Sony PS3 Q+A (Leaked)

ihamoitc2005 said:
This is customer interpretaion no? I do not think Sony said these words.

I feel it is very very amazing old gen graphics. Real time self-shadow, bump-map, reflection, amazing effects, too much action, super polygon number, etc. Amazing for me!

This is same Nintendo marketing fault my friend.

Sony gave correct fact information and peak information which is correct data type for what PS2 market (teen and adult) likes. Sony feels console market is like car and PC market and always for cars and PC we only get peak information. Look at GPU box at Target or Walmart or horsepower information for cars. They do not say "in-game" "real world" type information or "normal use" horsepower but peak only. Nintendo made this very big mistake and gave wrong type of information for this market.

Teen and adult market likes peak specs. Microsoft made not only peak information but also exaggeration like 4 giga-pixel fill-rate for old Xbox! This is same as peak of Xbox360! But they made design mistakes like Xbox is too big, and look is not correct and also it has only few games. Also it is too late. Also Microsoft made DVD use only with extra purchase remote so real price of Xbox for games and movie is console + remote price. So sales are not like PS2 but better than Gamecube.

Sony did the pefect job hyping the PS2 they won because of it. IF the PS3 wins it will be dispite sony screwing up left and right. Sony is just lucky they are in such a strong position after last generation were they can drop the ball completely and still most likely win.

quest55720 said:
Sony brought it on themselves by doubling the price in 1 generation. If the pricing was the same as the 360 people would have no problems against sony. The 360 followed traditional pricing. You can by a system with a controler for 299 dollars or you can buy a bundle package for more. I also think some people bought into 2005 E3 killzone demo and expected every PS3 game to look like that or better. Sony is the one who screemed at E3 2005 1080P is HD and E3 2006 most of the games were 720p or 1080i. When you over promise and under deliver people get mad. Sony has screwed up left and right with the PS3 they will probably win but they left themselves open to losing.

Heh heh. Indeed... US$499 for a non-HDMI version is too much to swallow. Hey Sony, ya hear that ? How about cutting us some slacks, or telling us the full story now ? :p
Personally, I'm happy that Sony continues to innovate. I prefer changes to challenge existing thinking, as opposed to hanging on to existing practices like the (once) stagnated music industry. As you said, Sony left themselves open to losing now, so they may be punished in due time. Just relax and enjoy the show, or vote with your money in 4 month's time.

As for the Killzone trailer, they had to show game trailers during that E3 since PS3 is not ready yet. I think Sony didn't know it would be a hit like that too (I certainly didn't expect that magnitude of reaction). But I see what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
ihamoitc2005 said:
I think only company that has not made too much promises is Nintendo. But also I think that is because Nintendo market is different. Teen and adult market which is for Sony and Microsoft is hype market and many (not everyone in this market) will buy things to show off or to say they have number one item.

Xbox360 price for release period is too small, correct price is >$500. But they do this cheap price so that they do not have to have price cut before PS3. Having price cut has image of cheap product. This is why no one buys GameCube which is very good system.

I don't remember MS making rediculous statements like anything less than 1080P is not HD. I don't remember MS at the 2005 E3 showing any tech demo like the killzone one.

I am not hard core as you I don't think game machines should cost 500 or more dollars when they launch.

quest55720 said:
I don't remember MS at the 2005 E3 showing any tech demo like the killzone one.

You forgot the exciting Halo 2 trailer in earlier E3. ;)
I'm a Halo fan and was psyched up ! But all is good now.

patsu said:
You forgot the exciting Halo 2 trailer in earlier E3. ;)
I'm a Halo fan and was psyched up ! But all is good now.

I agree but that was not at the 2005 E3:). The closest thing they did was at this years E3 with the Halo3 trailer and forza 2 trailer. They have time to make good on those promises.

quest55720 said:
Sure in a pinch it might be nice to check my e-mail with but that will not help sell me the machine.

Maybe not for you, but there are a lot of people who absolutely hate the PC and would see some general PC functions like web browsing/VoIP/IM on consoles (not just the PS3, but Xbox and Wii as well) as useful. It costs nothing to add it. I certainly would buy a games console which did this any day in preference to one that didn't, all other things being equal.

