Sony to explain everything about PS3 @ CES 2006

Well, it looks like that really is the case, since now, according to gamemag.ru, Sony has officially declared that at CES, CEO Howard Stringer will present a report containing all the information regarding the console. It's not quite a launch, because we'll have to wait some more before it is available on the market, but at least we'll know for sure what to expect from it.

Well looks like all the hardcore hardware guys here will get what they want.:smile:

So what are you guys expecting Howard Stringer to say about the console regarding the numbers?

http://www.playfuls.com/itnews_438_Sony_Announces_Official_Briefing_On_PS3_At_CES_2006.html

Seems rather dubious. gamemag.ru? I'd say others would have heard of this if Sony had made any such announcement.

The reasoning of that article seems iffy to me...
I've told you, in a previous article, that Sony was preparing something major for CES 2006, since it has bought a huge central space for its stand, probably something related to the company's next-gen console, the PS3.
This something major is more a full-on Sony marketting campaign for the entire company. From here : http://www.twice.com/article/CA6285743.html?text=sony+moving+to+main+show+floor+at+ces

...we get...

Mike Fasulo, chief marketing officer, said the objective of the 25,000-square-foot booth is “not only to collaborate across all of our divisions, but to show how consumer electronics is transforming consumer entertainment in the future.â€￾
This, plus the Jan. 5 opening keynote at 8:30 a.m. at the Las Vegas Hilton Theater by Sony chairman/CEO Sir Howard Stringer, makes it the biggest presence the company has had at the show in recent memory....
Fasulo noted that at the entrance of Sony's mammoth booth will be a 220-seat theater which will show short videos of Sony entertainment and technologies in 4K technology and 5.1 Dolby Surround.

The booth itself will feature what Fasulo called several “pillarsâ€￾ which involve all aspects of HDTV, from broadcasting and professional equipment, to branded HDTVs and Blu ray, to other consumer products. PlayStation will also have a featured place at the new CES booth, as well as what Sony calls “e-Entertainment,â€￾ the newest developments in cellular phones, Walkman, Vaio PCs and LocationFree TV, among others.
In depth PS3 disclosure amongst a glut of Sony products would just get lost in the noise. A PS3 showing for consumer electronics makes sense, on HDTV alongside new cinema techs etc, but a technical revealing seems more appropriate for a console show. The russian article doesn't mention a source either (going by Babelfish translation).

I think this is more a case of a gaming mag hearing about Stringer at CES and a large Sony showing, and forgetting that there's more to Sony than just PlayStation!

Shifty Geezer said:
The reasoning of that article seems iffy to me...
This something major is more a full-on Sony marketting campaign for the entire company. From here : http://www.twice.com/article/CA6285743.html?text=sony+moving+to+main+show+floor+at+ces

...we get...

In depth PS3 disclosure amongst a glut of Sony products would just get lost in the noise. A PS3 showing for consumer electronics makes sense, on HDTV alongside new cinema techs etc, but a technical revealing seems more appropriate for a console show. The russian article doesn't mention a source either (going by Babelfish translation).

I think this is more a case of a gaming mag hearing about Stringer at CES and a large Sony showing, and forgetting that there's more to Sony than just PlayStation!

I agree with what youve said here but are there any other console shows before E3? Wouldnt that be too late to 'reveal all' about a spring 2006 console? Unless the few additional tech details that need to be revealed dont even require a show of this or E3's magnitude.

not shure what they will be showing at CES. becuase it will probably get over shadowed by somthing Ipod-ish or attaches to a ipod LOL. probably talk more about the applications of cells in home appliances and electronics. talk about blue ray players. Then at the end, show a few tech demos and say that PS3 is on track and will be coming out sooner or later blahblah blah better then 360 blah blah blah the real HD starts with PS3 blah blah blah. and then gloss over other crap. pretty much the same story

expletive said:
I agree with what youve said here but are there any other console shows before E3? Wouldnt that be too late to 'reveal all' about a spring 2006 console?

There's a specific PS3 public show scheduled for Feb in Japan.

expletive said:
Unless the few additional tech details that need to be revealed dont even require a show of this or E3's magnitude.

There's much more than tech details to talk about and show..

AW0L said:
not shure what they will be showing at CES. becuase it will probably get over shadowed by somthing Ipod-ish or attaches to a ipod LOL. probably talk more about the applications of cells in home appliances and electronics. talk about blue ray players. Then at the end, show a few tech demos and say that PS3 is on track and will be coming out sooner or later blahblah blah better then 360 blah blah blah the real HD starts with PS3 blah blah blah. and then gloss over other crap. pretty much the same story

I realy don't think that will happen,i think they will show much more than just a tech demo,and i also think that they will reveal online plans and alot of other stuff,just to stop the 360 on his tracks.

I agree that they need to show alot more extensive ingame demo's. Specially if they want to realeas this console in march.

i think this show is going to be more about the hardware and addons. I'm hoping they discuss the HDD, Linux, headset, eye toy 2, blu-ray and online. They could really push the concept that the PS3 is much more than a gaming system and compare it to computers, dvd and media devices.

They might also introduce new tv's(1080p) and try to show how the PS3 and Blu-ray devices will go hand in hand with these new tv's.

They better show something.

The games will probably come in Feb., March and May.

I expect him to show us all this great stuff for the PS3, and then the bubble will be deflated when we see the price point at E3.

Well, the console is supposedly going to be going on sale in Japan before E3, so if bubble's are going to be deflated due to price, it would have to be sooner than that.

Frankly, CES is a *much* better forum for price announcement than is E3.

I'd expect price info before in-depth tech info as far as CES and PS3 are concerned.

what i hope for

-launch date(s), price, and which region(s)
-titles to appear around launch
-many demo's + trailers visually stating "real time" so people wont get into a fuss this time around
-tech details + specs (cell/rsx, blu-ray)
-accessories (eyetoy, remote, updated controller, mouse + keyboard support?)
-online plan?
-developer Q&A?

They arent purchasing the biggest stage for no reason, I have a feeling we will get major details, but im also betting we wont get everything I listed. Me just being hopeful :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
They arent purchasing the biggest stage for no reason
Sony haven't been doing too well in their key areas. With a change of CEO and his vocal talk of integrating the company more closely, it strikes me as far more likely the biggest stage is a sort of relaunch of the Sony brand-name more than a focus on any one product. If you want the world to know you've got the broadest and best range of consumer electronics, spanning content creation, publication, and hardware to experience the content on, a huge centre-court showing at CES is probably the best place. If you just want to tell the world about your new console/media device, and the games and technology behind it, and it's different features for online and content, centre CES that's covering all consumer electronics is putting money where it won't be most useful. IMO the majority of people at CES looking at HDTVs and HD movies and hifi technology and digital cameras etc. aren't going to be interested to hear PS3's online gaming services or how many MHz it's GPU runs at. Whereas they will be interested to see a range of HDTVs from Sony, showing Sony films filmed on Sony cameras and playing on Sony's BluRay format, and Sony cameras recording pictures onto Sony memorysticks shown directly on Sony TVs and PSP, and HD games and movies playable on PS3. The biggest stage is there to show the full range of Sonyness and surely not to gain attraction for any single product.

Though it is possible a big fuss is made of PS3 as Sony attempt to steal the eyes and ears of everyone at CES with every fancy product they can wield, the likelihood of any technical details seem vanishingly small IMO.

You have a point, like i said i was just being hopeful :p
I guess we will see in a few weeks how it pans out.

It would be cool if they gave consumers a great price point in these new high tech HDTV'S, sound systems, HD movies, and PS3.

"go future without going broke!"

Back