Sony PS3 Q+A (Leaked)

Sis said:
A price drop after 6 months would be unrealistic, especially back to back price drops. I wouldn't expect one until 2008, if past Sony history is any indication.

I've compared it to the only relevant precedent, which is the PS2's European launch. That was the only launch which was at a comparable price-point, after all. And we got our first price cut after 6 months.

Hmm... may be I'm not getting it. What's bad about being an Amiga ? I remember owning a Mac and was rather envious at my friend's cheap Amiga. It had better technologies than what's out there at that time.

Back to PS3, is it far fetched to call it a computer given that a HD-DVD player has been referred to as a "PC inside" by third party reviewers ? The same PS3 that can browse the web, play music, games, HD movies, store my personal files (under multiple user profiles) without any PC assistance. The same machine that can take in PC storage devices and communicate with them using mainstream network protocols. In fact, it has more computing power than the 2 outdated but trustworthy tower PCs at my feet right now. Both of them are running Linux.

PS3's Linux OS is an extra to many people. Not many consumers will hack into it like us. Nevertheless I'm sure it will at least be on par with PS 2 Linux given the hardware advancement and more platform/software support this time.

PS3 *is* a computer in more ways than one. I can say it without blinking my eyes. :)
My only point is: I doubt Sony will market/sell PS3 as a general purpose PC replacement (It is soooo 1990s !). This is where it can learn from Amiga. I'm sure Sony knows better.

patsu said:
Hmm... may be I'm not getting it. What's bad about being an Amiga ?

The Amiga failed horribly in the marketplace and destroyed it's manufacturer financially.

Back to PS3, is it far fetched to call it a computer given that a HD-DVD player has been referred to as a "PC inside" by third party reviewers ? The same PS3 that can browse the web, play music, games, HD movies, store my personal files (under multiple user profiles) without any PC assistance. The same machine that can take in PC storage devices and communicate with them using mainstream network protocols. In fact, it has more computing power than the 2 outdated but trustworthy tower PCs at my feet right now. Both of them are running Linux.

PS3's Linux OS is an extra to many people. Not many consumers will hack into it like us. Nevertheless I'm sure it will at least be on par with PS 2 Linux given the hardware advancement and more platform/software support this time.

PS3 *is* a computer in more ways than one. I can say it without blinking my eyes.
My only point is: I doubt Sony will market/sell PS3 as a general purpose PC replacement (It is soooo 1990s !). This is where it can learn from Amiga. I'm sure Sony knows better.

A pocket calculator is a computer. Your cellphone is a computer. My microwave oven is a computer.

But that doesn't mean that trying to market one as some sort of PC replacement is justified.

The PS3 IS a game console, and any insinuation of it being anything other than a game console is purely marketing speak in a failed attempt to justify the ridiculously high price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powderkeg said:
The PS3 IS a game console, and any insinuation of it being anything other than a game console is purely marketing speak in a failed attempt to justify the ridiculously high price.

Arrgh!

No it's not.

Geez, I would have thought at least somebody would have read what I had written and understood what I meant. I don't know why I need to say things fifteen times and then require a third-party translator to come on here and clarify for everybody, but apparently I do. So mark this as the second time that I will say this:

PS3 is not a game console, and Sony refusing to call it as such is not merely marketing in order to justify it's ridiculously high price.

What was it that tobacco manufacturers called cigarettes? 'Nicotine delivery systems' or some BS like that? Why? Because the purpose of cigarettes wasn't to allow people to enjoy the flavor of tobacco, it was to deliver an addictive substance to their consumer to produce future sales.

The PS3 isn't a gaming console. It's a Cell and BR delivery system. Just like they hope that the BR in the PS3 will deliver the format to market and help establish itself, they are hoping that some percentage (small, certainly.. at first), will actually develop programs (other than games) on the PS3 and become familiar with the Cell tech. So that the Cell will become a viable CPU for homes and businesses in the same manner than AMD and Intel products currently are.

All their talk leads to this conclusion. People went nutzo with the comments that the PS3 would be available in the future with more ram, etc.. And everybody was so single minded that they thought this meant that the gaming aspect of the console would suddenly change. Not the case. The reason why Sony would offer the PS3 in the future with 512 XDR is so that people who are using it as a computer have the ability to purchase a version they can do more with.

