Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Exactly. The background is from the Retaliator: https://flic.kr/p/C3Pk7Z

The vertical glow on the helmet has a function.

"the human anatomy and cool shapes the concept artists came up with."There is a function to the vertical light on the helmet and is not LED :) We wanted our marines to have an iconic look and thru R&D we came to this design. We'll explain the functions of the helmet in due time"

"There is a function to the vertical light on the helmet and is not LED :) We wanted our marines to have an iconic look and thru R&D we came to this design. We'll explain the functions of the helmet in due time"

"regarding the cool factor thing, the concept team always talk with design and the writers to make sure the "cool" things actually make sense."

"We had to design the suit to make it look modular in function. Kind of like how Ironman can snap his gear on real quick with the option to swap in and out other armor pieces, but more realistic. :) The shapes were pretty much made thru

Source and more comments: https://www.reddit.com/user/Jlee-CIG (CIG-Employee)

How difficult is it to have the character in game instead ?
Unless it means it's no yet production ready...

I'm not a fan of that kind of things, show in-game footage only, there's no reason/excuse not to at this stage.
(That what all the game companies I worked for did.)

Squadron 42: Behind the Scenes - Gillian Anderson

There could be small spoilers.

Starfarer Hangar pictures at the end (35:35)

@Roderic
They show content earlier, since it is a more transparent development.

UEE helmet animation:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/154339150

UEE helmet concepts
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ag9G9

Monthly Studio Report January 2016
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15187-Monthly-Studio-Report

New reliant screenshots
Wing.jpg

Vertical.jpg

New Starfarer screenshots
AI8oWp6.png

mnE8cMP.png

bh3uzzk.png

I can't wait!

WIP in engine canyon video

The Retaliator is a rare spaceship in Persistent Universe. I find is impressive. At the moment she is quite weak without a crew. It is a bomber where the turrets should be used. But first, the ships will be moduary and secondly later automatic towers can also be attached.

I have a Starfarer and cannot wait for the Hangar release. It might appear as a surprise in 2.2.

Currently I am playing Alpha 2.2 as a PTU tester. The progress compared to 2.1 is huge. EVA and FPS are much better. The new lobby system is reliable. The 2.2 live patch will come this week.

Here are some patchnotes
The scale of the system has adjusted, the planet Crusader and moons are at a more appropriate distance from one another.
Comm Arrays have been re-positioned accordingly.
The Comm Arrays have been changed drastically as part of the new Monitored Space and Bounty systems and no longer unlock Research missions.
For the time being, Research Missions are now offered to characters who visit ICC Probe 849.
ICC probe 849 is now on the QT Nav Points list.
There are three new icons on the player visor HUD while in Crusader.
An icon will appear in the top-left of your screen when you are in Monitored space.
This icon looks like a satellite sending off little signals.
To the right of Monitored Space, there is an icon to indicate when you are in an Armistice Zone.
This icon looks like a bullet with a line through it.
To the right of the Armistice Zone icon, an icon will appear if you are a wanted criminal.
This icon looks like a shooting range target, with a border that will become incrementally more orange with each Criminal level.

Game Systems:
Your efforts repairing Comm Arrays in Crusader have not gone unnoticed by Crusader Industries!
Monitored Space System

“Monitored” space are large areas of the Crusader system that are being actively monitored by Crusader Industries. These areas are centered around any active Comm Arrays in Crusader, as well as Cryo-Astro and Port Olisar.
By disabling the Comm Arrays, you can toggle monitored space off for that area. Likewise you can reactivate “Monitoring” by activating the local Comm Arrays.
Comm Arrays will be active or disabled at-random when a instance is first brought up.
Disabling a Comm Array has consequences, because no-one except a Criminal would ever want to go unnoticed by Crusader Industries.
Players who are not currently considered a “Criminal” will receive missions for any Comm Arrays that need to be reactivated.
Player character kills made in unmonitored space will go unnoticed by local authorities.

