Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

It sounds grand and I hope Robets delivers. However I can't but feel sceptical about the game ever finishing as promised.

Its cool and all but the videos demonstrate feature creep gone amok. Good luck to all the backers. Why wold I want to walk along empty corridors instead of just hopping in the spaceship anyway?
I guess the same reason a fantasy MMO isn't just a hallway of doors each leading to a dungeon stance.

If you do the financial math even without figuring taxes, and countless small expenses, but simply on wages you see that he will need to generate more money soon. 1 year of employing ~500 at ~60k salary = 30 million. I'm sure there are many things he could do beyond raising more money, like taking a loan or finding an investor or go to one of the traditional publishers though.

Gamescom presentation was stunning. I have never seen something like that before. And that's just the beginning.
Link:

Dictator93 from an other forum wrote this:

"Things you can see in the [multi-crew video] video:
Localized physical grids: station has its own gravity, emptiness of space does, inside ships you have your own physics, etc..
- Zone system: no lag and no unecessary rendering
- Huge world: solar system sized map (here just a tiny portion of it)
- Multi crew gameplay: multiple people on a ship doing different roles (command chair, engineer, co commander, gunners)
- Retrieve, Recovery, and EVA: go out of your ship into the void, board other ships, get them in working order for missions
- IDRIS (smaller capital ship shows up at the end)"

They have also showed many other things during the event (social module, a HOTAS setup)
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/10047942

No denying the current build is drop dead gorgeous... however, the specular shimmering needs fixing asap.

@Shortbread
I hate aliasing and hope that they will develop suitable methods to eliminate it .

Forest Stephan (CIG Developer) answered in "Ask a Developer" (Forum Section):
"Aliasing is an important issue for us to solve. We have been spending a decent amount of time investigating how to improve the aliasing issues that are quite apparent. In addition to looking into the aliasing CVAR settings and the code implementations we are realistic that part of the solution also needs be handled on the art side. Making sure are beveled edges are modeled with a thickness that doen't fall off the screen to limit the sizzling, this is especially important when it comes to the LODs. Then we are also discussing the possibilities of having some code that dulls/blurs out the specular on hard edges at a distance as that tends to be the biggest offenders. The challenge we have is the high poly approach we take. When objects are traditionally unwrap in a single sheet, the specular is controlled by the normal map instead of the vertex normals which we use. The normal maps mip map out and alleviates a lot of the aliasing. We obviously have objects that exceed any kind of unwrap capabilities which is why we tile and use smart normals. UE4 as a pretty good implementation that relies on aliasing that heavily blurs instead of sharpens, but it's expensive and generally is a high spec only type deal however we have been investigating that as well. So like everything else in this game, just another challenge to tackle. ;)"

@Pixel
-first year (2012) ~5 people = $250,00 - $400,000
-second year (2013) ~59 people = $2.95mil - $4.72mil
-third year (2014) ~185 people = $9.15mil - $14.64mil
-current year (2015) ~255 people = $12.75mil - $20.4mil.
Which equals to between $25.1mil - $40.16mil. Subtract that from $86.6mil and you get $61.5mil - $46.5mil.

But there are working far more on it (external staff). Currently there are about 450 - 500 people. CIG needs a constant revenue. Even after the release.

Sources:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14839-Letter-From-The-Chairman
http://kotaku.com/how-much-game-makers-get-paid-1608955400

So my sarcastic prediction wasn't far off.
Had to run it at least twice because first time they blew up the ship that was supposed to be captured...

@hoom
It was impressive to see that. Because it shows that the component subsystems are all coming up online. Damaged components is real, and it works.

______

This video is a very good summary of what we can expect on planetary surfaces like ArcCorp. Very extensive. Search out all this information would take forever. It is worth it.

But it is true. Over the years I've read everything they said. It is is not just dancing.

