Splinter Cell: Double Agent Preview

I'm going to cut and paste something on this board that will make you sh*t your pants.

Graphically, however, we seem to already have our answer. When a handful of screenshots of the game were leaked online recently, players had trouble determining which version of the game they were from. Given the less-than-impressive standards that have been set for next-gen games by certain Xbox 360 titles, some fans believed the screens were from the Xbox 360 version of the game, despite looking extremely similar in quality to the Xbox version of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. According to Roy, those screens are actually from the PlayStation 2 version of the game. "It's great to see our PS2 screenshots look as good as an X360 game, but when you see the SC4 X360 screenshots, you'll notice the difference, trust me... the Chaos Theory engine has indeed given us a great head start; on the X360 hardware, we've been having a great time finding new ways to make it sing," he says. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait to get a good look at the first screens from the 360 version of the game, but to see the first screens from the current-gen version, head over to our media page. Splinter Cell Double Agent ships in Spring 2006.

All those pictures in orange jumpsuits that we thought were the Xbox 360 screen were actually coming from the damn PS2!!:oops: :oops:

Imagine what the Xbox version will look like. No scrach that imagine what the Xbox 360 version will look like.

New pictures from the PS2

media

media

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3146357

whoa, very nice. Is that normal mapping i see on the back green wall? :)
the lighting on that first pic is very nice also.

PS2?

Either they meant "PS2-Class", and therefore meant Xbox, or the guys found a way to use (visible) normal mapping on PS2.

The shot shows per-pixel lighting effects, it could be pre-baked, but I really think the game shown was the Xbox version.

Edit: Now that I'm seeing the direct feed pics, only the walls have some sort per-pixel lighting effect... The characters in the Xbox version should also be normal mapped, like in CT. So, it's either the a pre-baked into a colormap effect, or they really pull some great shading tech on the PS2.

Bad_Boy said:
Path of Neo used normal mapping on the ps2, no?
Yes, and no, Shiny says it does, but if it does it's incredibly subtle. Also, the game has one of the worse frame-rate I ever experienced on the console.

I think nine times out of ten multi-platform games are shown on Xbox, then somewhere down the line claimed as PS2, or PS2 will look the same.

Take "BLACK". PS2 game, but I gaurentee most of the media is from the Xbox. Then when it was played by a dev on gamespot..it showed the Xbox boot screen.

Games are just a lot easier to get running on Xbox.

Plus those two screens aren't that impressive. I can believe they are PS2.

The sad thing is people were claiming those shots that were thought to be 360 were better than MGS4..so I guess PS2>PS3 as well.

It's all screenshot trickery..

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah considering the crispness of the shots and the lighting make me think it's the xbox

all ps2 games seem to have that hazy look to them

but it's certainly a step up fron CT

Wow, 100 million PS2 owners must be pretty excited right about now!

Sounds like the 360 shots will be part of a CES or some other major 'unveiling'? If so, MS is finally using their head somewhat by controlling the media (i.e. screenshots, videos, etc) with this game. Sony is the master of that, you wont see anything PS3 that isnt mind blowing while we'll see videos of 20% complete 360 games all over the 'net. :D

don't forget to apply 16x Anti-Anti-Aliasing! :D

I thought those screens were from the Xbox version actually... not X360. The Montreal team kicks ass!

Vysez said:
Yes, and no, Shiny says it does, but if it does it's incredibly subtle. Also, the game has one of the worse frame-rate I ever experienced on the console.
lol true, I pretty much gave up playing the game due to some moments where just felt like a slideshow. I do remember decent some bump/normal mapping (which ever method they really used) in the bathroom tiles on some levels, but I truly think Shiny may have exaggerated a bit.

Path of neo's framerate isn't that bad. I've seen worse and it looks to be caused by the particles. And, if you increase the lighting detail you will start to see them very clearly.

I can't believe that's the ps2 version. There's just no way.

Well, the player shadows on the first shot look very, very PS2. In the 2nd shot, there's no normal mapping on the guys. Also, how many of you have actually played the PS2/Cube version of Chaos Theory? There are some clever uses of gloss effects they implement to make different surfaces look interesting that could be mistaken for per-pixel lighting in a screenshot.

That said, I still think he misspoke. Other screens show self-shadowing on characters and normal mapping on walls, so I'll venture that at least most of the screens came from the Xbox version.

wireframe said:
Preview video of Spliter Cell: Double Agent available at Fileshack.com.

Haven't looked elsewhere. Found this while looking for something else.
I wouldn't call that "teaser trailer" a preview video really

fearsomepirate said:
That said, I still think he misspoke. Other screens show self-shadowing on characters and normal mapping on walls, so I'll venture that at least most of the screens came from the Xbox version.

I think he knows which system was being used. I mean some of you people act like there was 200 screenshots of this game out there. At best there were only 10 screenshots.

It would be pretty hard to misspeak about 6 or 7 screenshots. And why do you guys think the Black screenshots came from the Xbox version also. The first Black screenshots also came from the PS2 version. Creition started their development of Black on the PS2.

fearsomepirate said:
There are some clever uses of gloss effects they implement to make different surfaces look interesting that could be mistaken for per-pixel lighting in a screenshot.

Specular highlights are relatively easy IMHO, you just multiply the specularity (that may even be per-vertex) with a greyscale mask before additively blending it. Depending on the map, it can give the illusion of small dents in the surface...

Back