Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

However that in itself also shows the strength of PSVR's design, ergonomic and comfortable with little effort. And obviously its a radically different design intended not to put any pressure on the face (crown with a visor).

Yes agreed that does seem like a nice advantage. I wonder if it was a specific design choice to allow quick swapping of the headset on the assumption that PSVR will be passed around people in a social setting more often than the likely more solo use PC headsets.

Or just don't play in a bright room?

why not just grow a moustache and block that light bleed.

24_053111_l.jpg

Although with the downside for PSVR of light bleed due to a soft facial fit. Sone soft foam rubber around the mask area may fix that.

Yes, that's one of the downsides of the PSVR design.

Yes agreed that does seem like a nice advantage. I wonder if it was a specific design choice to allow quick swapping of the headset on the assumption that PSVR will be passed around people in a social setting more often than the likely more solo use PC headsets.

Good point. On reflection I'm sure that would have been one of the requirements, consoles vare inherently more social anyway (TV, living room), but especially once they started working on VR the Playroom.

It's the accumulation of designing HMD's for 20 years. Sony was competing with itself, that's why they ended up with the most comfortable headset. Competitors look at each other and went: "Oh you have a ski mask too? Well, good enough for me!" Once they realise who the true competitor is, the comfort in their headsets will increase. Even if PC lacks any social use for VR; they have to improve the design.

Yes, that's one of the downsides of the PSVR design.

I still don't understand the issue, I mean - I never watch TV in a bright room (well other than just daytime rubbish), everyone who has tested this thing has tested it in a non 'home playing a game' scenario. I suppose if it is an issue for 'you' then at least there are easy fixes or ways to minimise the effect.

The not making contact with your face is deliberate and to prevent excess sweat.
Of course, some people will prefer a sweaty face if it means all outside light is blocked

It's the accumulation of designing HMD's for 20 years. Sony was competing with itself, that's why they ended up with the most comfortable headset. Competitors look at each other and went: "Oh you have a ski mask too? Well, good enough for me!" Once they realise who the true competitor is, the comfort in their headsets will increase. Even if PC lacks any social use for VR; they have to improve the design.

No. There is tons of evidence out there that the RIft is extremely comfortable once fitted correctly. Granted, it takes some fiddling to get right - and that's not a good thing. But the consensus seems to be that once right, it's extremely comfortable. Vive, unfortunately doesn't sound as great.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-review-prologue-to-a-new-reality/#fit_and_comfort

Oculus says they designed the Rift for long-term comfort for lengthy sessions. And while in my experience they’ve achieve that goal, the unit can actually be quite uncomfortable if you aren’t very careful about tweaking the fit.
Manipulating them all into their correct positions takes some practice, but it’s worth the time to get it right because once you do, the Rift can be very comfortable indeed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4e316x/psa_loosen_the_straps_way_more_than_you_think_its/

See how everyone is saying how amazingly comfortable the CV1 is? That's because they've got their straps looser than those who say it's not that comfortable.

For the first few hours that I had my Rift, my straps were tight so the Rift hugged my face - causing a mark around that area for the next 10 minutes after taking it off. That felt right - but it could've been better.

I loosened all of the straps to readjust the fit on my face, and then put the Rift on, and completely forgot to tightened them.

Wow, there is a huge difference in comfort. Like instead of feeling like plastic touching my face, it feels like a pillow - all the pressure is at the back of my head - not the front. Slips on my head like a dream, and stays there for my entire play session.

32:50 onwards:

Now I really think it's time to stop propagating this fallacy of uncomfortable/unergonomic ski mask.

I thought for comfort anyway it was Psvr > Rift > Vive?

I'm actually assuming Rift and and PSVR are equally comfortable (although it will vary by user). However PSVR gets the nod because it's easier to make it comfortable in the first place and it's better for glasses users. The comparison to Rift is muddied because some people are wearing it correctly, while others aren't, so the reporting of it's comfort level is inconsistent while for PSVR it's much more consistent.

The only direct comparison that I've come across from what appears to be a reliable source that has spent a good amount of time with both is the following:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4bbrtg/insider_leak_readible_summary/

Q: 1. Your headset of choice?