Instead we get discussions about 'how could they offer a more powerful console in the future and screw their current customers' or 'well they didn't mean PC when they said 'computer', etc.

They meant exactly what they said. They're hoping that by presenting the PS3 as a computer, some minority will see it as such and then spend the time to become familiar with Cell and 'unlock its potential' so they can continue to sell Cell technology 10 years from now, in a space completely different than the gaming market.

Powderkeg said:
The Amiga failed horribly in the marketplace and destroyed it's manufacturer financially.
The manufacturer did anything possible to destroy itself, the Amiga was the only thing keeping it alive for years - selling Millions while having zero marketing. In the US they pissed of Resellers and had next to no shops selling Amigas, in Japan they missed an opporturnity to team up with another Company to sell their Systems, Sun wanted to sell Unix-Amigas - they didnt managed to finish the contract out of stupidity. If you can stand reading a intense amount of stoopid decisions ro make a grown man cry, theres a nice book for details.
A pocket calculator is a computer. Your cellphone is a computer. My microwave oven is a computer.

But that doesn't mean that trying to market one as some sort of PC replacement is justified.

Who said PC-Replacement?
Augmented PC-Features surely have their value, and it opens up alot of possibilities. In fact alot people DONT really need a PC. That marketing will be the first to evangelize it is a surprise to you?

Arwin said:
I've compared it to the only relevant precedent, which is the PS2's European launch. That was the only launch which was at a comparable price-point, after all. And we got our first price cut after 6 months.
Right, and I posted that the PS2 did get a price cut before 12 months in the UK (at the 10 month mark). Did all of Europe launch at the same time?

Regardless, I hesitate extrapolating anything from the European launch, just because it happened months after the initial launch in Japan. So, as one pointed out in a previous post, it's possible that cost savings were seen in that timespan between the Japan launch (March 2000) and the UK price cut (September 2001).

Powderkeg said:

Based on my brief experiences with Amiga, the failure does not necessarily mean that Amiga is a bad machine. It might mean Commodore made some bad business decisions while marketing Amiga. :)

Powerderkeg said:

Ok so, PS3 is a computer (equal or more powerful than my own PCs, I might add).

Now, when and where did Sony say they will market/sell PS3 as a PC replacement ? Are people too quick to jump to conclusions ? The Q&A sheet is meant for internal consumption to align their communications. It is not a sales kit nor a go-to-market strategy paper, not to mention the Q&A leak may be fake in the first place.

Powerderkeg said:

I don't think the Q&A sheet has conflicting messages than you. It is saying PS3 is a computer which is designed for playing Playstation games, Blu-ray movies, and performing other PC-like functions in its current configurations.

If you as a consumer understood that as a game console, then that's fine. For many people including myself, PS3 seems capable of more and we believe we can derive more utility out of these other functions.

I don't know. How is this "marketing speak" ? Which of these non-game functions are fake (as in not working) ? Do we know as a fact yet ?

The real marketing plan for PS3 is not revealed at this moment. Sony execs have mentioned in a few occassions that the consumers' focus will be on the games. So naturally, it will be a big part of the marketing plan. However this does not mean that it will be the only part.

If you feel that PS3 is unfairly priced (even after the content bundle), then perhaps you will delay your purchase (or not buy). However there is currently no grounds to accuse Sony of lying (whatever that means). PS3 is a computer. It can do more things than just playing Playstation games *without the help of a separate computer* (because it is one).

Remember, the Q&A sheet -- if authentic -- is an internal document to clarify communications to begin with. I find it more informative w.r.t. Sony's directions and goals than the official PS3 website.

Why stop Sony from dreaming and laying a possible future for gamers ? If they guess right, prices will fall and you get to do more with your PS3 should you buy one. If they guess wrong, we are back to low-cost game consoles. What's the problem with this picture ?

EDIT:

Ok, RancidLunchMeat said it in a different way: Assuming the Q&A sheet is true, "They meant exactly what they said. They're hoping that by presenting the PS3 as a computer, some minority will see it as such and then spend the time to become familiar with Cell and 'unlock its potential' so they can continue to sell Cell technology 10 years from now, in a space completely different than the gaming market.".

But still, this does not mean that Sony will market/sell PS3 as a PC replacement.

