Sound on x360?

Guden Oden said:
There's a DTS logo on the PS2, but it doesn't actually decode it when you play a disc with DTS sound, so if you use analog audio out you hear nothing..
Yeah, DTS are on a winner with their licensing system.. from what I remember you have to pay them to pass-through the DTS bitstream (which allows you to put the logo on your box), as far as I remember. Think it may be the same with passthrough (not decoding) of Dolby Digital too.

More like they've got a license to print money, come to think of it... :D

Hmm, under digital audio it had 3 settings, one was 5.1, the outher was Digital Something and I can't remember the 3rd. I'll check when I get home!

As for how this is set in the dashboard, you can set analogue and digital independantly, so I set my analogue to pro logic, and digital to 5.1

There was an interview with Holmdahl where i recall him saying that when maxing out the audio capabilities of the 360 (i.e. the maximum number of voices, either 64 or 128) it would consume 25% of one core. So using less, will consume less. I'll keep trying to track this down to get the specifics...

I dont have an analog audio out just digital. If you like i can test if it will pass through a DTS bitstream to my receiver, which i'm nearly 100% certain it will. Or did you want to know if it can decode/downmix DTS to the stereo analog outs?

expletive said:
I dont have an analog audio out just digital. If you like i can test if it will pass through a DTS bitstream to my receiver, which i'm nearly 100% certain it will. Or did you want to know if it can decode/downmix DTS to the stereo analog outs?

Do you think that is it possible to verify this? Almost all DVDs has 2.0 track as well, so when you specify stereo analog, only the 2.0 track is decoded and sent to the stereo analog outputs, not the DTS track.

The connector is optical. You can see the optical port at the base of the component cable. Same place as the TV/HDTV switch. I'm glad they didn't go with a dongle box like the one I currently have.

Tommy McClain

silhouette said:
Seems coaxial then... (I do not remember any optical out in HD/S/VGA cables..).. Good to know this..

feh I managed to screw up typing the header in where it says Connect to a Digital Audio Optical AV System (Optional).

Fixed my previous also :oops:

AzBat said:
The connector is optical. You can see the optical port at the base of the component cable. Same place as the TV/HDTV switch. I'm glad they didn't go with a dongle box like the one I currently have.

Tommy McClain

:oops: I just assume that there should be a cable in that batch for optical out... my bad.. I should have thought that a port on the dongle would do the job.

Thanks...

silhouette said:
Do you think that is it possible to verify this? Almost all DVDs has 2.0 track as well, so when you specify stereo analog, only the 2.0 track is decoded and sent to the stereo analog outputs, not the DTS track.

Well confirmed DTS via optical (of course). Also, looks like only 480p out from DVD as well. I'll try to confirm the downmix stuff when i move the 360 to the 'big' system with a processor. I have extra analog inputs there.

london-boy said:
:oops: DTS is not a Sony format, any more than DVD is a Sony format (and therefore not to be used on anything else but Sony hardware), where the hell did you get that from?! :LOL:

sorry getting confusesd with SA-CD

Yesterday, I tried to access the music on my I-pod with Xb360.. Although the music files cannot be seen when Ipod is connected to a PC as hard-disk, the 360 can see all of them without any problem (in fact, I was suprised when it also displayed the name of the I-pod).. You can browse them on TV and even can use the playlists on the i-pod. However, the downside is it cannot play Mpeg4-AAC files, even the non-DRMed ones. That's a pity as all my music is in AAC format. I hope the player's can be upgradeable and we'll have AAC player also in the future..

silhouette said:
Yesterday, I tried to access the music on my I-pod with Xb360.. Although the music files cannot be seen when Ipod is connected to a PC as hard-disk, the 360 can see all of them without any problem (in fact, I was suprised when it also displayed the name of the I-pod).. You can browse them on TV and even can use the playlists on the i-pod. However, the downside is it cannot play Mpeg4-AAC files, even the non-DRMed ones. That's a pity as all my music is in AAC format. I hope the player's can be upgradeable and we'll have AAC player also in the future..

apple owns the AAC format.. so dont count on it

I thought I heard there was an update for that (AAC). But that was some random person on IRC talking, so you know how that goes.

PG2G said:
I thought I heard there was an update for that (AAC). But that was some random person on IRC talking, so you know how that goes.

Interesting.. Have not tried live... If I get an update for that, you guys are the first one to know here :)

I ran into a bug in the 360 cd software, when I play a cd in the unit it passes it along as Dolby 5.1 instead of linear PCM. It's weird as it's 5.1 with only 2 channels of sound coming out.

Found info about playing AAC files on XB360...

You can connect a portable music player to an Xbox 360 console to listen to music as you play Xbox 360 games. However, the Xbox 360 console does not support all music formats or all portable music players. You cannot play copyright-protected music from certain services, such as Apple iTunes. To play unprotected advanced audio coding (AAC) music from an Apple iPod, use your Xbox Live Silver or Gold Membership to download a free update from the Xbox Live Marketplace. Every console that requires this update must connect to Xbox Live. For more information about media issues, visit the following Web site:
http://www.xbox.com/media

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;909154&sd=xbox

swanlee said:
I ran into a bug in the 360 cd software, when I play a cd in the unit it passes it along as Dolby 5.1 instead of linear PCM. It's weird as it's 5.1 with only 2 channels of sound coming out.
There's a setting to change the Xbox360 to either output DD 5.1 or PCM 2.0 in digital mode. It is dumb though since, you should be able to separately set it for games and CD/MP3.

Back