Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

I don't find PS2 emulation far-fetched; I don't think the hardware design would've been altered to facilitate it, though (it wouldn't be the + in 543MP4+, for instance.)

Sony has the performance available and proprietary knowledge to make it work, and it's just a matter of innovative software craftsmanship. Since the titles would be downloaded anyway, it's a moot point.

PSP had 4MB of fast vram much like PS2, didn't it? So there is comparatively more to gain from being able to emulate that. I think we'll find out soon enough.

what about the fact that NGP will have quad-core cpu , quad-core gpu & dedicated media chips. wouldn't that make it easier to split the PS2 emulation up into small jobs for each core ?
Easier than having one of each of those same cores, yes. Easier than having single cores at 4x the size, no. How do you take single threaded code and split it across multiple cores?

& what about the PSP emulation? isn't that being done without using PSP parts?
What has that got to do with emulating PS2? They're different architectures.

it's 11 years later PS2 can be emulated by Sony without using the same PS2 parts this is not some guys in their basements trying to emulate PS2 on different types of PC setups with different hardware & OS it's Sony making new hardware knowing what's needed to get the job done & knowing what held it back on the PS3
time has nothing to do with it. Emulation requires enough power to turn one set of instructions for one architecture into another set for another architecture. The more processing power you have, the more difference in architectures you can accomodate. The closer to the architectures, the less power is needed. NGP is not closer to PS2 than PS3 is (assuming no special hardware inclusions) and certainly not as powerful. If There was PS2 emulation on PS3, I'd consider a possibility of PS2 emulation on NGP. As it is, PS2's CPU is emulated on PS3 but not the GPU. NGP would face the same issues. CPU emulation could be doable. GPU and overall system architecture, I don't think so. It doesn't matter how much inside info Sony has. If a company makes a tractor one year that's designed for pulling heavy loads, and then a sports car 11 years later designed to move really fast, you wouldn't expect the sports car could also function as a tractor just because it's 11 years later! They are different designs for different jobs. PS2's design is very unconventional, so it's not just a matter of x years later, it can be emulated. PCSX2 requires monster PCs, running at GHz speeds, to get the real speed. No amount of insider info from Sony is going to make up the performance discrepency between NGP's portabel ahrdware and a big-rig PC.

everything about the NGP isn't known yet so I wouldn't be so quick to say it's not going to happen just because it's not working on the PS3.
Like I said, itf there's hardware in there, it'll happen. But if there isn't, it very likely won't as evidenced by PS3. Bare in mind I didn't say won't happen, but very probably won't. I'm always open to surprises. ;)

plus it seems like they have more to gain from having PS2 games on PSN for NGP than they did having people play their old PS2 games on the PS3.
To some degree, but now PS2 sales over PSN would be just as beneficial on PS3, especially when there's still a PS2 market for new titles. PS2 emulation on PS3 would allow devs to target games to the existing PS2 install base, upcoming PS2 sales in new territories, and PS3 in the same way PSP Mini's do. Given the investment Sony already put into trying to get emulation up and running on PS3, if they had it working they'd be stupid not to release it. So we can comfortably say a 3.2 GHz, 7 core CPU and 500 MHz GPU can't emulate a PS2; does it make sense to think a quad core 200 MHz ARM + SGX will be able to?

Improbable, in the same way we expected RSX to have special source for emulation, and it turned out to be a pretty stock part. What's required for emulation is basically the Reality Synthesizer in there. I don't see how any other GPU could emulate it unless its an extremely customised part, which is adding considerable cost and complexity.

Having said that, the GS was titchy. If the handheld went with an eDRAM design, 4MBs like PS2, they could possibly fit the GS logic in there and then just need EE emulation. Which again wouldn't be easy!for Sony.

So the X360 could be able to emulate the PS2, but the PS3 couldn't. Ironic, uhn?

The 4MB eDRAM in the GS are rated at 48GB/s. I'd expect the next-gen of consoles to have an UMA with well above 100GB/s, so PS2 emulation in "PS4" (if we ever get to see one and it's not a cloud-processing based device) should be a lot easier.
But looking at the current trend of low-bandwidth UMAs in handhelds (current and future), It should take a while before that's possible on mobile devices.

Why anyone would want to play 2002 games in ~2015 is a whole other story, though.

At this point I rate hardware BC's chances as highly unlikely, and any PS2 games for the paltform will be rewrites. Although having the full PS2 library available could be lucrative for Sony.

