Star Wars the Old Republic E3 teaser...

Considering it's a MMORPG I'm not really interested. Bioware should have been contracted to make Episodes I-III however :LOL:

I saw the "Deceived" trailer earlier and it was an interesting trailer. But TOR hasn't seduced me yet. Maybe by the time they announce the rest of the classes I'll be a little more excited.

I don't understand the interest (much less excitement) in a video that will inevitably neither look nor play anything like the eventual game.

Then you propably are not nerdy enough :)
I on the other hand ;)
Bioware should have made ep1-3... The Kotor games were 10 times better than the movies.

Fantastic cinematic, but really nothing to do with the game itself other than setting part of the status of the galaxy. I agree with Kyyla though, that scene alone was better than anything I saw in EP I-III :)

I don't understand the interest (much less excitement) in a video that will inevitably neither look nor play anything like the eventual game.

Its the video itself I found interesting. I have no interest in the game because its a MMORPG.

Video was cool in itself. Looked to me as it was using lots of prequel trilogy model assets, though, which doesn't quite gel with the whole 'Old Republic' theme.

Its the video itself I found interesting. I have no interest in the game because its a MMORPG.

My sentiments exactly. It's a real shame they didn't make the movies with this much action.

Its one of the top 10 trailers out today - if not the best. Typically Blizzards group tops but whoever did this one, well, schooled them.

Sensing a lot of hate for mmo's. Not everyone's game, that is for sure. However, the formant is making money hand over fist. More so if you are good. Wow, what, 4 years now, 11 million + subscribers - you do the math. That is over 100 million bucks a month and a billion per year. I think that pretty much sums up why these guys wanted to get into this realm. People pay to play - even in today's economy.

If they can make the game even half of the pace set in the video, they will draw subscribers. Then add in the rest of the stuff people are after it "could" do well. Escaping reality is huge. Playing with many people at once is cool. Exploring is fun. Character development, creation, etc.

I'm just not exactly sure how many the market place can support though. Wow does appear to be on the decline if you read the server forums and guilds who are looking for people. Then you have to factor in Warhammer, Age of Conan (revamp), Lord of the Rings (revamp), etc.

One thing is for sure. You can't play more than one mmo at a time - at least not healthy for real life...so something has to draw people in.

That video will light a fire under people who likes that format - that is for sure...

Gambling makes money hand over fist too. There are many similarities between what passes as a "MMOG" today and gambling so I can see why it works on people. I've never been a gambler nor have I been into click fest gameplay all about getting loot and levels..... It is cool that it seems to have a story perhaps, but I'll believe that can be done in a MMORPG when I see it done and on the shelf and covered with super positive reviews by RPG vets.

The trailer is kinda cool but I'm starting to get really burned out on the "awesome Jedi guys versus way evil Sith" story. How many games have we had about that now? Those and the terrible prequels have really erased by inner excitement over that sort of thing. I'm just getting burned out on what defines Star Wars in the eyes of the modern games industry.

If it was a single player sandbox Star Wars game, I'd be overwhelmingly pumped about it. That would be really interesting. The video certainly didn't present lots of intriguing exploration opportunities though. Just yet more action with Jedis and Sith.

Last edited by a moderator:
That video will light a fire under people who likes that format - that is for sure...

I don't see why - the game won't look or play like that trailer, so it's not really indicative of anything other than the kind of emotional state the devs are hoping to generate in the player: "Excitement! Battle! Jedis! Bad jedis! Light sabres! Droids! Jon Williams soundtrack!". In reality it's probably grinding, ganking and long treks from one zone to another as yet another dev tries to stretch everything out for maximum subscription revenue.

That trailer might as well be an advert for a new Star Wars novel.

Still, I'd say that if any franchise has got a chance of going up against the mighty WoW, it would be a Star Wars game.

Back