Ugh I actually hate this more the more I see of it.
They are basically making the ultimate Capitalist Corporate US Gun Distopia & making it so people pay through the nose to be shat on by it then talk bullshit dream stories for hours & years about how awesome it is to be shat on :rolleyes:

Those guys were certainly excited about the MMO aspects / supposed city life stuff or whatever.

It does look like an extremely ambitious MMO Privateer / Freelancer which is exactly what a lot of gamers believe they will enjoy flushing a zillion hours into. The same dystopian setting.

The first version of the Social Module is published today. You Should read this:

"Tony Zurovec (Director of PU) was in chatroll earlier (and a lot of other devs too), here are some random answers he gave to questions we posted to him:

When asked about chatboxes ingame:

I think you may as well allow it. It's a convenience, and if you don't, players will just use TeamSpeak or Skype or their cell phones to communicate in real-time anyways....

When asked about shared hangars:

Going into friends hangars will arrive with what I'd call Social Module 2.0. That's the next major milestone, but I'll likely aim to slot a half-point upgrade before that once we've back in the main development stream. Ironically, most of the code to share a friend's hangar is already done. It's just in a different development stream.

Milestones:

The fun really starts after the Social milestones.... I'll talk about those with the release text for the public launch of the Social Module. The Social milestones are more about laying groundwork and testing base functionality - network functionality and performance, in particular. Two months ago we couldn't put a dozen players into ArcCorp without cratering the frame rate. Now at 25 the bandwidth is irrelevant...and it will be getting much better over the next couple of months. This particular PTU version? It'll be outdated by tomorrow night.

When asked about ship optimization:

The PU's efforts are currently focused on network optimizations for FPS players and characters. Ship optimizations will require a separate effort. It's likely we'll focus on that after getting the character stuff working really well.

Grabby Hands?

you'll likely see a grabby hands update with the AI Module, or possibly the earlier Character Customization Module where you'll be able to change your clothing.

When asked about avatars:

Clothing customization will come first. Facial and body customization will come a bit later. The exact elements haven't yet been decided, but the basic thinking is that you'll be able to select your sex, possibly some level of height/weight, hair, skin tone, facial texture, possibly eyes and nose, likely distinguishing marks (like scars), and other such things.

When asked about facial customization on the Sims level:

Unknown at this point, honestly. My preference is to usually go with the base functionality first and then build upon it. So...I'd aim to get the basic facial customization stuff in as soon as possible and release it, and then just add the ability to customize additional stuff later....

Most looked-forward to module?

My favorite will be the AI Module.

When asked about delivery dates/scope:

I'm predominantly focused on what we can realistically deliver over the next twelve months. It's a rolling window, so in six months I'll be worried about what we can deliver 18 months from now.

PU Alpha is too vague. It means different things to different people. The schedule is broken down into PU milestones, each of which focuses on different parts of the basic foundation that's needed for the ultimate game. I'll touch on that a bit with the release text for the Social Module release to the general community. The problem with "PU Alpha" is...can you shop? How are the prices and availability determined? What will the TDD pay for your commodities? Can you mine? What other types of missions are available? Is there AI? To what level exactly - walking around shops? Available for hire? Piloting ships in capacities other than combat pilots? Etc. etc.. It's impossible to try and describe an alpha in a couple of sentences without everyone having a different idea of what's going to be delivered. I'm going to try and add some more specificity to the near-term goals with the text for the Social Module release to the general public.

I don't know what this means, sorry. Question was about players in the bar.

No hitching? Yes, tons of work done on NPC blending and interpolation with the new network optimizations to achieve that.

When asked about player limits/networking:

The networking could easily handle 50 players at the moment. It's the graphics performance that's the limiting factor. That graphics performance will take a substantial leap forward as soon as we're back in the "GameDev" stream. It's a long story, but basically Star Citizen split the code base into streams for Star Marine, and we had to do the Social Module in 1.2.0 - which doesn't have access to the latest graphics stuff - because that's where GIM was, and we had to do GIM in 1.2.0 with Star Marine because it needed a more robust matchmaker. That said...obviously we've got loads of low-res LODs to help cope, and the zone system will cull characters very efficiently.

