Sony: Press Conference & Tokyo Game Show

So what happened to the VR headset?

I get a feeling that they are struggling with this. Not so much in getting the tech together, they're already all over that. But I think that the price is causing an issue. IMO they're unsure of the market for it, whether releasing it at a competitive price (and probably making a loss per unit) will drive adoption of the PS4.

But if they get a trinity of PS4, VR, VitaTV running, especially if the VR works through remote play too, then they're going to have a very strong lineup of tech for this gen.

PSVita TV Serves as a "terminal" for your PS4. It hooks up to the TV so you can basically have 1 PS4 and 1 PSVita TV to serve two different rooms/TV with one PS4.

PSVita TV Also plays PS VITA games so you can play on big screens too, which is a gospel for some of us that wants to live stream PSV games and couldn't before.

It's actually a very bright idea from Sony, especially @ 100 USD.

Is the $99 price confirmed ? Has sony said when it will launch worldwide? To me this is th ebest thing ever ! A $99 console for my TV which can play freaking Vita games :p ! Whats not to like in it ??? We will get brand new shining games , not old games, for th eprice point of ps2 ! This is a perfect gift for kids and a perfect first home console ! Much much better than Ouya or anything else which only brings ipad games to TV. These are real PSP and Vita games man, MGS, Soul Sacrifice,Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, God Of War games....real console games , high quality, not some smart phone games !

Add to that it makes sure ur ps4 is accessible from two screens in ur home. perfect for me. Even without th eps4, I don't see why I won't get this !

Sony should push this with maximum marketing possible ! This is a huge oppurtunity !

Is the $99 price confirmed ? Has sony said when it will launch worldwide? To me this is th ebest thing ever ! A $99 console for my TV which can play freaking Vita games :p ! Whats not to like in it ??? We will get brand new shining games , not old games, for th eprice point of ps2 ! This is a perfect gift for kids and a perfect first home console ! Much much better than Ouya or anything else which only brings ipad games to TV. These are real PSP and Vita games man, MGS, Soul Sacrifice,Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, God Of War games....real console games , high quality, not some smart phone games !

Add to that it makes sure ur ps4 is accessible from two screens in ur home. perfect for me. Even without th eps4, I don't see why I won't get this !

Sony should push this with maximum marketing possible ! This is a huge oppurtunity !

It's ~9500 YEN, so it will be somewhere around 100 USD if you're familiar with the conversion rates.

Hopefully they've replaced the OLED with a Triluminous display, since they are producing them for their mobiles. Just as good, if not better than OLED, at colour reproduction and great contrast even in sunlight.

If that's the case I might replace my current vita with a new one. Especially if the battery life is better.

*edit*

Just saw, on the spec sheet, that it contains 1GB of internal storage. And it does sound like they're using a Triluminous display. I think it's time to upgrade!

Yeah, if it's better display plus more battery life, it's a step in the right direction.

So the Vita TV can remote play PS4 games as well ? Anything and everything on the PS4 screen ? What happens if someone else is using the PS4 ?

Yeah, if it's better display plus more battery life, it's a step in the right direction.

So the Vita TV can remote play PS4 games as well ? Anything and everything on the PS4 screen ? What happens if someone else is using the PS4 ?

Yes, supposedly yes, except for the camera stuff, and for the third question, you're supposed to be the only one using the PS4 so...

You can watch whats happening on the PS4 as well (I think), but the main idea seems to be remote play.

Ok, the PS4 will be fully occupied while serving Vita or Vita TV ? That's what I want to know.

If this is true, then it's only a stopgap solution, and a low cost, first attempt to defend against Android and to a certain extent, Apple TV.

The real/complete solution should include full Gaikai from PSN directly, when the time is right.

They will also need a TV app. Are they going with Torne DVR + TV tuner ? Or a PSN TV service ? Or leave it up to third party apps ?

Ok, the PS4 will be fully occupied while serving Vita or Vita TV ? That's what I want to know.

If this is true, then it's only a stopgap solution, and a low cost, first attempt solution to defend against Android and to a certain extent, Apple TV.

The real solution should include full Gaikai from PSN directly, when the time is right.