And Npl confirmed Amiga's downfall is caused by bad business decisions.

patsu said:
Based on my brief experiences with Amiga, the failure does not necessarily mean that Amiga is a bad machine. It might mean Commodore made some bad business decisions while marketing Amiga. :)

It means from both a business and consumer aspect it was a failed product. Your own opinion may be different, but I can assure you there are some who think the Ford Edsel was a brilliant machine as well.

Ok so, PS3 is a computer (equal or more powerful than my own PCs, I might add).

Now, when and where did Sony say they will market/sell PS3 as a PC replacement ? Are people too quick to jump to conclusions ?

Are you serious?

When have they ever said the PS3 was a game console?

I don't think the Q&A sheet has conflicting messages than you. It is saying PS3 is a computer which is designed for playing Playstation games, Blu-ray movies, and performing other PC-like functions in its current configurations.

If you as a consumer understood that as a game console, then that's fine. For many people including myself, PS3 seems capable of more and we believe we can derive more utility out of these other functions.

I don't know. How is this "marketing speak" ? Which of these non-game functions are fake (as in not working) ? Do we know as a fact yet ?

It becomes "marketing speak" the moment you realize that this message is what is intended to be sent to the general public, and not just a small group of computer geeks who might actually use a game console for more than playing games and maybe watching an occasional movie.

As this is the message intended to be sent to everyone, your own personal feelings are irrelevent, and you have to look at the overall market. The overall market sees it as a game console, and a subset of that market sees it as a game console that can play movies, and Sony is trying to generate interest in a new set of features that aren't normally a part of game consoles in order to justify a price tag that is well beyond what people expect from game consoles.

You may see that value as worth it, which proves nothing more that there is a group that the above marketing speak works on.

The real marketing plan for PS3 is not revealed at this moment. Sony execs have mentioned in a few occassions that the consumers' focus will be on the games. So naturally, it will be a big part of the marketing plan. However this does not mean that it will be the only part.

If you feel that PS3 is unfairly priced (even after the content bundle), then perhaps you will delay your purchase (or not buy). However there is currently no grounds to accuse Sony of lying (whatever that means). PS3 is a computer. It can do more things than just playing Playstation games *without the help of a separate computer* (because it is one).

I've never accused Sony of lying, even when it was obvious they were doing so. In this case I am accusing them of using marketing speak, which is a twisting or shaping of the truth, not lies. If you lie in your marketing you can get sued, but you can twist the truth as much as possible without lying in order to make your product look like the best thing since sliced bread. In fact, that's the whole goal of marketing.

PowderKeg said:
It means from both a business and consumer aspect it was a failed product.
A500 series was a success from both bussiness and consumer aspect. Whether manufacturer decided to destroy the brand with later products doesn't change that.

Unless this is some world where one product failing means no product in the same brand ever succeeded (hence Windows is a failed product).

Computer

Powderkeg said:

What feature do you feel PS3 must have for PS3 to have computer title?

Also,

What do you feel is correct price for "machine" (maybe computer maybe not) with 3.2 Ghz 8 core CPU, 256 XDR, 256MB GPU, Double-layer Blu-ray, 60GB HDD, Wifi, Blue-Tooth, USB, HDMI, ethernet and media center OS.

Fafalada said:
A500 series was a success from both bussiness and consumer aspect. Whether manufacturer decided to destroy the brand with later products doesn't change that.

Unless this is some world where one product failing means no product in the same brand ever succeeded (hence Windows is a failed product).

The A500 was a "success" only in that it outsold the Atari ST, but total global sales of only 2.5 million systems is hardly what I would call a "success" when compared to the number of Apple IIe's that were selling at the time, or if you want to compare it to console sales I believe Nintendo was around 72 million with the NES by then.

Powderkeg said:
It means from both a business and consumer aspect it was a failed product. Your own opinion may be different, but I can assure you there are some who think the Ford Edsel was a brilliant machine as well.

... and I repeat "the failure does not necessarily mean that Amiga is a bad machine". I remember BYTE magazine rated it highly. My friends who owned Amiga all loved it. And now forum posters seem to love it too (This is my general experiences talking to ex-Amiga owners too).

Powderkeg said:
Are you serious?

When have they ever said the PS3 was a game console?