Bounty System
In an effort to improve security in the Crusader region while their local staffing is low, Crusader Industries has activated their “Bounty” system and encourages all pilots to hunt down any wanted criminals in their space.
Destroying an empty ship, colliding with a landed ship (in Monitored space), or disabling a Comm Array gives the offending character 1 level of Wanted Criminal.
However, these are not cumulative and will not take your character above 1 Criminal level.
Killing a player character or destroying an occupied ship (in Monitored space) gives 1 Cumulative level of Criminal.
Crusader Security AI will spawn and attack any Criminal (of any wanted level), that enters the area around Cry-Astro Station or Port Olisar.
There are 5 Criminal levels available. At Level 5 point, a global bounty mission is posted to all characters on the server instructing them to hunt down and kill the character.
Players who successfully complete the bounty mission for a Level 5 Criminal will find a Klaus & Werner ATT4 Energy rifle waiting for them in their bedroom on Port Olisar. Courtesy of Crusader Industries.
Each Criminal level adds 30 seconds of “jail time” to your respawn. When a Criminal is killed, they will be locked into their spawn-bedroom for the duration of their penalty time.
When a Level 5 Criminal is killed, they are removed from the server.
This functionality is for the purposes of testing of the system, as consequences within current game systems is limited.
There are only two ways to reduce your Criminal level.
Waiting 10 minutes without committing a crime will naturally reduce the level by 1.
There is a console in Security Post Kareah that you can “hack”. Each hack you initiate and complete drops your wanted level by 1.
However, each hack takes 1 minutes to complete, and other criminals can interrupt your hack by initiating their own.

Hostility System
Pirates and Crusader Security now recognize potential friends and foes.
Pirates will spawn to protect disabled Comm Arrays from non-Criminals.
Crusader Security will spawn to protect active Comm Arrays from Criminals.
Both will become much more aggressive toward anyone who takes action toward them.
When a character initiates combat with another character, the aggressor is flagged as “hostile” to the defender.
Defenders do not receive a penalty or a Wanted Criminal level for killing a player that initiated combat in Monitored Space.

Party System Revamp
This encompasses a wide range of quality-of-life improvements, updates and fixes to the party system in Star Citizen.

When a party is formed and a member attempts to join an instance for the first time, the matchmaking system will automatically look for a server with the “Best Fit” for the party size.
Once a party member has entered an instance, the elevator UI (Hangar and Main Menu) will show those instances with a party member inside on top. Followed by instances that have contacts.
Matchmaking system now takes into account the number of players in a party when selecting a server.
The Matchmaking will ‘reserve’ slots on the server for the rest of your party for two minutes, to allow them time to select the instance and zone in.
The party leadership will now automatically migrate to another player, if the leader goes offline.
If a party member goes offline, then comes back online, the Party UI is properly restored in the Contacts list (F11).
Players that go offline will remain in the party for 10 minutes, before being timed out of the party.
The party will disband if all party members are offline for 5+ minutes.
Party Leaders can now kick any offline members.

Social System
“Full” instances with contacts in them will now go to the bottom of the list of instances in the elevator screen.
AR view has a new seamless overlay to prevent it from interfering with normal gameplay.
It will still provide the name of characters.
AR view is now “On” by default in all zones. You can disable it by pressing “F10”, but it will re-enable on zoning.

Physical EVA
Physical EVA has been re-enabled for 2.2.0, after extensive fixing and tweaks on our end.

Ships:
The Aegis Sabre is now flight-ready and owners of this ship can access it in Arena Commander and Crusader.
The Xi’an Khartu-Al is now available and owners of this fine ship can now view it in the Hangar.
We have been making a number of changes to the movement behavior of manned turrets, as we are aware that they don’t behave in a fluid or intuitive manner at the moment.
This is very much still in-progress.
SCM and Cruise speeds have been re-balanced across the board for all ships.
[...]

Components
Ship Component Update.

We have begun a large update to our existing Ship component system. This is largely at a back-end level – implementing a new component class system, naming conventions and other needed functionality, as well as retrofitting all existing ships to be compatible. These changes will allow us to implement a greater range of modular internal ship components. Additionally, this allows components to interact with one another in a more direct and less “handwavium” simulation of a ships internal systems, setting the foundation for greater player interaction and future game play mechanics.

These changes should not affect the performance of ships in any significant way at this point compared to 2.1, unless noted otherwise. However it is important to emphasize that this is very much a work-in-progress.
[...]

First Person:
We have made extensive improvements to first-person animations, specifically for FPS . These include:
Added better transitional animations from “Look” to “Aim” poses.
Added improved animations for when a weapon is in a “lowered” state, both while standing and while in crouch.
Fixed an issue where characters would be unable to aim-down-sight during certain “transitional” animations.
Added FPS “cover” animations, for exiting and entering aim-down-sights from cover while holding a weapon.
Fixed some animation issues, where the reload animations would not play if the character was when reloading from aim-down-sights.
Adjusted the “sway” of characters while running with a stocked rifle (P4-AR).
Fixed an issue where players could “look down” while their character is prone, holding a weapon, with something solid in the way.
This fixes a problem where characters could balance in the air on the front muzzle of their gun.
Polished transitional animations when a character goes from prone movement, back into Idle.
Animations have been added to support weapons being fired while prone, and while moving-in-prone.
Added transitional animations for moving from low cover to high cover with a stocked weapon.
Removed much of the helmet and HUD bob that occurred in first-person camera mode.
Fixed an issue where lying prone in a tight or enclosed area caused characters to bounce back and forth off the collision.
Fixed an issue where the P4-AR was not being held correctly when the character was in zero-G.
Tweaked the look-pose of characters when in first person view, such that users can now see the feet of their character (rather then their chest) when looking down.