I think Xbox 360 is overpriced for a games only device, and many parents will refuse to buy one for their kids for this reason. The same people will be more than happy to pay $900 for "a computer" for their kids if it can do Internet browsing, email, Office suite, image editing, and printing, which the PS3 will certainly do. A hint for all those kids who can't afford a PS3 - tell your parents it is a computer and you can do your homework on it, and it is a lot cheaper than an equivalent PC, and is is a cinch to get them to shell out for one. I think this is a very smart marketing move by Sony.

SPM said:
Maybe not for you, but there are a lot of people who absolutely hate the PC and would see some general PC functions like web browsing/VoIP/IM on consoles (not just the PS3, but Xbox and Wii as well) as useful. It costs nothing to add it. I certainly would buy a games console which did this any day in preference to one that didn't, all other things being equal.

I think Xbox 360 is overpriced for a games only device, and many parents will refuse to buy one for their kids for this reason. The same people will be more than happy to pay $900 for "a computer" for their kids if it can do Internet browsing, email, Office suite, image editing, and printing, which the PS3 will certainly do. A hint for all those kids who can't afford a PS3 - tell your parents it is a computer and you can do your homework on it, and it is a lot cheaper than an equivalent PC, and is is a cinch to get them to shell out for one. I think this is a very smart marketing move by Sony.

How is the 360 over priced it is the same price as the last few genertion of consoles 299 for the system and controller. Was the PS1,PS2 ect over priced at 299 then?

If I was a kid I would not use that argument because my parents would of just bought me a 299USD dell PC instead and saved a lot of money in the process. If you have to use gimicks to sell your device you are in big freaking trouble. When the main selling point is not even what it was designed for you have a flawed concept.

quest55720 said:
I am not hard core as you I don't think game machines should cost 500 or more dollars when they launch.
So buy a Wii then! :) Perfect solution for you, as it is being actively aimed at casual/non-hardcore gamers, plus it will be affordable. This generation looks to be more interesting than usual because the span between different hardware platforms both in capability and price is much greater than usual.

Most of the time, each competitor is at least fairly close to the others, but not this time. I'm sure many look forward to seeing how things will pan out.

While PS3 will be costly, never will we be able to buy so much computing ability for so little money. A PC for the same amount of cash is pitiful in comparison from most respects, save memory and harddrive space.

Guden Oden said:
So buy a Wii then! :) Perfect solution for you, as it is being actively aimed at casual/non-hardcore gamers, plus it will be affordable. This generation looks to be more interesting than usual because the span between different hardware platforms both in capability and price is much greater than usual.

Most of the time, each competitor is at least fairly close to the others, but not this time. I'm sure many look forward to seeing how things will pan out.

While PS3 will be costly, never will we be able to buy so much computing ability for so little money. A PC for the same amount of cash is pitiful in comparison from most respects, save memory and harddrive space.

I plan on getting a WII actually the controller looks interesting the DS has opened my eyes to unique gaming. I also have a 360 because it has a reasonable price and well xbox live kicks ass.

That PC near the same price will also come with a monitor. If you wanna compare apples to apples add a few hundred to the price of the PS3 to include a monitor. For lets say 799 dollars I can build a pretty solid PC that will do PC functions much much better than the PS3 but the games will not look quite as pretty. Add to the fact I would not have to buy this PC till late spring when I can walk into a store to by a PS3. I would think you could get a athlon 64 3800+ 2 gigs of ram 250 gig harddrive burner and a video card that is close to a 7800GT. I would say that is a pretty damn good PC. Unless you wanna do your PC functions on a SDTV which not many would not want to do.

quest55720 said:
How is the 360 over priced it is the same price as the last few genertion of consoles 299 for the system and controller. Was the PS1,PS2 ect over priced at 299 then?

It is expensive when you have the Wii at a much lower price, the PS2 at $129 outselling it, and the better value PS3 (if you want the Bluray drive and hard drive), at $100 more. From a parent's point of view, a games console is just a waste of time that could be otherwise be spent on homework, so if I have to get one, why should I pay any more than the cheapest available.

If I was a kid I would not use that argument because my parents would of just bought me a 299USD dell PC instead and saved a lot of money in the process. If you have to use gimicks to sell your device you are in big freaking trouble. When the main selling point is not even what it was designed for you have a flawed concept.

