Sony PlayStation VR 2 (PSVR2)

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by snc, Feb 23, 2021.

1. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

As a vr sim primary gamer this is great news in moving vr tech forward. Hope it’s very successful for them!

snc likes this.
  2. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Nobody should have expected this. PSVR was a tiny fraction of the PS4 user base, so launching it for a system that three months later you still can't buy, would be kind stupid. Plus devs will need time to produce software for this thing.

3. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

I didn’t expect in 2021 but wouldnt be bad idea for december launch, just bring half life alyx for system and don’t postpone gt7 :d

DSoup likes this.
  4. goonergaz

Veteran

Could be single wire to a wireless box. Maybe have 2 options.

Wrong, I stream mine via virtual desktop and my Sky router - I see some buy a dedicated £60 unit but it’s not required.

Agreed, it’s about enjoying a game more than being wowed by the graphics for me.

So I guess you don’t play BC games?

5. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Yes, I said as much in the PSVR2 thread. A puck for the battery+wireless is a much better form factor than cramming the weight into the HMD.

goonergaz likes this.
  6. goonergaz

Veteran

Didn't realise there was a dedicated thread - will check it out

7. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

8. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

I thought that as well until I got the Reverb G2. The immersion level experienced from that level of clarity in VR absolutely impacts my enjoyment of driving.

I happily gave up the extra fov of the Pimax for the depth and clarity of the G2. I'm sure Sony will really push the HW here well.

#28 RobertR1, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    goonergaz likes this.
  9. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It may be a December launch; December 2022! :lol2: I would buy PSVR2 this year, VR games are absolutely fantastic and the single/thinner cable (I assume), higher resolution screen and better controllers address my only criticisms of the original. which I bought at launch. As janky as the Move controllers are, using them to fire arrows on Skyrim VR is an amazing experience. :yes:

I love VR.

snc likes this.
  10. goonergaz

Veteran

Oh yeah, I totally get that - but comparing to XSX (or even PS5) is ridiculous - VR will never be as graphically good as 'current gen' experience, it will always lag a generation - the best we can hope for (even tethered) is PS4 levels.

Even so, the gameplay is where it's at with VR - the immersion I guess depends on the type of game you're playing, but for Eleven, Beat Sabre and Audica - they all look plenty good enough and give a gameplay immersion totally unmatched by XSX/PS5 with no worry/consideration for wires.

Edit - just watched a review of the G2 - seems like the perfect headset for sims, I can imagine for Elite it would be absolutely amazing! Shame there's not one ideal solution :(

#30 goonergaz, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    eastmen likes this.
  11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Glad your sky router works , all the streaming methods i've seen for quest have been poor with a loss of quality.

I don't play bc games on my headset no. For me its about maximum visual experience inside of the headset. if graphics are lacking in something like rec room i can pump higher resolution with a 144hz and fsaa as high as i can get it to make it look as good in headset as possible.

When I'm able to get a higher resolution headset that does 144hz or better I will buy it. I have a bunch of headsets for work anyway.

12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I know vr has been around decades but it should really be considered a new tech. Because of that there are a lot of splinters and forks in the road of progress. It also depends on when headsets are released.

The index is nearing 3 years old , the g2 was fall 2020 I beleive and so I expect the next set of headsets to all leap frog even those. The next index will be wild.

I am interested to see what sony does as they need to make the headset affordable .

manux likes this.
  13. manux

Veteran Regular

For me upgrade cycle seems to be about 3 years. dk2, original rift, quest1 and then 2022 something new. I would be willing to invest more than 1k if there is value for the money. I would be even willing to go as far as not have large tv and use vr headsets for movies instead of tv. Assuming there was headset that was good tv replacement from picture quality pov.

I'll end up with ps5+vr and pc+vr for best of both worlds :) ps5 seems like it's difficult to buy this year. Might wait until 2022 to buy ps5 instead of trying to hunt one from limited supply. Horizon zero dawn is must play for me. I'll "have to" get ps5 for it.

14. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I did cv1 to index. My other headsets were bought steeply discounted or from work

manux likes this.
  15. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

with the IQ the Quest 2 offers over the PSVR, it's hard to go back to the PSVR, even if the graphics are more detailed.
    i received my PS5 adapter, may try it to see how it enhances NMS.

goonergaz likes this.
  16. goonergaz

Veteran

Same here, I haven't bought the Quest 2 version of Saints and Sinners as from what I can gather from comparisons, the PSVR version with it's better graphics is the best version to play (or at least six of one half dozen of the other) kind of thing. I already own the PSVR version so seems no point buying twice...though I do love the portability aspect of Q2 and I play it most days.

What we do know is that when it came out PSVR was 'toe to toe' with PC equivalent, from memory less screen door effect being the biggest advantage (along with comfort - the comfort being so good I bought the adapter from Aliexpress which has a very similar head support). So anyway, I'm confident whatever PSVR2 does, it will be at the least competent against what will be current...and of course with PS5 BC the PS4 games should get a nice new lease of life.

Arwin likes this.
  17. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

yeah the big generationnal leap from PS4 to 5 should be found in the PSVR2, the upgrade over PSVR1 should be really big.

snc and goonergaz like this.
  18. chris1515

Legend Regular

New VR controller

EDIT:

[​IMG]

#38 chris1515, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    DieH@rd, temesgen, Pete and 5 others like this.
  19. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Which hand has the blow functionality?

PSman1700 and London Geezer like this.