So I assume you're not only mentioning PS2 BC but also PSP BC, since the PSP's GPU also has eDRAM with ~10GB\s bandwidth, something I doubt the SGX543MP4+ will ever have access to (unless they're doing something like 96\128-bit LPDDR2 UMA), not to mention NURBS rendering :???:

maybe I have too much faith in time & research

43MP4+

maybe that's what the + is for?
if the SGX wouldve been changed to deal well with PS2 workloads it would be more announced like [strike]SGX43MP4[/strike]. The + is likely some nonstandard configuration like bigger caches or a different kind of memory IF. I doubt its anything cooked up by Sony, and if any substantial effort wouldve been made to the architecture it would likely have dropped the "multicore" configuration and been converted into a single core without redundancy and worse scaling (however slight that might be) of a MP.
So the X360 could be able to emulate the PS2, but the PS3 couldn't. Ironic, uhn?
Noone said that, if you`d put the logic from the GS on-chip (maybe MS kept that a secret) and the edram would be as flexible as PS2`s (which the X360s aint) then yes... you could do BC like in the PS3-Modles that had only the GS-Chip and emulated the CPU.
The 4MB eDRAM in the GS are rated at 48GB/s. I'd expect the next-gen of consoles to have an UMA with well above 100GB/s, so PS2 emulation in "PS4" (if we ever get to see one and it's not a cloud-processing based device) should be a lot easier.
Not easier but possible (with playable framerates), and bandwidth isnt even the biggest concern as repeatedly stated. Just look at PCSX2, you can emulate anything (given enough memory)... but you will need alot horsepower to pull it of at acceptable speed.
But looking at the current trend of low-bandwidth UMAs in handhelds (current and future), It should take a while before that's possible on mobile devices.
I would be surprised if NGP is UMA.
Why anyone would want to play 2002 games in ~2015 is a whole other story, though.
If the trend of bland FPS titles and dumbed down mainstream titles continues then thats very likely. Current consoles dont have a fraction of the PS2`s diversity. But for the standout titles I would actually prefer a HD-Remake even if I actually own them already (A new PS2 model with HDMI out would be a nice step inbetween...)
So I assume you're not only mentioning PS2 BC but also PSP BC, since the PSP's GPU also has eDRAM with ~10GB\s bandwidth, something I doubt the SGX543MP4+ will ever have access to (unless they're doing something like 96\128-bit LPDDR2 UMA), not to mention NURBS rendering :???:
likely some GDDR3 memory? and 10GB/s is not a problem today.

Noone said that, if you`d put the logic from the GS on-chip (maybe MS kept that a secret) and the edram would be as flexible as PS2`s (which the X360s aint) then yes... you could do BC like in the PS3-Modles that had only the GS-Chip and emulated the CPU.

So you don't think Xenos is flexible&powerfull enough to emulate the GS? 16 fixed function pixel shaders @ 166MHz wouldn't be able to do with 48 programable shaders @ 500MHz?
What else am I missing here, and how come the edram isn't as flexible?

If the trend of bland FPS titles and dumbed down mainstream titles continues then thats very likely.
Current consoles dont have a fraction of the PS2`s diversity. But for the standout titles I would actually prefer a HD-Remake even if I actually own them already (A new PS2 model with HDMI out would be a nice step inbetween...)
Oh come on, we both know it's not that bad.

likely some GDDR3 memory? and 10GB/s is not a problem today.

You think the NGP will have GDDR3?!

if the SGX wouldve been changed to deal well with PS2 workloads it would be more announced like [strike]SGX43MP4[/strike]. The + is likely some nonstandard configuration like bigger caches or a different kind of memory IF. I doubt its anything cooked up by Sony, and if any substantial effort wouldve been made to the architecture it would likely have dropped the "multicore" configuration and been converted into a single core without redundancy and worse scaling (however slight that might be) of a MP.