The 299 USD Dell PC will be absolutely crap at games though. The kid would have to buy a 299 USD Dell PC plus an Xbox 360 to get the equivalent. Now, for 65 USD more (don't forget he would have to buy a memory card for Xbox 360), the kid gets a PS3, and there is a Bluray drive thrown in as well. The parents are also thinking - if we get him a low end Dell PC that he doesn't want, will he actually use it in the end? At least he is enthusiastic about the PS3 computer, and being so keen, he is likely to actually use it and learn things from it.

SPM said:
It is expensive when you have the Wii at a much lower price, the PS2 at $129 outselling it, and the better value PS3 (if you want the Bluray drive and hard drive), at $100 more. From a parent's point of view, a games console is just a waste of time that could be otherwise be spent on homework, so if I have to get one, why should I pay any more than the cheapest available.

The gamecube and dreamcast were 199 when launched so that argument is useless. I would say 299USD is the expected price of a console at launch and the 360 met that.

SPM said:
The 299 USD Dell PC will be absolutely crap at games though. The kid would have to buy a 299 USD Dell PC plus an Xbox 360 to get the equivalent. Now, for 65 USD more (don't forget he would have to buy a memory card for Xbox 360), the kid gets a PS3, and there is a Bluray drive thrown in as well. The parents are also thinking - if we get him a low end Dell PC that he doesn't want, will he actually use it in the end? At least he is enthusiastic about the PS3 computer, and being so keen, he is likely to actually use it and learn things from it.

The point is I tried to sell my parents the console by the PC functions they would assume I would want a PC and get me one instead. You keep forgetting adding a monitor to make apples to apples with a PC. Who the hell wants to do PC functions on a SDTV no one I know for sure. Thanks for making my point for a 30( you forgot a good mouse,keyboard and external DVD burner) more dollars I can get a premium 360 and cheap PC and have the best of both worlds and have a HD display I can use on either. Until the parents have a standalone blue ray play why would they care about it because they would have to buy movies 2x once for the blueray player and another for the rest of the TVs in the house that have normal DVD players on them.

PS3 premium+keyboard,mouse, external DVD burner=around 670
Premium 360+cheap PC=700 dollars.

Also I would count on a price cut around the time I can walk into a store and by a PS3.

I would say the 360 and PC is a much better deal because who the hell wants to do pc work on a SDTV. You also have much less conflicts in the family having both because 2 people can be happy at once instead of only one.

quest55720 said:
That PC near the same price will also come with a monitor.
Um, it will? Always? :LOL: What country do you live in where you can't buy a PC without a monitor included in the price?

For lets say 799 dollars I can build a pretty solid PC that will do PC functions much much better than the PS3
Well lucky us then the PS3 is never intended to do 'PC functions'. Besides, even if a full OS does become available for PS3, it will be perfectly capable of performing any number of mundane, day-to-day computing tasks regular people require. Hell, hundreds of millions of people still use systems with 1GHz at most CPUs and no more main memory than what PS3 has got and don't really suffer from it.

but the games will not look quite as pretty.
No kiddin'! :D Fact is, it'll barely be able to play games period, unless you go for titles several years old and run those at low resolution and/or detail levels.

Add to the fact I would not have to buy this PC till late spring when I can walk into a store to by a PS3.
Um, come again please? PS3s will be buyable in stores in november THIS year.

I would think you could get a athlon 64 3800+ 2 gigs of ram 250 gig harddrive burner and a video card that is close to a 7800GT. I would say that is a pretty damn good PC.
I would say you're over-optimistic, but even assuming that is the case, that's nowhere near the overall system power of PS3.

Guden Oden said:
I would say you're over-optimistic
You are the one to say...

Let me reiterate the obvious, you can't fly before you walk. This is the same gush of (blind) Sony enthusiasm that makeup the forums. Same ol' shite about PS2 Cyberworld Emotion Synthesis Teraflops Cell Computing Killzones and the whole bunch over the years.

Lets hope somebody is paying behind the scenes or it is embarassing to see grown men jump the bandwagon when there is yet a horse in sight. Wait for November and beyond before wetting your pants.

