Sound on x360?

Guden Oden

Legend
Not been much discussion on this topic so far. I'm just wondering how it'll work on the system. With video, it seems the resolution is set through the dashboard only and not inside each game title as is the case today (assuming such settings are possible).

What about sound? We know x360 is able to do 5.1 dolby surround of the digital variety, and I believe it also supports analog pro-logic 2 encoding. So is this preference also set through the dashboard?

What do people think will happen with sound on x360, considering it is now entirely CPU-driven. It was claimed by a certain member of this forum, that the original xbox, courtesy of its hardwired and programmable DSPs would have far better surround sound than gamecube with its relatively paltry 81MHz 16-bit DSP. Well, how much of all those supposed capabilities were really ever exploited, and how much CPU power does this - and other - members think devs will dedicate for advanced sound effects on x360?

What we get most of the time on the PC is pretty much directional audio where sound behind the player comes out of the back speakers etc, with some reverb or such for particular indoors locations (houses, caves etc). And maybe occlusions if there's an obstruction inbetween the source and the player. All the checkboxes on creative's soundcards in particular are mostly unused by the vast majority of developers, so one has but to wonder what can, and will be done on x360. Particulary if advanced sound processing should prove itself to be computationally costly.

While simple mixing of even a huge number of channels will not consume a very large amount of on-paper bandwidth, many small accesses from a large number of locations will lead to lots of page breaks on main memory accesses, inefficiencies in transfers across the the FSB, etc, which might have a noticeable impact on overall system performance. Thus, it makes me curious.

Any x360 dev input on this and any other related subject I may have overlooked would of course be extra appreciated. :)

Guden Oden said:
What about sound? We know x360 is able to do 5.1 dolby surround of the digital variety, and I believe it also supports analog pro-logic 2 encoding. So is this preference also set through the dashboard?

When you start the system up it detects if you have an Optical audio cable attached or not. If you do it automatically selects Dolby Digital. Otherwise it defaults to analog. (ProLogic II)

It's easy. If you see the logo anywhere on the box, then it's supported. I think it's a requirement to show the logo if you support DD or DTS. If the logo isn't there, i'd have a look at the manual.

rabidrabbit said:
Surely, it must be supported on DVD's at least? For games Dolby Digital is probably it.
There's a DTS logo on the PS2, but it doesn't actually decode it when you play a disc with DTS sound, so if you use analog audio out you hear nothing...

Powderkeg:
Tanx for the infos.

It's rather cheap of MS to not include the optical connector on the console itself, but then again they're doing the extortion bit with all their peripherals this time 'round, including selling wireless controllers without the recharging wire and battery, etc. I'm sort of surprised actually that the mic for the headset isn't also a separate item. :rolleyes:

Guden Oden said:
There's a DTS logo on the PS2, but it doesn't actually decode it when you play a disc with DTS sound, so if you use analog audio out you hear nothing...

You don't want 6 or more wires coming out of the console (or the DVD player) itself straight to the speakers, do you? ;)

Just kidding i know what you meant, but the fact that the PS2 doesn't decode the DTS stream itself doesn't mean that it shouldn't have the DTS logo, because it is fully supported like most DVD players, through the optical (or coaxial) cable, to the amplifier.

london-boy said:
You don't want 6 or more wires coming out of the console (or the DVD player) itself straight to the speakers, do you? ;)
It could at least have produced a stereo signal like it does with dolby digital. Don't need 6 or more wires for that now do we? :devilish:

This isn't what the topic is about tho. Let's not derail it any further. :)

Guden Oden said:
It's rather cheap of MS to not include the optical connector on the console itself, but then again they're doing the extortion bit with all their peripherals this time 'round, including selling wireless controllers without the recharging wire and battery, etc. I'm sort of surprised actually that the mic for the headset isn't also a separate item. :rolleyes:

The optical input is on all of the A/V cables, so you don't have to buy anything extra for the DD5.1 support.

And as for the wireless controller not coming with rechargable batteries, I haven't seen one yet that did.

DTS is a Sony format. Do you think the Xbox will support it? Anyway what DVD with DTS doesn't just output in DD if you don't have a DTS player?

Randell said:
DTS is a Sony format. Do you think the Xbox will support it? Anyway what DVD with DTS doesn't just output in DD if you don't have a DTS player?

:oops: DTS is not a Sony format, any more than DVD is a Sony format (and therefore not to be used on anything else but Sony hardware), where the hell did you get that from?! :LOL:

I'm sure it can simply do DTS passthrough to the digital output for pre-encoded content like DVDs. That's not a problem at all. The more interesting question imho is whether or not it supports realtime dolby digital encoding. I believe to do this legally right now you need a license from dolby.

Nite_Hawk

I believe Powderkeg answered that question, Hawk. And I have a distinct memory reading that x360 does support realtime encoding (and thus includes the proper dolby licenses, etc).

Powder, seeing as you seem to possess a 360, can you tell us a little about the sound? Both while gaming and while watching DVDs. Gamecube's analog DPL2 surround worked quite well, at least as long as sound didn't get too 'busy' (ie: massive firing, projectiles bouncing around etc). How is DPL2 on x360? Any noticeable sound lag in DD mode?

I thought sound was all done via software. They should be able to implement whatever they want and pass it through the optical out, no?

Randell said:

Randell, DTS is a company which does the same business as Dolby.. They have awful lot of audio processing related products. DTS on DVD's are actually a 5.1 audio encoding format.. It compress 5.1 channel audio down to 1.5 Mbit/s or 768 kbit/s. There are also some extensions to this standard for 6.1 channel audio.

Almost all of the DVD players in the market just sent the pre-encoded DD/DTS signal to audio receivers through an optical or digial connector. Some of them has the capability of decoding it and feeding 5.1 speaker config as well.

I am really suprised why MS did not have any support for DTS. Because, in purely algorithmic point of view, it will be computationally cheaper to encode 5.1 signal in 1.5 Mbit/s using DTS than to encode at 448 kbit/s using DD. However, I think MS need to pay royalties to DTS if they would like to do it, so they just went with Dolby.

Btw, is there any optical/co-axial connector in Xb360 for DD 5.1 sound?

silhouette said:
Btw, is there any optical/co-axial connector in Xb360 for DD 5.1 sound?

xbox360 setup manual said:
Connect to a Digital Audio Optical AV System (Optional).
If you have an audio system (typically, a receiver or amplifier) that supports digital audio input, you can connect to digital audio rather than to the standard left and right audio by using the Xbox 360 component HD AV cable, the Xbox 360 S-video cable, or the Xbox 360 VGA video cable (all sold seperately). Digital audio should produce higher quality sound. Follow the AV cable instructions for connecting digital audio.

From page 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
PG2G said:
I thought sound was all done via software. They should be able to implement whatever they want and pass it through the optical out, no?

In an interview around e3 (and I have no link) someone said that DTS could be supported if the developer wanted to. I dont remember who said it, just that I was happy there might be some DTS games. The xbox1 basically had nvidia's soundstorm chip on it would do DD for "free". It's my understanding that you could do DTS on xbox1 if you wanted to but you would be using CPU cycles. Makes more sense to use the built in hardware DD. With x360 though its all done on the CPU so it shouldn't be a problem to have DTS if a developer wanted to. I've always heard with DVD movies DTS audio is larger in file size than DD so if disc space is an issue that Dolby would be a better. Not all lower end receivers accept DTS and just about everything will accept Dolby Digital 5.1. That might be a factor in a developers decision too.

Back