I think the + is a graphics specific thing in some fashion, rather than an i/f or ram configuration. I assume just about every instantiation of a SGX I/P requires unique or at least tinkered interface, and likely each licencess picks their own on-board memory. Omap4 wont' be the exact same i/p block as the one in hummingbird etc. Certainly in the past when img where ask to make a 128bit bus version of SGX530, they called it a distinct version, SGX531 http://www.nxp.com/news/content/file_1661.html

So you don't think Xenos is flexible&powerfull enough to emulate the GS? 16 fixed function pixel shaders @ 166MHz wouldn't be able to do with 48 programable shaders @ 500MHz?
an the PS2 you had little restriction on what you can do with edram, Xenos is limited to rendering to edram - you cant for example use the result as texture afterwards without pushing it to main ram first.
And the real issue is that GPUs are slow to change state and favor processing huge batches of triangles, PS2 games often changed state every few triangles - which would totally kill performance. And since Xenos edram is rather restricted think of having to transfer it to main-ram every triangles in most extreme cases.
On the positive side you could probably automatically replace some of the ackward scenarios with schemes that play beter to current GPUs, but how good this could work is something that changes fom title to title.
Oh come on, we both know it's not that bad.
Then name me a couple plattformers and splitscreen arcade racers. Im over exaggerating, yes, but so are you if you think theres no interest in old games. I still play Castlevania SOTN from time to time and gog.com bases their whole business model around old or even ancient games
You think the NGP will have GDDR3?!
petty sure something (lowpower-version) like that for the GPU, apart from the pool of lpddr2 for the CPU.

what about the fact that NGP will have quad-core cpu , quad-core gpu & dedicated media chips

wouldn't that make it easier to split the PS2 emulation up into small jobs for each core ?

Not only can you not split one CPU-like core into multiple threads in emulations, but you often can't even split many CPU-like cores into multiple threads in emulation.

Take an example from Nintendo DS: there are two CPU cores, an ARM9 and an ARM7. There's a Nintendo library software communication procedure that works by having one core tell something to the other and the other sends a response showing it got the message. The sending core will spin a loop for a (relatively small, think dozens) number of iterations waiting for that response, and if it doesn't get it afterwards it assumes the thing is broken and everything stops dead in its tracks.

If you're emulating these cores on two separate threads - let's assume you've been able to peg them as executing simultaneously on different cores, because otherwise you're already screwed - you've got a massive realtime requirement that can be difficult or impossible to meet. If, during this attempt at communication, core B is somehow stalled for only dozens of CPU cycles you're going to be hosed. Even if you're running this stuff in a real-time OS without preemptive multitasking and no virtual address space or anything, an interrupt or even an outer-level cache miss can screw you. Not to mention, you still need to emulate other things aside from CPU cores so if anything needs to share resources you're hosed.

PCSX2 traditionally had a multitasking parameter of switching which CPU it executed every 512 clock cycles. Presumably a clock cycle corresponded to emulating 1 or maybe some small N instructions in at least most cases, for the EE anyway. I don't know where this number came from, but I know that the developers warned against trying to change it to improve performance, so I presume it was picked for a reason.

Another big challenge with PS2 emulation is that the FPU and VUs don't handle infinity/NaN (and also therefore have a larger dynamic range) and this can't be emulated fully correctly on an FPU that, and workarounds have to be made in order to try to make things passable. FPU compatibility problems are a nightmare for emulation, and are just one example where not having the right kind of specialized hardware means you'll either have compatibility problems or will spend tons of CPU cycles emulating something in software. Never underestimate how many machine instructions it can take to emulate something hardware can do in one clock cycle.

PS3 did manage to emulate EE, and I don't know how it attempted to split resources. But the results were less than amazing, with compatibility and performance problems plaguing many games. Providing a user experience that's this unreliable (such as games randomly locking or being unable to progress past a certain point) can become more of a liability than its worth.

& what about the PSP emulation? isn't that being done without using PSP parts?

1) Regardless of what anyone says, PSP is a lot simpler than PS2
2) PSP benefits from having a great deal of its hardware abstracted off by the operating system, something that's impossible to circumvent in game titles, much unlike PS2, and this might mean less tight synchronization is needed as well
3) Only a very specific set of titles are being emulated, not at all a general purpose emulator meant for backwards compatibility.. it's entirely possible that the games were made under a set of constraints to make emulation easier
4) PS3 has way more single threaded and vector performance than NGP will

it's 11 years later PS2 can be emulated by Sony without using the same PS2 parts this is not some guys in their basements trying to emulate PS2 on different types of PC setups with different hardware & OS it's Sony making new hardware knowing what's needed to get the job done & knowing what held it back on the PS3

Those "guys in their basements" have proven time and again that they're capable of matching commercial quality in emulation. Companies don't have secret sauce for improving performance and often times don't know much more about the hardware than people have figured out on their own (or gleaned from leaked documents...). They may be in more of a position to compromise compatibility for performance, but I'm not sure that is on the table for this discussion.