You mean full gaikai from PSN for PSV+ PSV TV?
"The cloud gaming services will provide gamers on the PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by gamers on the PS Vita system, with immediate access to a catalog of critically acclaimed PS3 titles,"​
"These games will be streamed using Gaikai’s proprietary network technology to deliver amazing gameplay that is fast and responsive."
http://www.psvitahub.com/2013/06/ps-vita-will-support-gaikai-cloud.html

I think this was confirmed a long time ago and if PSV can do it I don't see any reason PSV TV couldn't do it, especially as it directly supports DS3 controllers too.

They will also need a TV app. Are they going with Torne DVR + TV tuner ? Or a PSN TV service ? Or leave it up to third party apps ?
PSV TV supports Nasne according to the official PDF

PS Vita TV will also support “nasne™,” a networked recorder and media storage device . Users will not only be able to enjoy content stored within the device but also back up their game data as well as save data on “ nasne™ ” via the network *9.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130909c_e.pdf

You mean full gaikai from PSN for PSV+ PSV TV?

"The cloud gaming services will provide gamers on the PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by gamers on the PS Vita system, with immediate access to a catalog of critically acclaimed PS3 titles,"​
"These games will be streamed using Gaikai’s proprietary network technology to deliver amazing gameplay that is fast and responsive."
http://www.psvitahub.com/2013/06/ps-vita-will-support-gaikai-cloud.html

I think this was confirmed a long time ago and if PSV can do it I don't see any reason PSV TV couldn't do it, especially as it directly supports DS3 controllers too.

Ah yes, so it is a low cost PSN client, not really a PS4 extender. You don't need a PS4 to use VTV.

But if you do, you can also RemotePlay PS4 games to VTV.

Ah yes, so it is a low cost PSN client, not really a PS4 extender. You don't need a PS4 to use VTV.

But if you do, you can also RemotePlay PS4 games to VTV.

Yes, it's not a PS4 extender, but it pretty much does everything you would want an extender to do + alpha.

Yes. Same as current Remote Play with the exception that both the display directly connected to the PS4 and the Remote Play terminal both receive the video signal.

The multi-user support you're probably thinking of obviously has its own set of technical requirements not ideal for a home console.

PSV TV supports Nasne according to the official PDF

PS Vita TV will also support “nasne™,” a networked recorder and media storage device . Users will not only be able to enjoy content stored within the device but also back up their game data as well as save data on “ nasne™ ” via the network *9.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130909c_e.pdf

Ok, so to handle live TV, you need to buy Nasne since that device has a TV tuner and a HDD DVR.

Sony is probably thinking of offering live TV from PSN later since they are talking to the relevant parties now.

Ok, so to handle live TV, you need to buy Nasne since that device has a TV tuner and a HDD DVR.

Sony is probably thinking of offering live TV from PSN later since they are talking to the relevant parties now.

Some important details get lost from the conference, including Sony offering a bundle with So-net (their own internet I believe) to provide better internet to support the data coming in/out just like what they did in EU. I won't be surprised if Sony is going to try to integrate as many TV channels /services into PSV TV and PS4 in the near future if they get some headway in the first two years.

With VTV, I agree they may not need to talk about VR in TGS.

However since that thing has leaked like an open tap, might have to accelerate the development. Or even show us a thing or two to tie in with PS4 and PSN.

Some important details get lost from the conference, including Sony offering a bundle with So-net (their own internet I believe) to provide better internet to support the data coming in/out just like what they did in EU. I won't be surprised if Sony is going to try to integrate as many TV channels /services into PSV TV and PS4 in the near future if they get some headway in the first two years.

Ok, Sonet is their ISP partnership to provide 200Gbps to end users ? How's the latency ?

VTV might be the PS5 (or its mother). Purely cloud based. A PSN client.

Well, they meant to show it at gamescon, but pulled it pretty much at the last minute so I think they have enough material to show.

Regarding the latency, it really depends. For example, right now at my house in Taiwan, Google.com returns 9~10 ms of ping over fiber, so if they can put Gaikai somewhere around it then latency really isn't a big issue. My other friends in the same region get ~23 ms of ping using ADSL, so if they go all fiber I think they're fine.

Back