But the original article you linked to was an industry interview in Japan (!). This is different from a marketing plan, a sales kit, or a promotion where the actual marketing/selling activities are based on.

I don't think Ken's job there is to sell PS3. He may be invited to talk about his opinion, PS3 visions, technologies and other behind-the-scene goodness. I fear you may have read too much into his intention. It's like quoting Steve Jobs in "D: All Things Digital" saying video-on-demand won't take off (and yet video is part of iTunes Music Store offering), or Scott McNealy shooting Bill Gates, etc. etc. The game industry media tend to play off these interviews like tabloids, and the forums color them up.

For the actual selling/marketing exercise (the beginning of which since it's not even on sale yet), you should check out:
http://eu.playstation.com/ps3/
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/default.html

I am sure you can find the words "game console", "game", "console", "Playstation" mentioned there. "Computer" should never be mentioned since it would confuse the "Playstation" brand... *unless* there are actual mainstream computer applications on PS3 that beat Windows and Mac offerings.

Powderkeg said:
It becomes "marketing speak" the moment you realize that this message is what is intended to be sent to the general public, and not just a small group of computer geeks who might actually use a game console for more than playing games and maybe watching an occasional movie.

As this is the message intended to be sent to everyone, your own personal feelings are irrelevent, and you have to look at the overall market. The overall market sees it as a game console, and a subset of that market sees it as a game console that can play movies, and Sony is trying to generate interest in a new set of features that aren't normally a part of game consoles in order to justify a price tag that is well beyond what people expect from game consoles.

You may see that value as worth it, which proves nothing more that there is a group that the above marketing speak works on.

See above. You got it backwards. The interviews are indeed for the geeks and industry players. The mainstream market (i.e., everyone else) is not even seated yet. It does not make sense to market/sell PS3 when they don't even have the inventory today. What's more, they still want to let PS2 run its remaining life. Wait for the real PS3 campaign near launch if you really want to know how Sony (intend to) market/sell PS3 to everyone. I'm sorry to say what you saw/provided so far is not it.

Powderkeg said:
I've never accused Sony of lying, even when it was obvious they were doing so. In this case I am accusing them of using marketing speak, which is a twisting or shaping of the truth, not lies. If you lie in your marketing you can get sued, but you can twist the truth as much as possible without lying in order to make your product look like the best thing since sliced bread. In fact, that's the whole goal of marketing.

No. That's bad marketing, marcomms (marketing communications) and PR that has flooded most people's attention. Remember Microsoft's "Ring of Light" campaign ?

Real marketing works because it's very close to common sense but in a lateral sort of way. Apple, Logitech and sometimes Sony (when it's not fumbling) are all old hands at this. We should give them credit.

Nice I have to give sony credit they are doing thier best to turn lemons into lemonaid. I love how they are trying to use basic PC functions to justify an over inflated price. I can not see spending that much time wasting a 600 dollar video game machine doing my office work at home. That is what the PCs around the house are for. I just don't see the kids being kind enough to let me do office work on the PS3 when they just got MGS4 or any other new AAA title. Sure in a pinch it might be nice to check my e-mail with but that will not help sell me the machine.

Lets be honest this is the first time in a decade sony has been on the defensive it is good to see. The second the tech demos and 75 million polys per second were anounced it was over for the dreamcast and gamecube. The PS2 hype machine built from e3 and snowballed till launch. This time around the hype for the PS3 is not even in the same universe as the PS2 hype. I don't think hyping the machine's non video game stuff is going to help sony in the least. They should of just ate the money launched at 399 and 499 and crush the 360 intead they gave nintendo and MS an opening.

ihamoitc2005 said:
What feature do you feel PS3 must have for PS3 to have computer title?

In order to be considered a computer and not a game console, it must not fit into the definition of a game console.

Main Entry: game console
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: an electronic device for playing video games, usu. requiring connection to a television; also written games console

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/game console

In otherwords it's primary function must not be video game related.

Also,

What do you feel is correct price for "machine" (maybe computer maybe not) with 3.2 Ghz 8 core CPU, 256 XDR, 256MB GPU, Double-layer Blu-ray, 60GB HDD, Wifi, Blue-Tooth, USB, HDMI, ethernet and media center OS.

That depends on what it's used for.

If my only use for it is a game console, and maybe watch an occasional DVD movie then it's worth no more than the Xbox 360.