And Live Anywhere is not full of it ? There is no need for such language here. A vision is a vision. A run-away hit trailer is a run-away hit trailer. Nothing more or less even if MS is caught unprepared.

Look at the positive side. A PS3 is packed full of sophisticated hardware waiting to be unlocked. An Xbox360 is a well balanced console with the right entry price. A Wii is an innovative hi-tech toy for family fun. Just take your pick and share your joy. The market will decide the winner. Why turn around and attack others' preferences/opinion just because you don't like it ?

Sony does need help in the software department because of the scope and timing of PS3. I hope they found some partners, like nVidia with the GPU. Wait and see is the right attitude. But whether I wet my pants doing it depends on the strength of my bladder. ;)

Guden Oden said:
Um, come again please? PS3s will be buyable in stores in november THIS year.

How is that: 'walking into a store and buying one'?

The only way you'll be getting a PS3 in Nov is by waiting at least 4 hours in the cold and hope you're lucky enough to get one. It will be March before you can walk in and buy one, and his point was that there will likely be a pricedrop by March which is reasonable to expect.

Bottom line is, Sony has never delivered on it's pre-launch hype, it's never delivered anything that did much more than play games. I think it's a good bet to stay skeptical here instead of gushing about all the great 'pc-like' functions you'll be doing. If you get your hopes up for great PC like functionality, chances are, you're going to be dissapointed...

patsu said:
Sony does need help in the software department because of the scope and timing of PS3.

Ya just a minor understatement that one. Not only to they need to develop the entire secure OS, all the applications that will supposedly run, but they also need to create their brand new PS Live service, downloadable game content services, as well as the digital media distibution.

Maybe they pull it off, but I wouldn't expect to see too much in Nov. Maybe Nov 2007 we'll start to see some of this roll out.

patsu said:
Ok, RancidLunchMeat said it in a different way:

But still, this does not mean that Sony will market/sell PS3 as a PC replacement.

The PS3? To the mainstream market? No, I don't expect them to. To a certain small minority of ubergeeks and professional or casual programmers? Yes. A Cell and BR delivery device. They want to get the technology a foothold, they want there to be a certain level of adoption with the PS3.

If their plans go well, they might very well attempt to market the PS4 to the mainstream as a PC replacement.

But that would depend on how large of a group of ubergeeks and programmers they can convince to 'play' with the PS3, and the resulting fruits of their labor.

Does anybody really think Sony's vision for the Cell is simply a CPU for the PS3 and a scalable CPU that can be 'crippled' in order for use in other consumer electronics?

How much money did they invest in Cell tech and how many years did it take?

Am I the only one who remembers the talk about how our PS3 can talk to our Plasma TV which can talk to our Refrigerator and DSP and our Cell equiped Viao, and if one needs more processing power and the others aren't using it, they can all merge together and form Voltron?

PS2 Linux

If anyone wants an idea of what PS3 Linux should offer, at least. Too much to get your hopes up for something similar? That's really the precedent that exists, I don't think it's unreasonable to use that as a guide.

Many third party packages that you'd expect in a typical distro were included with it, and others can also be compiled on it. Other software that's x86-specific would require more work to port, obviously, but if the install base had been big enough you might have seen more external effort in that regard..

Titanio said:
PS2 Linux

If anyone wants an idea of what PS3 Linux should offer, at least. Too much to get your hopes up for something similar? That's really the precedent that exists, I don't think it's unreasonable to use that as a guide.

Many third party packages that you'd expect in a typical distro were included with it, and others can also be compiled on it. Other software that's x86-specific would require more work to port, obviously, but if the install base had been big enough you might have seen more external effort in that regard..

Well it would need to be made much more user friendly for starters. I never used PS2-linux but it doesn't sound like something that will suffice for casual users.

Linux (for PlayStation 2) is aimed mainly at the hobbyist home computer enthusiast. To install, configure and use the kit, you must be computer literate. We strongly recommend that you have a basic understanding of the Linux operating system before purchasing the product. There are many books on how to use the Linux operating system, some of which have been recommended by users on our discussion forums.

Amazing...

So you guys basically take Sony's PR talk as factual? Laughable.

People really have a short memory. If the past has shown us something is that nothing said by sony can be believed untill one has confirmed the information by ourselves.

Back