Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

It's an amazing for the price given it's specs. Sure you can (or at least will soon be able to) get better on PC in certain aspects (e.g. better picture with the Crystal, better form factor with the BSB) but as an all round package the PSVR2 is easily one of the best headsets out there, and for the price it's incredible. I would very likely get one if it were released on PC to replace my old Rift CV1.
I would target higher res headset if I had ultra highend pc ;) But imo if this calculation are close to truth its possible sony will create pc drivers.

If true and there's that much leeway to drop price, I hope Sony does. However, this is BOM. Total cost needs to cover R&D etc. But optimistically we'll get a $300 headset at some point?

It's an amazing for the price given it's specs. Sure you can (or at least will soon be able to) get better on PC in certain aspects (e.g. better picture with the Crystal, better form factor with the BSB) but as an all round package the PSVR2 is easily one of the best headsets out there, and for the price it's incredible. I would very likely get one if it were released on PC to replace my old Rift CV1.

It's kind of interesting. Prior to seeing the BSB, I was hoping the PSVR2 would come to PC, but now that I've seen the BSB, I've completely lost interest in the PSVR2 purely due to how gigantic it is.

The only thing the BSB falls short in a significant way to the PSVR2 is cost and eye tracking. Since it uses standard lighthouse controllers, you can have superior controllers, it has class leading light blocking, class leading weight, class leading size, comparable resolution, different optics with different pros and cons, since it uses lighthouses there's no chance for the controls to get occluded from the cameras if you have your lighthouses setup correctly...

While both of those (cost and eye tracking) are huge, some of those other things are equally important in different ways and obviously different people will feel different headsets are "best" based on their primary use case and what they can tolerate. I find that headset weight (even when well distributed) as well as headset size are increasingly things that I can no longer tolerate. Hell, I haven't even put on my Quest in over 6 months now purely due to how bulky it is and how tired my head, neck and face get even with a strap that allows it to have weight more evenly distributed.

It's interesting that headsets are getting much better, but they all still have significant and major drawbacks.

Regards,
SB

It is a bit sad that PC VR hasn't been able to land a product like PSVR2. There's nothing exotic or novel going on with the hardware, but it is a tidily designed piece of consumer electronics.

Is part of the low price down to Sony's buying power? If not, there's apparently a clear market to someone to just crib Sony's design and flog it on PC with a $200 mark-up. Anyone wanna join me in a Kickstarter? ;)

Finished Moss 1, played a little on psvr1 and now gave a chance with remastered version for psvr2. Firstly was little disappointed but went through it after finishing Village and Im very happy with my decision. Realy lovly game, with some interesting puzzles, very nice graphics (last boss fight is awsome) and little less interesting fighting with waves of enemies. 8/10 Now time for Moss 2, btw after playing Moss I think Diablo 4 would be awsome in vr.

Last edited:
Is part of the low price down to Sony's buying power? If not, there's apparently a clear market to someone to just crib Sony's design and flog it on PC with a $200 mark-up. Anyone wanna join me in a Kickstarter? ;)
samsung could make Odyssey 2, i suppose.

although not sure whether they could still rely on Windows MR or would need to do their own stuff and make it compatible with OpenXR / SteamVR.

It would be interesting to see how many backers one would get, ie is there really proper demand for VR or is it just super niche gimmicky thing.

Hmmm. Kickstarting Oculus started all this, so massive interest back then. But is it still around or did the realities of Oculus burst the VR dream bubble?!

i still have not decided if i should get one.. in any case i hope it comes as Sony promised. Like getting "Play in VR" Modes for Standard AAA Games. How is the order process anyway - is it still only available at Sonys own store?

Back