Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by green.pixel, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Sorry for all these posts but here is a high quality video from the procedual ingame scene:

[Forget the "Gameplay with bad video quality (from the livestream)"]

Star Citizen - Freelancer (Holiday Livestream 2015):

Starfarer at 29:15:
    http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/30277203

Reliant at 42:55

John Rhys-Davies was in the end of the livestream.

Thats it I think. ^^

DSoup, homerdog and Malo like this.
  2. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

That proc gen video seems a little disingenuous. The very nice looking craggy landscape surrounding the base seems to stop there. It transitions quickly into a fairly ordinary hightmap and the planet itself isn't show in full from space. Battlescape's doing a much better job atmospheric worlds so far.

These things can come along quickly though. Guess that's one of the up sides of procedural stuff. Streaming of all those base assets seems to be working really smoothly though.

3. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

This is correct. It is important that they embedding the POI maps into the procedural landscape in a way that they will not be noticed that easily. This is true for the video. One could see well where the POI map ends and the procedural planet began as the level of detail in the landscape considerably decreased. But that was a very first version of it. CIG actually thought that they will have the first procedural planet material two years after release.

This may be sound strange but Roberts said that they want Crysis quality planets.

But I do not see a technical problem here. On the procedurally planet they will place POI maps. As seen in the "From Pupil to Planet" video (the Nyx Landing Zone at the beginning). At first there will only be one or two such POI maps on each planet. And the more the planet is advanced, the more POI maps can be unlocked by CIG. So 12 months later Nyx could have then maybe 4 landing zones and two POI maps.

These maps can then - thank to the new 64bit coordinate tech- be very large and filled with POI maps including form of ruins, cities, wrecks etc. place in the usual quality. Thank to the Zone System.

The biggest and most expensive challenge will be the production of all these assets.

Lightman and Malo like this.
  4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

cant they also add procedural POI? so some POI is hand crafted, some other is procedural.

no man's sky's POI is all procedural right?

5. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

It's certainly doable, Elite's doing this already. POI's use objects that can embed in varying gradiants, like piller bunkers. Bases flatten out the surrounding area and are built up of various modules. Fidelity at ground level isn't as high as SC but they do have a different hardware target.

I think NMS has a different approach. As far as I can tell it fills a planet with a single ecosystem/environment set. The idea that all the fun of the planet is happening in front of you wherever you land.

I took advantage of the recent $35 special offer (or was taken advantage of!). At the moment I'm only interested in SQ42. Any luck that's out in a year!

Not blinding first impressions as it either gives connection errors or crashing completely. I'll try again over the weekend!

Jupiter likes this.
  6. hoom

Veteran

Chris Roberts plays

homerdog and Lightman like this.
  7. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

I can not say anything about NMS.

But CIG can generate specified procedurally planets. The Skyrim map was (so far I know) created in this way and then they finally refined by hand. For large POI, the surface could be prepared procedurally.

I think they will create the POI often like the current space stations under a fast construction principle with modular assets.

Welcome! Later they will separate Squadron 42 and Star Citizen for $40-60 each.

I wonder how he finished Demon Souls and The Last of Us. Dark Souls is his favorite game as far as I know.

In my opinion the chat window is not so bad. This is the first time I saw him a little upset.

8. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I finally became backer, took advantage from $30 limited starter deal.

From day0 of SC announcement I was always interested mode in SP campaign. Hopefully they will make a good one. :)

Jupiter likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Welcome too!

Alpha 2.0 sometimes crashes after 10 minutes and sometimes after 3 hours. The general average play time is about 45 minutes. They said that the PTU Alpha 2.1 will there maybe on friday.

10. hoom

Veteran

The words you are looking for is 'it was a steaming clusterfuck' o_O

homerdog likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Source: https://as.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xd9he/articles_about_star_citizen_and_software/

Teaching materials:
    http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-ii/
    http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-ii/
    http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-iii/
    http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-iv/
    http://wccftech.com/jack-software-developed-part-2/

Very informative. Finally someone who understands something about software development. Unfortunately, you cannot say the same about a large part of the press.

What do you exactly mean with this? His game session? Or him? ^^[/QUOTE]

12. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Thanks. Sadly my PC is not gaming ready. My GPU [works fine in other PCs] or mobo are causing freezing & restarts whenever I start any game [all is fine in desktop], so I will have to wait for later versions of Star Citizen until I upgrade my PC to be VR-ready sometimes next year.

13. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

There isn't a version at all of StarCitizen yet really, so you're good for now :)

14. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

@DieH@rd
    The many short stories they have published were mostly very good.

Therefore my expectations for the story are high. Overall, other factors are more important to me.

15. Jwm

Jwm
    Veteran Regular

I like that I can actually play something now, all though the generic dude running around is pretty funny. I have yet to try FPS, mostly just been playing around in space.

16. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah, I cannot wait until the Starfarer is ready. They said that the Starfarer could be Hangar ready in Januar. But because of ist size it will Need time to make it flight ready. The 90*50*20m Starfarer is about the size of a small multiplayer map with his three decks, 20-40 rooms etc.

Here are ship scale maps: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/28970/ship-size-comparison-ship-scale-3-0

One wIth the bigger ones up to 4km long:
    [​IMG]

That Retribution is about 3-4 km.
    [​IMG]

Pixel, homerdog, DSoup and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Very good looking armor at the start for people (I would say) who backed before 43 mio.
    [​IMG]

On the shoulder pad the manufacturer is called "Clark Defense Systems"

"From the 43 million LftC: "Omni Role Combat Armor (ORC) mk9 Manufacturer: CDS (Clark Defense Systems) The ‘standard’ Marine armor for almost twenty years..."

I think the details on that armor will be very good since the very small mobiglas (watch) is looking like this right now.
    upload_2016-1-14_13-27-58.png

(Armor/clothing in generell is still WIP)

this armor picture is from the late published December Monthly Studio Report
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15155-Monthly-Studio-Report

18. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Non contact hardening shadows, for some reason that character seems to float on the ground to me.
    Maybe the shadows aren't as dark as they should...

homerdog likes this.
  19. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

It's more than that. The plane where the feet are resting seems to be completely different from the angle of the floor.
    It's almost like the character was 2D-pasted in the background.

Rodéric likes this.
  20. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah I think they just added a game rendered background to the figure. Not really a big issue for showing off a suit of armor.

Jupiter likes this.