Technical:
We have implemented a new Crash Handler to our game client with 2.2. Now when the game client crashes, a pop-window will appear asking you if you would like to report the crash to us. The handler submission will include game logs from the client and DxDiag information on the system. This will allow us to rapidly gather data on game client crashes that are occurring in our PTU and Live environments, while also vastly simplifying the process for players to report crashes to us

[...]

And there are a lot more fixes.

This is a very difficult question.

I'm starting with the 890 Jump. The manufacturer is Origin, which should be something like BMW of the future. Currently there are from Origin the M50 and the 300i in the game (the 300i will be remodeled again with higher standards [like the Constellation]).
Now to 890 Jump again. This will be a large high end luxurious spacecraft. Imagine a very expensive yacht in space. There you can celebrate and cruise with friends [10-20?] or transport VIPs.
This ship belongs to the 890 Jump: http://i.imgur.com/ksKBY2L.jpg [included]

Here is a ship size map. You can see that ist really large.
source.jpg

If you dont know this I would recommend you to read this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14199-Interstellar-Splendor-The-890-JUMP
What I think about it? As an early ship I see too few opportunities to earn money. In my point of view you would need other (more economic focused) vessels before.

The Genesis Starliner (on the right in the size picture) is an airline ship. Such as the 890 Jump it is suitable for transporting People. But for a larger number of them.

In comparison to the other ships it has sold just in a little number to the players. Probably you will have here more AI rivals. If you dont know it: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14801-Introducing-The-Genesis-Starliner (<- Here is written how they imagine the gameplay. With the 890 Jump you could transport single VIPs then :))

It does not interests my that much but it's nice that CIG is building a diverse universe. Some players will lead airlines others will degrade ores etc.

As far for the completion of these ships it will take time. The first of the larger/giant ships will be most likely the Carrack. You must also remember that they have to create an extensive game mechanics with this ships. Since these two ships currently have a low priority.

Personally, I would be more interested in ships like the Orion (mining ship), Carrack (big exploration ship), Reclaimer (salvage ship) and Endeavor (diverse functions like science, hospital etc). But this is just my personal preference.

Are you building a starfleet. ^^

The Avenger could get higher resolution textures compared to other newer ships. For example, in the Constellation nearly every texture inside has the highest possible quality I could imagine. I never saw something like the Retaliator or the Constellation before.

I know that CIG will remodel the 300i, Hornet and Aurora. They will start after they finished the Drake Herald.

___

They are making huge progress on the procedural stuff. In one of the next patches it could be possible to land on planets etc.

Or you could fly to a town in the clouds of Crusader
MediaHandler.ashx

I really need to order a new GPU, tired of trying to play this as a slideshow. Between this game and SteamVR I need to think hard about what to pick out to go along with my otherwise solid PC setup. GPU is still Wing Commander 4 era. LOL

Are you building a starfleet. ^^

The Avenger could get higher resolution textures compared to other newer ships. For example, in the Constellation nearly every texture inside has the highest possible quality I could imagine. I never saw something like the Retaliator or the Constellation before.

I know that CIG will remodel the 300i, Hornet and Aurora. They will start after they finished the Drake Herald.

___

They are making huge progress on the procedural stuff. In one of the next patches it could be possible to land on planets etc.

Or you could fly to a town in the clouds of Crusader
MediaHandler.ashx

Yes. Trying to build up my fleet of vehicles across all platforms. Getting my crew (friends, family, etc..) together as well. This maybe the first game that takes up the rest of my life.... lol

Cool. Just picked up a Avenger Warlock with EMP (LTI) and Genesis Shipliner (LTI) from a seller... I'll post some pics later. :)

What's it like to play, particularly to get to grips with? I love games with depth but will need to find a stretch of time to dip in if the initial experience is overwhelming like EVE (not played for a few years, it may be better now) or how Elite Dangerous was so confusing initially because nothing was explained. But everything I've read has me really interested.

Back