Sony's content platform and business strategy *spawn

yet another example showing Sony is always too slow and too late,

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...oogle-io-hello-cloud-game-saves-apk-teardown/

Full PSN integration into PSM should had happen when PSM launched, and PSM should have launched with Vita or even before it.

Its a fair point to say that Sony needs to have a unified vision of how to deliver content but I think all the platform providers are struggling with rapid changes in technology and the bluring lines between different hardware platforms (phone vs tablet vs mobile game machine vs home console vs pc).

And I think generally speaking all the hardware and software publishers will have a tougher time as things move forward with higher development cost, decisions about which platforms to support, coming up with new creative innovative experiences versus investing in tried and true IPs.

What we know so far suggest that Sony is collaborating much more than ever before and MS has shown good ideas the last 2 rounds so I am hopeful that we'll see them both execute on business models which are profitable as well as entertaining/rewarding for the consumer. One thing is for sure we should have some better insight after the 21st.

Its a fair point to say that Sony needs to have a unified vision of how to deliver content but I think all the platform providers are struggling with rapid changes in technology and the bluring lines between different hardware platforms (phone vs tablet vs mobile game machine vs home console vs pc).

And I think generally speaking all the hardware and software publishers will have a tougher time as things move forward with higher development cost, decisions about which platforms to support, coming up with new creative innovative experiences versus investing in tried and true IPs.

What we know so far suggest that Sony is collaborating much more than ever before and MS has shown good ideas the last 2 rounds so I am hopeful that we'll see them both execute on business models which are profitable as well as entertaining/rewarding for the consumer. One thing is for sure we should have some better insight after the 21st.

True true... Great post temesgen ;-)

During the time frame of the Xbox One unveiling, Sony's stock rose by a huge 10%.

Thats funny.

Anyway, don't see why, neither console will fail, there's over 200 million current customers (Wii, PS3, 360) up for grabs, both could easily sell 100 million due to the WiiU failure.

Thats funny.

Anyway, don't see why, neither console will fail, there's over 200 million current customers (Wii, PS3, 360) up for grabs, both could easily sell 100 million due to the WiiU failure.

Nintendos marketshare is being eaten alive by ios and android. Some will be carry-over to sony/ms, but not entirely.

As for capabilities of sales, I think Sony has a winner on their hands. Other guys, I have serious doubts. As long as Sony can execute, they will walk away with this one.

Media awareness seems to be a key feature in Sony's next-gen blitz:

e6v9yg.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/336966836665057280

Pure stupid....

Money talks BS walks...

Reminds me of those BS Media Create surveys asking random idiots what gaming device or game they want...lol...winning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendos marketshare is being eaten alive by ios and android. Some will be carry-over to sony/ms, but not entirely.

As for capabilities of sales, I think Sony has a winner on their hands. Other guys, I have serious doubts. As long as Sony can execute, they will walk away with this one.

Sony should keep their plan simple and clear. Or they will face serious challenges because they don't have enough people to execute all their plans (from PS Mobile, Vita to PS4 and TV). They will need to reel some of their plans in. Find holes to position themselves. e.g., Use their Android knowhow to align with iOS since no other Android manufacturers would do that.

If they try to go into the OS business like Microsoft, they will likely suffer. Just focus on gaming and entertainment. The PS4 reveal is more for the technically inclined. They haven't really started marketing PS4 to the mainstream yet. So far, their Move and Wonderbook effort don't impress. ^_^ Xperia is nice but it will need to fight Samsung before Apple.

don't think they are trying to get into the OS business, they said Vita OS is designed to work on multi devices, but I don't really see it happening. maybe a Vita phone thats it. Yes Xperia brand is on the rise after the Z, especially in EU and Asia. Right now ppl have a new option for high end smart phones, can not wait to see the true One sony phone, the Honami, they better not screw this up and release it in JP only. They are giving free PSN credits for all the new Xperia purchase in EU, obviously they are doing something to promote their PSM on their phones. They said they were planning to ship 50 millions phones this fiscal year, if only a small fraction of them buy PSM stuffs, thats already a huge user base.

They need full control of an OS to power their devices. From that perspective, VitaOS and PS4 OS are important. The Vita OS is great as a milestone to craft their PS4 whatever-BSD OS.

What I meant was Sony should walk the extra mile to make their OS work seamlessly with other mainstream platforms.

dunno man, isnt that a little too late, with android being free and open source and now taken up the majority of the market share I think getting PSM out there is probably the wiser decision. The android stock OS is already features rich, they just need a trojan horse to sell stuffs to those ppl to make money. The main reason iOS is so successful and a major money printing machine for Apple is the apps store, not really the OS itself (which is god aweful IMO). Sony need exclusive and cool contents on PSM so ppl will start looking at their stores. PSM can be the go to game store for android like how steam is for windows.

Yes, fighting OS war is too late.

Sony don't seem to be fully behind PS Mobile though. Gaikai seems more well supported by corporate Sony.

Yes, fighting OS war is too late.

Sony don't seem to be fully behind PS Mobile though. Gaikai seems more well supported by corporate Sony.

there are a lot of miss opportunities the problem for android is the fragmentation, like PSM really could have been the steam for android with unify friend list, trophies, leader boards, cross game chat etc. Now that android is getting its own game center, I think that its too late. Why would ppl make a multiple accounts to get the same thing on the google play stores, when theres even more options on the play store. I can see Sony getting a few iOS exclusive apps, but so far they haven't been doing a great job at it. Making PS4 PSM certified might bring more devs interest though, especially when the DS4 always have a touch pad to begin with for all the touch control games.

Yes, they have a Music Unlimited app. A Gaikai client would be nice.

PSM Store will be rejected by Apple. It's better to focus on Gaikai and MU first.

Sony should keep their plan simple and clear. Or they will face serious challenges because they don't have enough people to execute all their plans (from PS Mobile, Vita to PS4 and TV). They will need to reel some of their plans in. Find holes to position themselves. e.g., Use their Android knowhow to align with iOS since no other Android manufacturers would do that.

If they try to go into the OS business like Microsoft, they will likely suffer. Just focus on gaming and entertainment. The PS4 reveal is more for the technically inclined. They haven't really started marketing PS4 to the mainstream yet. So far, their Move and Wonderbook effort don't impress. ^_^ Xperia is nice but it will need to fight Samsung before Apple.

Agreed on all counts.

Sony needs to double down on gaikai and psn.

Invest heavily into cloud servers which can also act as media streamers for netflix functionality and help offset the costs associated with building/expanding the gaikai datacenters.

ios v android: novel idea may be to be the first phone which supports dual boot right out of the gate with android and winphone os. Both preloaded with psn apps of course and their own browser (which they can then lease exclusive search rights to either google or ms).

WRT search at home via ps4, again exclusive search rights could either be leased, or partnered with ad revenue.

Bottom line, there is far too much money to be made for either
A) going half-ass
or
B) moving slowly

Both of which require capital which should not be hard to come by if they present a clear vision.

Drop the fragmentation. Don't battle on grounds which they are not likely to win. Invest heavily in what they can do well. Partner with other strong players with limited time intervals for those partnerships.

Bringing this back to B3D, they have a huge winner on their hands with PS4, now is the time to act on it and invest accordingly.

Double down.

Well... I don’t know about a huge winner. It’s the execution that counts. Too early to call. Show me the goods first.

Well... I don’t know about a huge winner. It’s the execution that counts. Too early to call. Show me the goods first.

I meant the hardware/platform.

It's too late for their competition to match.

So now it's simply a matter of execution.

Back