2. Better optics?

3. Preffered FOV?

4. SDE difference between all 3?

5. Have you tried touch? Did you like it or found any things that annoyed you? (such as tracking problems).

6. How are the added headphones on the rift?

7. Ergonomics on which one are better?

8. What software seems better for the consumer?

A: 1) I like and dislike different things about all of them. No favourite.

2) Rift > Vive > PSVR

3) Vive > Rift > PSVR

4) Rift > PSVR > Vive

5) I'm not too experienced with Touch. We don't have a Touch in OUR office since our project doesn't utilize motion control but I had a couple of opportunities to try it out and was very happy with how well the tracking works. There were a couple of issues with finger recognition and rumor has it that's the reason why they delayed it.

6) IMO the most important difference between the three. The headphones provide an even target across all users for devs and add so much comfort.

7) The Rift and PSVR are equally comfortable IMO. Vive is a bit lacking in terms of ergonomics.

I'm actually assuming Rift and and PSVR are equally comfortable (although it will vary by user). However PSVR gets the nod because it's easier to make it comfortable in the first place and it's better for glasses users. The comparison to Rift is muddied because some people are wearing it correctly, while others aren't, so the reporting of it's comfort level is inconsistent while for PSVR it's much more consistent.

The only direct comparison that I've come across from what appears to be a reliable source that has spent a good amount of time with both is the following:

Yes, I suppose I oversimplified things - but essentially your main issue is that Rift isn't as uncomfortable as @Egmon83 keeps implying.

A few quotes from your link;

"Headset design - The Rift is actually quite fragile and the cloth material is prone to get really dirty. And there is a chance that the consumer version might actually be heavier than the 470g we all saw in the GIF a few weeks ago. They might have to add additional shielding to pass FCC regulations.

It does indeed weigh 470g but it's evenly distributed across the head. feels more comfortable and refined than the Vive but not quite like the PSVR for long sessions."

"Q: Do you mean the Rift doesn't press against your face with any noteworthy amount of force? From the sounds of it the display for the PSVR actually kind of hovers in front of your face and is only attached to the ring on your head. From what I've heard the Rift is very light and barely noticeable, but I can't imagine that headstrap would be able to hold the display a distance from your face without touching it the way PSVR seems to.

A: The Rift doesn't press against your face but it still touches it and applies a bit of weight on your cheekbones. It's great comfort wise but I can wear PSVR for longer without even noticing it."

And about the gap on PSVR...

"Q: Is there gap at the nose part on PSVR that lets light in more than the other 2 headsets?

A: Since PSVR doesn't touch your face for the most part there is more light leaking in than with the Rift and Vive. Not just at the nose but all around the eyebox It's not too bad IMO but you might want to play in a dark room if that's something you don't like."

"Keep in mind that I don't use a PSVR regularly and the unit at our office is not the current model"

Doesn't sound like this chap has used the latest PSVR mind

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I still don't understand the issue, I mean - I never watch TV in a bright room (well other than just daytime rubbish), everyone who has tested this thing has tested it in a non 'home playing a game' scenario. I suppose if it is an issue for 'you' then at least there are easy fixes or ways to minimise the effect.

Well I'm with you, I almost always play in a dim room and I've assumed that this wouldn't be a problem for me. But ambient light in the HMD is undoubtedly a downside; however given what Sony wanted to do probably an inevitable one.

Like all of the HMD makers they had to make engineering choices based on what they wanted to deliver to their customers.

Not reliable: he would never place the lens flare before real optics, so I discard the rest.
It's the same user that claimed DK2 didn't have screen door anymore, no?

Is that one person's subjective opinion important? There are so many much more detailed opinions from real people...

I don't like anonymous dev "leaks", I don't understand the motives. Biases and conflicts of interest abound.

Ben from RoadToVR is a very good source so far, for multiple reasons. I don't like the guys from Tested, they're horrible. Kyle from Ars is even worse. Anyway... it's the sum of all subjective opinions which is useful.

/rant

Back