When asked about dev streams:

Merging 1.2.0 and GameDev is a huge priority. It's a long story, but basically the code base split when Star Marine was supposed to launch, and most of the main (not FPS specific) development occurs in the GameDev stream. We had to launch the Social Module from 1.2.0 - without the benefit of a lot of cool stuff in GameDev - because we needed GIM and the other updated networking tech, and that had specifically been done in 1.2.0 for the benefit of Star Marine. So...long story short...we'll take a quantum leap once we're back in GameDev.

Further Quotes

Casaba is still being modified, so we just closed it off rather than show something that wasn't quite ready. ArcCorp is actually getting a facelift as well. The store facades will look much better in the near future...the main building below Astro Armada will get a big bump in its visuals...and we'll go to lower-poly but parallax occlusion mapped objects to get better performance while maintaining high visual fidelity.

The area just past Dumper's Depot ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that eventually. The area to the left of Casaba and heading away from the Skywalk ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that as well.

Terra Prime's main "city" takes place on external levels of a huge (probably 0.75 mile or so) skyscraper. Terra Prime is so large that we're focusing on some smaller cities first - the so-called First Five.

Other stuff
  • They are planning a rollout of a lot of features soon, with daily PTU updates, and at least two LARGE updates of the Social Module this year, with many more smaller ones in between.
  • The Current Arccorp space is about a third of the final size of Arccorp. There are two fenced off areas that nobody can access yet (although by the time I post this I'm guessing someone will have figured out how to clip through).
  • The Size of Terra Prime will be THREE times the size of any other planetary landing zone. Initially 3 maps stitched together, eventually seamless without any loading.
  • Nyx should be in by October or so (No promises), and temporarily your elevator will have magic planet-hopping powers. Tardis!
  • First Five systems confirmed. PU Alpha mentioned by Tony Z, but he also noted that the definition of "PU Alpha" varies by individual. Stand by for clarification.
  • Expect a big Commlink post from Tony Z sometime soon going into expectations for the Social Module.
  • Bounty Hunting and Piracy commlink articles from Tony Z sometime in the future.
  • Tony Z mentions that they are definitely pushing for "more than 50" people in an instance. This was in reference to the Social Module. Not sure if applies to space instances."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ig189/tony_z_in_the_house/

They also presented the Vanguard variants:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14915-Vanguards-And-Then-There-Were-Three

Parts of Squadron 42 and some new tech will be showed on 10. October (Citizen Con)

How Star Citizen's modules will come together. Hopefully helpful to new players:

http://imgur.com/a/ZhcxX

Making the Sound of StarMarine

I like the weapon sounds a lot!

Star Marine Status Update

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14939-Star-Marine-Status-Update

________

Monthly Studio Report

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14937-Monthly-Studio-Report

Very interesting!

Some quotes:
"We had another fun and busy month here at the studio as we work every day to close down the tasks necessary to bring Arena Commander 2.0 to your computers."
"For the month of September QA will be heavily focusing on Arena Commander 2.0 testing including, among many other things, multi-crew functionality and significantly larger areas."
"The environment team has been busy with the map for the Arena Commander 2.0 release for CitizenCon. "
"Once caught up, we’ll refocus our efforts towards getting Arena Commander 2.0 tested and out the door."
"Roll on September – in which we’ll have two new starters in the department – much needed for testing the upcoming release of sc_alpha_2.0!”

"Magazine check animations were also created to support a new reloading mechanic that will intelligently check the magazine currently in the gun against the other ones the player is carrying and either replace the mag with a fresh one or pop it back in."

