. I guess because it's already messed with other things? Or just a possibility that people will blame without evidence.
perhaps the guy's computer just got hacked if it is his personal computer, whatever the reason. And the hacker noticed he is an Apex Legends pro and wanted to install some kind of cheat engine. That cheat engine exists for games like CoD -at least the two previous CoD titles-, and kinda made its way into consoles with some kind of better aim engine, can't remember the exact details

So basically Steam is following Netflix in restricting content libraries to 'households'.

Last edited:
There is a lot more accepted compromise for the Steam Deck hardware wise due to it being a handheld. This in turn enables the lower price.

Valve launches new Steam Families household game sharing tools​

Windows store license sharing is still much better then.

Me: 1 account with lots of games license purchases and gamepass ultimate, shared to 4-5 PC and 2 Xboxes.

All can play at the same time, any games, including the same games.

Each with their own accounts.

Windows store license sharing is still much better then.

Me: 1 account with lots of games license purchases and gamepass ultimate, shared to 4-5 PC and 2 Xboxes.

All can play at the same time, any games, including the same games.

Each with their own accounts.
That's very sacrificial of MS, inevitably because the store isn't used and this feature isn't used. It's like Sony's very generous game sharing on PS3. Once people start abusing it en masse (which they will if the Store ever become popular), the terms will be tightened.

That's very sacrificial of MS, inevitably because the store isn't used and this feature isn't used. It's like Sony's very generous game sharing on PS3. Once people start abusing it en masse (which they will if the Store ever become popular), the terms will be tightened.
yeah. hopefully it'll be gradual. as they already tightened it.

originally, this is how windows store account sharing work
  1. login in windows store with the account that have games
  2. install all of the games you want
  3. the windows store account is no longer needed. you can sign out, or sign in with another account. doesnt matter.
as long as those games are installed, you can play them with any accounts.
---
hopefully as the tightest, they would just simply follow sony and xbox console license sharing scheme. so still allow 1 license to be played by 2 different accountss at the same time

Back