To a large extent Sony is probably not really "making new hardware" either, as much as they're gluing together available IP blocks.

everything about the NGP isn't known yet so I wouldn't be so quick to say it's not going to happen just because it's not working on the PS3. I seen a PSP attempt to emulate a dreamcast so I have a hard time believing that Sony can't emulate PS2 on new hardware that they are releasing 11 years after the PS2 they can pretty much have PS2 as SoC now.

Yeah, the operative word being "attempt." No doubt someone could port PCSX2 to NGP if they had the ability to run software, but it'd run poorly, just like the port of nullDC to PSP. I figured when talking about BC we were talking about the kind where the game runs at the right speed.

They could have PS2 as an SoC now, but even with a shrink all the way to 40nm it'd probably still take more die space than is worthwhile.

plus it seems like they have more to gain from having PS2 games on PSN for NGP than they did having people play their old PS2 games on the PS3.

If they're going to rerelease games they can port them.

ToTTenTranz said:

It only really takes a few hardware features that one has and the other doesn't to make things fall apart.

For instance, PS2's GS has support for 4bpp and 8bpp paletted textures, which I'm not aware of Xenos supporting. Emulating this either means expanding in a texture cache - which could now blow your eDRAM constraints - or doing it in shaders which can be pretty expensive.

Others here seem to know a lot about GS, so maybe they could give some more examples of where things don't line up. Trying to fit one complex set of special purpose hardware another can be a quite precarious proposition if there isn't some unifying standard that guarantees they do only the same things.

No. The presence of eDRAM alone is not enough to enable BC with GS. GS is a strange beast with a different internal working to normal GPUs. Sticking eDRAM on a normal GPU gets you pretty much no nearer to GS emulation than without. i've spent ages searching for old posts from Fafalada and friends on this, and there's a lot out there, but I'm stopping now. Look up posts like this and this. There was another from DeanA talking about pallete changes mid-frame.

This thread's about NGP coming out this year. ;) A number of games would do well on a portable PS2 IMO, and as I said, there'd be a market for PS2 titles on PS3 in the same vein as Mini's - not pushing the hardware but being enjoyable. NGP + PS3 + PS2 worldwide would be a huge market for a dev to target, and Sony are stull activiely supporting PS2 in some areas, so it'd make sense to extend that market to their other devices if possible. It's just too hard!

Again, it's not about the bandwidth, but the ability for the new architecture to map onto the old one. I don't know squat about programming for PSP or SGX, so can't even hazard a guess as to what the hurdles are that Sony has to overcome.

PS2's eDRAM was a full memory pool for all the GPU, which could read to and write to the eDRAM. 360's eDRAM is just there for the resolving of the buffers, which have to be written to RAM to be accessed via the GPU. The power alone doesn't solve architectural differences, and so you can't just look at a computer of an order of magnitude power above another and expect it to be able to emulate the lower performance machines.

Those "guys in their basements" have proven time and again that they're capable of matching commercial quality in emulation. Companies don't have secret sauce for improving performance and often times don't know much more about the hardware than people have figured out on their own (or gleaned from leaked documents...). They may be in more of a position to compromise compatibility for performance, but I'm not sure that is on the table for this discussion.

yeah I know the guys in there basement can do just as good as sony at making a EMU for the hardware but what I was talking about is Sony making the hardware better for the EMU.

To a large extent Sony is probably not really "making new hardware" either, as much as they're gluing together available IP blocks.

isn't the GS the part that's harder to Emulate? & the 43MP4 in the NGP is being customized by Sony & me not knowing how or in what way it's being customized have hope that it's being customized in a way that helps it emulate the PSP & also may help it emulate the PS2 being that PSP also has eDRAM , & we don't know how fast the 128MB of Vram is yet

if Sony knows what's needed for PS2 emulation what's stopping them from making it part of the customized GPU if they really want PS2 emulation

Yeah, the operative word being "attempt." No doubt someone could port PCSX2 to NGP if they had the ability to run software, but it'd run poorly, just like the port of nullDC to PSP. I figured when talking about BC we were talking about the kind where the game runs at the right speed.

yeah I know the PSP was no where near running the Dreamcast games at a playable speed but it shows that if you're not running a heavy OS & coding for different hardware setups you can code down to the wire & work with less power.