If I wanted to use it as some stripped down PC then it would depend on how it's overall functionality compared to a PC. After all, if there are things that I want and the PC will do, but the PS3 won't then I'll have to own a PC either way, but if I already own the PC then why buy the PS3 to do the same things, just fewer of them?

For a small group of people who want to dive right into the next-gen movie format war, want a stripped down PC with limited functionality, and wanted a game console all rolled into one, I would probably say the price is good. But that's got to be a very limited portion of the overall market, wouldn't you agree?

quest55720 said:
Nice I have to give sony credit they are doing thier best to turn lemons into lemonaid. I love how they are trying to use basic PC functions to justify an over inflated price. I can not see spending that much time wasting a 600 dollar video game machine doing my office work at home. That is what the PCs around the house are for. I just don't see the kids being kind enough to let me do office work on the PS3 when they just got MGS4 or any other new AAA title. Sure in a pinch it might be nice to check my e-mail with but that will not help sell me the machine.

True enough, which is why it doesn't make sense to expect Sony to market PS3 as a general purpose computer unless there are compelling reasons to do so.

Also for your example, don't you think that the "PS3 computer" would be for your kids to use (rather than you). So there's no MGS conflict ? since they probably can't play MGS and do their math on PS3 at the same time. You have your own computer right ? If your kids are like mine, that PS3 will keep their hands off my laptop.

Seriously, for a company who refuses to charge for "online game services you get for free on PCs", I find it hard to believe that they will use basic PC functions to justify an over-inflated price. You get what you pay for, plus the potential (which Howard Stringer acknowledged). You have to pay for the Hard disk, Blu-ray player, Cell, RSX, HDMI and other hardware features.

Why are people so anxious to put down Sony ?

quest55720 said:
I can not see spending that much time wasting a 600 dollar video game machine doing my office work at home.

Only some PC is for officework my friend. :)

http://alienware.com/

See this one:

http://alienware.com/product_detail...SysCode=PC-AREA51-3550-R1&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

The second the tech demos and 75 million polys per second were anounced it was over for the dreamcast and gamecube.

Dreamcast is very poor hardware power no? And it cannot have game like God of War, GT4, Rogue Leader, Halo, etc. It is not last gen but between last gen and gen before that.

Gamecube problem is bad Nintendo marketing. Sony is smart and knows that big console sales is for teen and adult but Nintendo thinks like old days and thinks console is only for small children. So they make little purple console with little disc and not too much buttons and Sony makes big black console with very serious looks and free DVD player. Nintendo then thinks, ok, we make mistake and sell wrong image so then let us make console cheap and so people will buy. But this is another mistake. People do not buy because it is cheap but because of image and Nintendo already has wrong image.

Xbox comes after Gamecube and PS2 and which one do you think they copy? Big black box with serious look or cute purple nintendo with no DVD and not so much buttons? PS2 no? So now they have much more sales than Nintendo.

Good example is iPod. People can buy 6GB other brand for ~$150 or 1GB ipod for ~$150. Which do you think people buy much more?

patsu said:
True enough, which is why it doesn't make sense to expect Sony to market PS3 as a general purpose computer unless there are compelling reasons to do so.

Also for your example, don't you think that the "PS3 computer" would be for your kids to use (rather than you). So there's no MGS conflict ? since they probably can't play MGS and do their math on PS3 at the same time. You have your own computer right ? If your kids are like mine, that PS3 will keep their hands off my laptop.

Seriously, for a company who refuses to charge for "online game services you get for free on PCs", I find it hard to believe that they will use basic PC functions to justify an over-inflated price. You get what you pay for, plus the potential (which Howard Stringer acknowledged). You have to pay for the Hard disk, Blu-ray player, Cell, RSX, HDMI and other hardware features.

Why are people so anxious to put down Sony ?

Sony brought it on themselves by doubling the price in 1 generation. If the pricing was the same as the 360 people would have no problems against sony. The 360 followed traditional pricing. You can by a system with a controler for 299 dollars or you can buy a bundle package for more. I also think some people bought into 2005 E3 killzone demo and expected every PS3 game to look like that or better. Sony is the one who screemed at E3 2005 1080P is HD and E3 2006 most of the games were 720p or 1080i. When you over promise and under deliver people get mad. Sony has screwed up left and right with the PS3 they will probably win but they left themselves open to losing.

