*spin-off* TV/Console scaling quality

How do you know they use different scalers? AFAIK, the only manufacturer that uses different scalers in their models is Sony (ie: the different bravia engine flavors)

Be careful with that kind of blanket statement. When I bought my Olevia 542i, they were using one display chipset with their 1xx and 3xx series, another with the 5xx and a very high end one in their 7xx line. The panels for each size were generally the same too. Not to mention some lines actually had different chipsets once you got past a certain size. There are a number of display chipset makers out there catering to various price points.

Not quite. At least the 2010 models have slightly different panels depending on the model number. The V-series uses faster phosphors. Not sure if the G series is different, but at least it's mll (black level) output is twice as low as the one in the S models (at least before the black levels rise again)

Still, the panels have nothing to do with the scaler. The best thing was just how fast the Panasonic was.I believe lag was under 20 ms in game mode. (the new LG Plasmas have a disappointing 80 ms in game mode using an HDMI connection and 60+ ms in PC mode)
I was referring specifically to the 9G Panasonics (as both members had 9G models).

Again, it was just a hunch. I never claimed that they are in fact all the same, nor did I base my hunch solely on the fact that they use the same panel. The 09 NeoPDP Panasonic's are all very similar in almost every way. It makes a lot of sense that they would have the same scaler, or at least similar scaling quality.

Edit: Just realized you had an S10 (which I believe is a European and/or Asian model), not an S1. There may be some differences between the S10 and the North American S1.

As for lag, I agree... Panasonic's are very good in this regard. Their game mode doesn't actually lower input lag like some other displays, but it's very low in any mode. LG used to have respectable lag numbers, but now they're also leaning towards the high side. My LH90 is around 28-35ms (with Local Dimming ON and in ISF/Expert mode), which is decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back