PSP /PS2 & Xbox have N64 & PS1 EMU's but try running these EMU's on a PC with the same specs as the consoles that can run these EMU's ( 32 / 64 MB of memory 294Mhz / & so on) maybe in linux if it was coded just for that PC but if not you're going to need a much higher spec pc so people looking at whats needed to emulate a PS2 on PC is off also

They could have PS2 as an SoC now, but even with a shrink all the way to 40nm it'd probably still take more die space than is worthwhile.

they don't need the whole PS2 so the SoC can be just the parts that's too hard to emulate

If they're going to rerelease games they can port them.

or they can make the NGP in a way that they only have to add a few lines of code to the games for them to be playable

It seems unlikely they changed the SGX that extensively to help with the emulation. If they were going to that they would be better off building a custom part rather then taking an existing design.

yeah I know the guys in there basement can do just as good as sony at making a EMU for the hardware but what I was talking about is Sony making the hardware better for the EMU.

You can't just bolt on some new features on the periphery of an SGX543 to make it deeply PS2 compatible. Changing the way TMUs work, for instance, would likely require a major rework of the part. IMG is probably willing to do it for enough money but at this point you start negating a lot of the benefit of using off the shelf IP.

And it wouldn't come for free in terms of die space either, especially since it'd probably have to be replicated to every core. A full on GS replication might make more sense.

isn't the GS the part that's harder to Emulate? & the 43MP4 in the NGP is being customized by Sony & me not knowing how or in what way it's being customized have hope that it's being customized in a way that helps it emulate the PSP & also may help it emulate the PS2 being that PSP also has eDRAM , & we don't know how fast the 128MB of Vram is yet if Sony knows what's needed for PS2 emulation what's stopping them from making it part of the customized GPU if they really want PS2 emulation

.. something that has any advantage in emulating PSP (which we have no indication NGP will have) doesn't give any advantage in emulating PS2, "they both have eDRAM" is not a meaningful connection. I thought I covered this well before. The speed of the VRAM is really not the limiting factor.

And IMO the GS isn't the harder part to emulate really, that is, if you want results that are better than PS2 compatibility on 80GB PS3s. It could have just been that including the GS was worth it financially while including the EE wasn't. But a PS3 is also far more equipped to emulate the EE than the NGP will be. From what I hear the Cortex-A9s won't even run at 1GHz.

You really have no reason to assume the "+" means "customized by Sony." All it means is "different", not that Sony is implementing anything personally. At this stage in the game it'd be weird to NOT announce PS2 backwards compatibility if it's really on the table.

yeah I know the PSP was no where near running the Dreamcast games at a playable speed but it shows that if you're not running a heavy OS & coding for different hardware setups you can code down to the wire & work with less power.

Nope, without any benchmarking it doesn't show anything.

PSP /PS2 & Xbox have N64 & PS1 EMU's but try running these EMU's on a PC with the same specs as the consoles that can run these EMU's ( 32 / 64 MB of memory 294Mhz / & so on) maybe in linux if it was coded just for that PC but if not you're going to need a much higher spec pc so people looking at whats needed to emulate a PS2 on PC is off also

You must not be familiar with the first set of PS1 and N64 emulators for PC, like Virtual Game Station and UltraHLE. In reality, the OS and game variation hurts you little when it comes to a lot of emulators, especially when the burden is on the raw CPU performance and not graphics/graphics drivers.

they don't need the whole PS2 so the SoC can be just the parts that's too hard to emulate

Making these partial-PS2s is very expensive in terms of design time. PS3 could have a GS by itself because they were already distinct chips, apart from that...

or they can make the NGP in a way that they only have to add a few lines of code to the games for them to be playable

A few lines? It's either going to be nothing or it's going to be considerable.

if Sony knows what's needed for PS2 emulation what's stopping them from making it part of the customized GPU if they really want PS2 emulation
A cost/benefit consideration. Wanting something doesn't mean it's practical to go get/do it. They may want PS2 BC, but the cost and complexity may make it futile. Just like PS3 - Sony wanted PS2 BC but they couldn't pull it off within their business (review the PS3 BC threads).

You're really not getting it! Down to the wire is meaningless when the 'wires' are so different. It's like PS2 speaks Hawaiian, NGP speaks English. Every time a PS2 game wants to do something, the NGP would have to look up its phrase book. No matter how faster you become at looking up a phrase book, you aren't going to be fluid at speaking a language, nor are you going to be able to deal with terms not in your phrase book. Unless NGP gets Hawaiian support built in, it'll never be able to transmute from one system to another fast enough to be a novelty. The lack of OS overhead only changes the emulation speed from dog slow to slow. Actually playing 30+ fps PS2 games won't happen.