Price

quest55720 said:
Sony brought it on themselves by doubling the price in 1 generation. If the pricing was the same as the 360 people would have no problems against sony. The 360 followed traditional pricing. You can by a system with a controler for 299 dollars or you can buy a bundle package for more. I also think some people bought into 2005 E3 killzone demo and expected every PS3 game to look like that or better. Sony is the one who screemed at E3 2005 1080P is HD and E3 2006 most of the games were 720p or 1080i. When you over promise and under deliver people get mad. Sony has screwed up left and right with the PS3 they will probably win but they left themselves open to losing.

I think only company that has not made too much promises is Nintendo. But also I think that is because Nintendo market is different. Teen and adult market which is for Sony and Microsoft is hype market and many (not everyone in this market) will buy things to show off or to say they have number one item.

Xbox360 price for release period is too small, correct price is >$500. But they do this cheap price so that they do not have to have price cut before PS3. Having price cut has image of cheap product. This is why no one buys GameCube which is very good system.

ihamoitc2005 said:
Only some PC is for officework my friend. :)

http://alienware.com/

See this one:

http://alienware.com/product_detail...SysCode=PC-AREA51-3550-R1&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Dreamcast is very poor hardware power no? And it cannot have game like God of War, GT4, Rogue Leader, Halo, etc. It is not last gen but between last gen and gen before that.

Gamecube problem is bad Nintendo marketing. Sony is smart and knows that big console sales is for teen and adult but Nintendo thinks like old days and thinks console is only for small children. So they make little purple console with little disc and not too much buttons and Sony makes big black console with very serious looks and free DVD player. Nintendo then thinks, ok, we make mistake and sell wrong image so then let us make console cheap and so people will buy. But this is another mistake. People do not buy because it is cheap but because of image and Nintendo already has wrong image.

Xbox comes after Gamecube and PS2 and which one do you think they copy? Big black box with serious look or cute purple nintendo with no DVD and not so much buttons? PS2 no? So now they have much more sales than Nintendo.

Good example is iPod. People can buy 6GB other brand for ~$150 or 1GB ipod for ~$150. Which do you think people buy much more?

It did not matter what nintendo did the PS2 hype was just to great. I still remember my friends talking about how the PS2 was over 10x more powerful than the DC and 4x more powerfull than the gamecube. Hell rogue squad crushed every game out on the market when the gamecube launched but that was not enough to convince people the "piddly " 10-15 million polys per second of the gamecube could compete with 75 million polys of the PS2. Sony did the PS2 perfect and with the PS3 they are doing everything in thier power to screw it up. The same friends who bought into the PS2 hype are pissed at sony after e3 they expected the PS3 titles to destroy the 360 titles but that did happen.

Hype

quest55720 said:
It did not matter what nintendo did the PS2 hype was just to great. I still remember my friends talking about how the PS2 was over 10x more powerful than the DC and 4x more powerfull than the gamecube.

This is customer interpretaion no? I do not think Sony said these words.

Hell rogue squad crushed every game out on the market when the gamecube launched

I feel it is very very amazing old gen graphics. Real time self-shadow, bump-map, reflection, amazing effects, too much action, super polygon number, etc. Amazing for me!

but that was not enough to convince people the "piddly " 10-15 million polys per second of the gamecube could compete with 75 million polys of the PS2.

This is same Nintendo marketing fault my friend.

Sony gave correct fact information and peak information which is correct data type for what PS2 market (teen and adult) likes. Sony feels console market is like car and PC market and always for cars and PC we only get peak information. Look at GPU box at Target or Walmart or horsepower information for cars. They do not say "in-game" "real world" type information or "normal use" horsepower but peak only. Nintendo made this very big mistake and gave wrong type of information for this market.

Teen and adult market likes peak specs. Microsoft made not only peak information but also exaggeration like 4 giga-pixel fill-rate for old Xbox! This is same as peak of Xbox360! But they made design mistakes like Xbox is too big, and look is not correct and also it has only few games. Also it is too late. Also Microsoft made DVD use only with extra purchase remote so real price of Xbox for games and movie is console + remote price. So sales are not like PS2 but better than Gamecube.

Back