"Our main shoot for performance capture for S42 ended beginning of July, but we went back to Imaginarium Studios in London for 2 days to wrap up capture on some crucial story elements we hadn’t shot during the main shoot due to actor availability. Can’t wait to reveal our cast to the fans out there!
We recently got the first full performance of body+face of one of our main actors working in sync in engine. Saying we are quite happy with the level of facial fidelity we can now achieve would be a tremendous understatement.
A smaller part of S42’s opening will actually be shown at CitizenCon in October so we are also working hard on the environment for this scene which will also be perfect to show the progress we have made in facial animation quality."

You certainly are eating up their hype. Let me suggest from personal experience that this might not be a good idea.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice. But I can not agree.They show more and more content. You will just see parts of the big singleplayer on October 10 at CitizenCon.

If the project is accompanied daily. How might some people do here. Then the project is watched optimistic. The employees themselves are very enthusiastic and Darian Vorlick himself said recently (http://imperialnews.network/2015/09/interview-darian-vorlick/) in a really honest and deep interview that he would wich the most for the project that they can do everything faster. For the players. For the critics. But it does not work so. He said as an example that 9 women need 9 months to get a baby. He also said that he left the game company number 1 (Blizzard) in order to work for something ambitious as Star Citizen.

CIG does it all not because it is easy. No, they are doing this because it's hard. They are working on something that no publisher or developer ever has dared.

So its better to invest my money into something really new than in the next standard AAA-project. Most AAA games are the same today. Many sequels. Almost everything known. People be inspired by repeating 3rd person tube corridor shooters. Star Citizen will however make more new than most AAA games. The shooter part alone will have a better quality than dedicated shooters itself. And that's just one part of many.

I think that everything they said is possible. It takes "only" time an money to get that. They have many CryENGINE experts. That people which have made totally different things in 2003 and 2006 that no one thought that would be possible.

_______

Star Citizen – Current Release Plans

http://imperialnews.network/2015/09/star-citizen-release-plans/

Well written, not too long, clear and a summary at the end with full disclosure that his understanding. Very professional!
This article should the base response to everyone with questions about the games release dates (people interested, new backers, etc...).

_______

Someone wrote:

"Technical details are awesome in this update (StarMarine and Monthly Report). This game is going to be pretty.
1. Forward plus shading and shadowing
2. Shadow rendering R n D
3. Modern API refactor (DX12 and Vulkan I imagine)
4. Asynchronous bundle loading
5. Micro skin wrinkles (3times more than Ryse) and blood flow maps on character faces
6. HDR audio and positional audio
7. New physicalizted ragdolls
8. Multilayer material work for characters
9. Multicrew damage shader and physicalized damage

And those are just the ones I remember."

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177634199&postcount=6324

"We’ve also added support for blood-flow maps, which capture unique colour variations on the skin on certain facial poses caused by changing blood-flow and the stretching and compression of the skin. These extensions resulting in a significant improvement in the quality and believability of our characters facial animations."

@Davros
Look at the shooters that we get or which are coming. Besides ARMA there was not much interesting in recent years. Whether first or third person shooter.

Star Marine is just a game in the game. In PU death means something. The player is more demanded. This attracts a different style of play than in conventional shooters. In the most singleplayer games (whether first or third person) there is in every few seconds is a checkpoint. It does not challenge the player. So it's no fun. That dead means nothing. Similar case in the most multiplayer games where the player get respawned in a few seconds.

Star Citizen will get more in depth and scope than other shooters. You can enter an enemy spacecraft in space. Or you want to plunder a vacant and eerie large spacecraft where you find unknown creatures. Another reason why they are building maintenance- and ventilation shafts in big space ships. Then you can drob with your colleagues on a planet and go into ground battles with various complex vehicles.

It hat real Zero G gameplay. No other game touched this before. Everything can be customized. You can lose your arm, leg etc. Which can then be replaced by cybernetics. If you are seriously injured your friends can still save you. So your character does not die.

Star Citizen is a first person universe. Everything can be done.

Back