Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

Would be interesting to see if miles morales sold and made more money on ps4 or ps5. I know many folks who still have ps4 and keep buying games. Horizon&co will likely sell like hot cakes to ps4 audience + create good will for sony. How likely is happy ps4 owner to upgrade to ps5 versus competing solution, especially if the GoW, GT7, Horizon etc. just carry over as ps5 versions?
miles makes definitly more money on ps5 and its proof that talking about we can't leave 110mln base is bs

miles makes definitly more money on ps5 and its proof that talking about we can't leave 110mln base is bs

Do you have a source for this? Only sales number I know is miles morales sold about 4.1 million copies in bit over first month. I haven't seen split between ps4 and ps5. Would be interesting to see the source for this. Especially if source happens to be something official relating to sony quarterly financials(no lying to investors,...)

Screenshot_2021-06-02_at_20.24.28.png

It's a good data point but pretty limited. I don't believe we can come up with world wide sales by extrapolating from boxed uk sales. Lowering price could also change sales ratio. PS5 folks are starving for content. PS4 player will have easier time waiting for discounts. UK ps5 owners definitely seem to like miles morales.

A combination of retail discounting and new PS5 stock saw Spider-Man: Miles Morales return to the top of the UK boxed charts last week.

It is the second time the game has topped the charts this year. The game was reduced to as low as £30 (PS4 version) at retailers last week, and as a result there was a 175% increase in the PS5 version of the game and a 104% increase in the PS4 version.

Last edited:
It's a good data point but pretty limited. I don't believe we can come up with world wide sales by extrapolating from boxed uk sales. Lowering price could also change sales ratio. PS5 folks are starving for content. PS4 player will have easier time waiting for discounts. UK ps5 owners definitely seem to like miles morales.

yeah but generaly I see on myself that I bought much more games on my ps5 than I used in last years on my ps4, so its not that simple 110+ m base

yeah but generaly I see on myself that I bought much more games on my ps5 than I used in last years on my ps4, so its not that simple 110+ m base

I understand your point. Only subset of install base is still active/interested in specific games. Though I also have counter examples. My sister has my old ps4 and is going to keep playing and buying games for it until end of ps4. She has no interest in spending money to upgrade to ps5. We would need sony to tell us the sales. Extrapolating from small sample size is error prone.

I understand your point. Only subset of install base is still active/interested in specific games. Though I also have counter examples. My sister has my old ps4 and is going to keep playing and buying games for it until end of ps4. She has no interest in spending money to upgrade to ps5. We would need sony to tell us the sales. Extrapolating from small sample size is error prone.

She doesnt really have to upgrade to the PS5 either, PS4 will play most games available on PS5 anyway. Some are not all that intrested in a resolution/setting bump and faster loading times.

I'm not counting them out. But the Sony executives hands are plain to see now. Whether it holds true is a different discussion.

edit: let me rephrase here.

Sony chose to market their messaging as to benefit Sony. This late messaging about cross generation games, PS5, exclusively on PS5, all went to benefit Sony if they knew these were going to be cross gen.

When Phil Spencer was forward about cross gen titles for first 2 years, and basically all the new games would also be on Xbox One, it was in benefit for the gamers, not for Xbox.

If this somehow had an effect on demand, Sony no longer cares, they've reached their goals and are okay with spilling the beans. A narrative was set, people will continue buying playstation in their eyes.

Last edited:
She doesnt really have to upgrade to the PS5 either, PS4 will play most games available on PS5 anyway. Some are not all that intrested in a resolution/setting bump and faster loading times.

though that's all CP77 has to offer on PC over last gen consoles and you screamed true next gen leap :p

though that's all CP77 has to offer on PC over last gen consoles and you screamed true next gen leap :p

Nah, five different ray tracing features which totally lift the experience (DF's take), going from a stuttery mess to a fully streamed non load time world, atop of going from lower than low settings all the way to above Ultra. Not to forget 4k60 which seems kinda unheard of on PS5 so far.
CP2077 actually gives that true leap between the oldest platform to the next gen highest end. Hell, PS4 owners refunded the darn game for its performance lol.

Nah, five different ray tracing features which totally lift the experience (DF's take), going from a stuttery mess to a fully streamed non load time world, atop of going from lower than low settings all the way to above Ultra. Not to forget 4k60 which seems kinda unheard of on PS5 so far.
CP2077 actually gives that true leap between the oldest platform to the next gen highest end. Hell, PS4 owners refunded the darn game for its performance lol.
don't want to change subject but you have stable 4k 60 with all rt enabled in cyberpunk ? ;d sorry, I saw streames on rtx3080 with drops to 30fps without rt

No.

In CP77 case RT is a next gen cosmetic applied on last gen assets. So cross gen is a better definition.

Nah, its actually the other way around. The game is designed with pc in mind and then downscaled to fit on consoles. Hence the bad performance and graphics there. Go and watch DF's videos on the matter.

Man, I remember in one of the PS5 threads I mentioned that most of Sony's 1st party games were going to be cross generation for the first couple years and got absolutely blasted by someone saying that at most 2-3 Sony 1st party games would be cross generation. :p

This might just be a side effect of their push into PC and what appears to be Sony getting their big 1st party studios to get their rendering engines to be PC compatible (even if they don't release their latest games day and date on PC). Since scalability is going to be a thing anyway, then why not do the relatively minimal effort to extend that to PS4?

We have Naughty Dog's engine becoming PC compatible, we already have Guerilla Games Decima Engine made PC compatible, Bend Studio has put in work to ensure that their usage of UE will work on both PC and PS ... how long before we hear about God of War (2018), Santa Monica Studio engine, announced with PC support?

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I get the feeling not many even realize that this is basically the first time Sony has a fully compatible generation where creating games that scale well is basically as easy or even easier as creating a PC game that runs on a low end and a high end PC. Even Sony’s own studios may have not immediately realized how easy it would be to create titles that scale well. That was much harder on PS3 to PS4 and the generations before that changed so much you couldn’t even begin to consider it.

And I also don’t think there is much to complain about. Apart from at least four next-gen only titles in the first year (DS, Astrobot, Ratchet, Returnal), or even half a year basically, including one that actually came pre-installed, they also have cross platform exclusives. And games like Horizon: Zero Dawn don’t look like they had to compromise a tonne to support the PS5’s strengths, it will be more interesting to see what the PS4 version will be like to see where the real compromises have been made.

I get the feeling not many even realize that this is basically the first time Sony has a fully compatible generation where creating games that scale well is basically as easy or even easier as creating a PC game that runs on a low end and a high end PC. Even Sony’s own studios may have not immediately realized how easy it would be to create titles that scale well. That was much harder on PS3 to PS4 and the generations before that changed so much you couldn’t even begin to consider it.

And I also don’t think there is much to complain about. Apart from at least four next-gen only titles in the first year (DS, Astrobot, Ratchet, Returnal), or even half a year basically, including one that actually came pre-installed, they also have cross platform exclusives. And games like Horizon: Zero Dawn don’t look like they had to compromise a tonne to support the PS5’s strengths, it will be more interesting to see what the PS4 version will be like to see where the real compromises have been made.

The real question is how its handled. If i buy GT7 on my ps4 do I have to buy the PS5 version when I get the ps5 ? Will my ps5 just play the ps4 version an enhanced ps4 title ?

Back