*spin-off* Sega Discussion

Sega, the king of wise business decisions. LOL.

Sony's in trouble if the only people that are supporting them as lead platform are Sega and Midway.

Sony's in trouble if the only people that are supporting them as lead platform are Sega and Midway.

Is this a joke post? You probably know if you follow this board that there are a number of developers with concurrent dev teams.

Considering Sega have been in the business longer than most devs by faaaaaaaar i'd say this statement was grossly offensiv, inaccurate & just plain immature..
:rolleyes:

I was speaking about business decisions. As noted in my post. I have a ton of Sega games in my collection, and owned a Saturn and a DC.

Midway has some nice games like Stranglehold, etc..

But lets face the facts: Neither company has done all that great from a business perspective lately.

Sega went from being one of the top publishers down to a nub over the last few years, partly because of their ridiculous strategy of supporting Sony platforms more than any other.

Example: 12 million people chose to buy a Dreamcast instead of a PS2. Sega kills the DC and puts most of their games and flagship titles on PS2. Not smart. Most Sega fans migrated to GC and Xbox. If they wanted a PS2 they would have bought one in the first place.

It makes perfect sense to me that Sega would be one of the few publishers to hold onto the PS3 as lead development platform even though the X360 is 8 million units in the lead right now.

If Yu Suzuki himself were on this board I'd tell him the same thing.

Sega kills the DC and puts most of their games and flagship titles on PS2. Not smart. Most Sega fans migrated to GC and Xbox. If they wanted a PS2 they would have bought one in the first place.

How does this make sense? at all?

12 million bought the GC because it was a Sega console, not for the Sega games?

So because Sega "killed" the GC, "they" decided to buy consoles that Sega didn´t support since they never planned to play Sega games anyway?

huh?

Sega did the right thing to support the PS2.

As for the PS3, who knows. But it's defensible from the standpoint that they want high-end games, not the gimmicky Wii games.

And for the home market, PS3 is way stronger than X360.

I was speaking about business decisions. As noted in my post. I have a ton of Sega games in my collection, and owned a Saturn and a DC.

Midway has some nice games like Stranglehold, etc..

But lets face the facts: Neither company has done all that great from a business perspective lately.

Sega went from being one of the top publishers down to a nub over the last few years, partly because of their ridiculous strategy of supporting Sony platforms more than any other.

Example: 12 million people chose to buy a Dreamcast instead of a PS2. Sega kills the DC and puts most of their games and flagship titles on PS2. Not smart. Most Sega fans migrated to GC and Xbox. If they wanted a PS2 they would have bought one in the first place.

It makes perfect sense to me that Sega would be one of the few publishers to hold onto the PS3 as lead development platform even though the X360 is 8 million units in the lead right now.

If Yu Suzuki himself were on this board I'd tell him the same thing.

The I would think Yu Suzuki would ask you why Shenmue 2 on XBox 1 sold so poorly despite what you said about "most Sega fans migrated to GC and XBox" enough to warrant no further franchise sequels for that platform or its follow up.

Then I, a long time Sega fan (Genesis 93, Saturn 96, Dreamcast 99) who ended up getting both a PS2 and a XBox, I would ask you why Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT 2002/Online, OutRun 2, OutRun 2 Coast2Coast, Gunvalkrye, House of the Dead 3, matter of fact all or most of SEGA's XBox 1 ports ALSO sold very poorly on XBox in the NA region?

I do agree that as a extremely die hard Sega fan I was angry about the cancellation of DC but even back then I saw it coming, at least for me as the Saturn was what made me their fan.

I was fully aware of all of the SegaCD/32X fiasco that angered alot of Sega's own older customers before me.

Saturn's way too early launch and higher price during that time did not just anger their own customers, it made them wary of purchasing their console outside of Japan where Saturn actually enjoyed high sales in its first three years.

Looking back, Sega then became sinking console ship when it started to bail out on Saturn despite the fact that they were holding a very profitable market share in Japan, hiring Bernie Stolar who was against RPGs even at Sony where his touch blocked many Japanese RPGs during the PSX's early years and he left many months prior to FF VII and he also loved to claim how Saturn was not the future way too prematurely to hurt consumer confidence in 1997 (two years from US DC launch) as well as anger 3rd party devs and publishers who did not buy into his Dreamcast hype and went with Sony.

I intially bought into the hype of the XBox 1's higher specs forgetting in the process what de the Saturn games Sega made special but I just do not buy that its in any way a mistake for Sega to not make most of their games on Sony consoles.

Sega's PS2 games including those that were not able to make it out of Japan were part of a great run and sold respectable depending on the title thanks in part to the impressive installed base of PS2 owners, I myself was at first disappointed in Yu Suzuki's VF4 on PS2 but with his team's amazing VF4 Evolution port (from NAOMI 2) he really proved once again what made his Saturn games special in that it was not how hard the hardware was to program for.