(I'm reminded of the "PSP2 will be as powerful as PS3" opinions, and it didn't seem to matter how much people were told it's not possible, they still hoped!)

That wouldn't be BC emulation, but recoding. If you're going to rewrite games, the level of hardware emu can be less to support more software work. But then you're having to choose to convert a PS2 title to NGP or not, which somewhat defeats the point of easy ports, and means the library will just be what games get converted, and not every game.

Hey, how about off-the-shelf Dreamcast emulation?

Am I right to assume the SGX would be 100% compatible with all the CLX2 functions (and maybe adding higher-res and MSAA)?
How hard would it be for a Cortex A9 @ 1GHz emulate the SH-4 @ 200MHz? I'm assuming the Yamaha's DSP would be easily emulated through a second A9.
Sony could sell the Dreamcast library online at low prices, like they're doing now with PS1 titles for PSP.

Imagine playing Shenmue at 960*544 with 4xMSAA in a handheld :)

Am I right to assume the SGX would be 100% compatible with all the CLX2 functions (and maybe adding higher-res and MSAA)?
How hard would it be for a Cortex A9 @ 1GHz emulate the SH-4 @ 200MHz? I'm assuming the Yamaha's DSP would be easily emulated through a second A9.
Sony could sell the Dreamcast library online at low prices, like they're doing now with PS1 titles for PSP.

strangely I was told that couldn't be done also. but I'm going to keep hoping until the end lol

Provided by Sony, at launch?? I think Sega would avoid getting that closely into bed with any one of the console manufacturers.

It isn't 100% compatible. For one thing, CLX2 has order-independent-translucency, which has always been a problem for Dreamcast emulation. And I'm sure the low-level interface for both devices is very different. I don't really know the details of either, but from what I remember about CLX2 there seems like more of a manual aspect involved in feeding the binning engine and rasterization engine separately.

Well, it's a lot more realistic than PS2 emulation at least. Bear in mind, no one ever said NGP would be 1GHz.

The impression I got from drk||Raziel, the author of nullDC, is that 1GHz Cortex-A9 would be sufficient for emulating the SH4. You can see today their efforts on Android phones (up to 1GHz Cortex-A8), which isn't really anywhere close to full speed, but promising. One of the challenges is that the SH4 does single cycle dot-products, while Cortex-A9 NEON.. doesn't. It's not just that it has half the MAC throughput, but it's suitable for vertical (struct of arrays) while SH4's horizontal (array of structs). Trying to emulate it directly results in a lot of cycles, particularly due to latency involved. It might be possible to substantially reduce this in recompiled streams with extensive analysis, but it's not easy and not a given.

When releasing emulated titles one by one companies have a lot of leverage to cheat to improve performance and compatibility. You can do all sorts of things when you're working on a per-game basis, and I'm sure that Virtual Console games do this all the time.

I could see Sega doing this for NGP, but if they were interested in Dreamcast emulation I kind of wonder why they haven't tried it for Wii. I don't think it'll be that much easier on NGP.

The SH3707 MBX SoC included support for automatic translucency sorting, so seeing it on a post-Series2 PowerVR part is not without precedent.

NGP's rumored semiconductor partner, Renesas, was the maker of the SH3707 which was designed for the Aurora video game platform.

A collaboration with SEGA Sammy would be necessary regardless of any design forethought in the matter of Dreamcast compatibility, of course.

There will be some form of BC with the PSP, given PSP titles are gonna be released onto NGP "carts".

Sorry, hadn't heard this before. Apparently all the PSP games on PSN will be available for PSP, so it really will have to have full-on generic emulation and not just tailored per-game.

Not a total stretch, nothing like PS2 emulation, but a little surprising still. Seems like something is going to push the VFPU hard and in a way that's difficult to capture in emulation.

The SH3707 MBX SoC included support for automatic translucency sorting, so seeing it on a post-Series2 PowerVR part is not without precedent.

NGP's rumored semiconductor partner, Renesas, was the maker of the SH3707 which was designed for the Aurora video game platform.

A collaboration with SEGA Sammy would be necessary regardless of any design forethought in the matter of Dreamcast compatibility, of course.

It'd be a welcome return. It always seemed like a pretty big selling point and I'm surprised it didn't garner much attention.

Back