Steam surpasses 30 million concurrent users for the first time ever in its history.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Well, expert says that that number is going to increase during the christmas holidays, where usually those figures tend to increase.

I am a romantic, and usually purchased a game on GoG if the game I wanted was on both Steam and GoG-. Sometimes I purchase games on PC gamepass. But I gotta admit that none of them can beat Steam.

Game distribution service Steam has managed to attain 30 million concurrent users, and there seems to be no slowing down. The service has been growing immensely in recent years and has snatched another big milestone. Just a few short years ago, Steam wasn't even topping 20 million concurrent users.

Valve, the developer of Half-Life and Portal, released the game platform Steam in 2003 to offer gamers a one-stop shop for all gaming needs. Steam offers a game store, game library, patching mechanism, community pages, and much more. In addition to Steam, Valve is now also producing the gaming device Steam Deck, developed the VR platform SteamVR with Valve Index headset, and is still making games. Since Steam's inception, many of the largest game publishers have created their own platforms to compete with Steam, including Epic Games and EA with Origin.

1666648400225.png

It's just going to keep getting bigger. Steam deck was a great move by them and I am sure home versions of it or better will start showing up

Yeah it's not surprising. They pretty much are PC gaming now. They adeptly identified everything needed to make their service the one stop shop for all gaming. And yeah they try exciting innovative things too.

I think the most striking thing to me is the sheer amount of indie development they've fostered. And SteamVR, which is mostly indie development.

Last edited:
Yeah it's not surprising. They pretty much are PC gaming now. They adeptly identified everything needed to make their service the one stop shop for all gaming. And yeah they try exciting innovative things too.

I think the most striking thing to me is the sheer amount of indie development they've fostered. And SteamVR, which is mostly indie development.

The community features they've fostered also help as well as being relatively transparent WRT user game reviews. If the developer engages with the community in Steam, it just makes it so much better than any other major gaming storefront.

And the fact that they continue to invest dev. time into improving Steam as well as adding more consumer friendly features, is a big plus.

The competitors have a blueprint for how to have a storefront that people would like to use (Steam), yet they refuse to make a serious competitor to Steam for whatever reason. GoG at least tries (unlike Microsoft, Epic, EA, etc.), but they are hampered by only allowing DRM free games on their storefront which limits the number of AAA games that get released there.

Regards,
SB

Back