I would also say that in my opinion Sega is much better suited to make their original games on Sony's Playstation 3 given the nature of the console's hardware specs focus and I really feel comfortable in saying that having seen the videos so far released of Yakuza 3 for PS3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5495.html

Sorry if I ranted too much OT about Sega but that is just how I feel, on the other side I also think that it was wise move for Sega to have made their Virtual Tennis and Virtua Fighter 5 for both X360 and PS3 specially given the nature that the game was written to use an Nvidia NV40 in the arcade (Lindhberg) and due to the low installed base of both consoles, VF5 is in desperate need to find an audience outside of Japan.

Also and this is just me but the Sonic game for X360 and PS3 was probably a major part of the embarrasment in Sega losing their publishing lead, they never should have used their flagship title as a multiplatform game.

Midway on the other hand is not perfect, specially when it comes to their major franchises but they really do a great job of making games that are fun or at least the few that many can agree are to an extent (much like how some argue about Sega games) that I also enjoyed their MK Shaolin Monks and MKA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The I would think Yu Suzuki would ask you why Shenmue 2 on XBox 1 sold so poorly despite what you said about "most Sega fans migrated to GC and XBox" enough to warrant no further franchise sequels for that platform or its follow up.

Then I, a long time Sega fan (Genesis 93, Saturn 96, Dreamcast 99) who ended up getting both a PS2 and a XBox, I would ask you why Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT 2002/Online, OutRun 2, OutRun 2 Coast2Coast, Gunvalkrye, House of the Dead 3, matter of fact all or most of SEGA's XBox 1 ports ALSO sold very poorly on XBox in the NA region?

Also and this is just me but the Sonic game for X360 and PS3 was probably a major part of the embarrasment in Sega losing their publishing lead, they never should have used their flagship title as a multiplatform game.

Well the problem with most of the games you mention is that they wouldn't have sold well on ANY platform. JSR and Outrun franchises should have been on GC though. That one's a no-brainer.

The problem with the new Sonic title wasn't that it was multi-platform. The problem is that it was crap.

It's pretty sad that the likes of Ubisoft and Activision can put out quality multi-platform titles, but Sega can't seem to code its way out of a paper bag lately. Using the PS3 (the hardest to program platform) as lead platform is only going to exacerbate the problem.

Well the problem with most of the games you mention is that they wouldn't have sold well on ANY platform. JSR and Outrun franchises should have been on GC though. That one's a no-brainer.

The problem with the new Sonic title wasn't that it was multi-platform. The problem is that it was crap.

It's pretty sad that the likes of Ubisoft and Activision can put out quality multi-platform titles, but Sega can't seem to code its way out of a paper bag lately. Using the PS3 (the hardest to program platform) as lead platform is only going to exacerbate the problem.

Errr... :???:

Who says the coders where the ones at fault?

From what I can gather the problems associated with practically all the Sonic games since the 2D age were based almost entirely around bad design decisions over any technical deficiencies..

Could you please enlighten me why GC owners would buy Outrun more than PS2 and Xbox owners?

Sorry for being off topic, but I really want to know.

Talking about derailing a pretty good thread! A few pages back we had some good input from devs.. now its all over the place. If you want to debate the merits of what games should be one which console, start another thread. :devilish:

Sega games sell poorly in NA because Sega understands the NA market about as well as MS understands the Japanese market. They've also done a poor job bringing past franchises into the modern era. They've been peddling 1985 arcade experience and depth in a modern 3d package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega games sell poorly in NA because Sega understands the NA market about as well as MS understands the Japanese market. They've also done a poor job bringing past franchises into the modern era. They've been peddling 1985 arcade experience and depth in a modern 3d package.

I agree with this.. However only recently they've begun to show promise in understanding there weaknesses & taking steps to rectify them..

The purchase of TheCreativeAssembly & the "Comdemned" guys show that they CAN in fact make good business decisions & hopefully they still have a bright future in the industry..

Now back to multi-platform development.. :D

The Shenmue games sold better than the Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza games which also had very high budgets (US$20+ million). Overall SEGA sales were equally poor between Xbox and PlayStation platforms.

The Shenmue games sold better than the Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza games which also had very high budgets (US$20+ million). Overall SEGA sales were equally poor between Xbox and PlayStation platforms.

Do you have any sources for the Yakuza production costs?

Shenmue's development covered the major scenarios of both the original installment and the sequel, and even content beyond, before being truncated and made into two games.

Guinness World Records isolates the cost of the first game and reports it as around US$20 million.

Back