Sony Playstation E3 2013 Events

I think the price is the big deal, but it won't have an a impact until supply constraints ease up. The question is, is that 3 months or 6 months?
Consumers will also have first hand experience of features like kinect at that point, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Wario64 said on twitter he's been hearing from retail contacts that GameStop locations are being allocated as much as 3-4 times as many PS4 systems as Xbox Ones for launch.

Price was definitely the big announce for Sony tonight. Price is huge. It'll be interesting to see how the competition responds over the year following release. I expect both consoles to essentially sell out their stock for most of the first year. $100 is a big price difference. I don't think dropping Eye is a huge loss for them. I don't think it was a big reason they sold systems.

I don't think the price is that big a deal for working adults, assuming these hardware designs are not total dogs and they last at least 3-4 years. You amortize that $100 over that time period and it's not a lot.

But then again, you see people going for the free or $49 phones with contract instead of the $199 phones with contract, which includes the subsidy to make phones affordable.

But all these little costs add up, like not being able to sell games, paying for online, etc.

Maybe current console users of these services in the USA still don't care about their power costs but it's only a matter of time until they notice their next Smart-TV/Bluray-Player or low power streaming device does the same job cheaper.
All these media usage at first competes against people's normal passive TV time. Only because some group used their console instead of their cable/sat/dvd player proves nothing about these people's game consumption.

Both new consoles were designed to run in low power modes for those features.

Wario64 said on twitter he's been hearing from retail contacts that GameStop locations are being allocated as much as 3-4 times as many PS4 systems as Xbox Ones for launch.

Xbox one system amounts being quoted are for the day one edition. They will get another stock about double the size a week or two later from my understanding (gamestop dms). You will only get day one edition for a limited time if you preorder. after a certain point you get the regular verison

One more good reason to include the PS4Eye..,

But I wouldn't underestimate the effect of spy camera, net, used games, always on (not green friendly), I will not touch it being so unfriendly to damn offensive to my person as it is, and I have a (mostly but hardly always) stable net, like the kinetic for games, and used games are not that easy around here (although lending is easier).

Actually I'm more concerned with it going the other way. I think the $100 is a huge hurdle, unless the additional features MS is toting have real consumer value. If it is perceived to be the better experience, then the price difference matters less.
I think seeing demos is one thing, using it could give a very different impression.

Personally I'd happily take the DRM to never have to find disks, I think I said before I recently bought a download copy of a vita game I already owned, just for the convenience of not having to find the physical media. But I understand people who can't get past the ownership thing, I just wonder how many "real" people that is.

The kinect thing is intriguing to me, not sold on it, but I'm interested in trying it.

I'm not an interesting demographic though, the price is largely irrelevant to me and I'll pick up both at launch anyway, and likely more than one of at least one of them in the first couple of years.

If people are that concerned about ps eye being included, maybe you could lobby Sony to do launch bundles. Say take 10% of the stock and bundle a ps eye for 5USD savings over purchasing it seperate or some such.

People are moving towards digital downloads. This issue is overblown.

I don't think the amount is as high as you think it is. Also I would hate for everything to go DD; I don't know about everyone else but my ISP gives me a cap every month. 100GB!! I have to share that with everything in my home. Online gaming, Netflix, Youtube, downloading and whatever else my wife and child use on a daily basis (computer, phones, tablet, console, roku etc etc).

So if a game is a 9GB download for a DD title I can do about 2 of those a month before I;m going to have to curb some other internet usage. Plus whatever the cloud is going to use and I'm going to start getting letters from my ISP or have my speed reduced or account canceled. This also doesn't help people who cannot get good speeds through the internet. I think most of us take for granted that A LOT of people have crappy internet and can't download games.

Heck where I live if you don't live in town you either have dial up or satellite, guess my buddy just won't be able to buy games anymore!

That of course is the other big unknown, just what quantity can both parties manufacture in the first 3months and how many territories is that split across?

It would not surprise me if one of the could significantly out manufacture the other, we likely won't have a clear picture until the second XMas unless one or both completely bomb.

That of course is the other big unknown, just what quantity can both parties manufacture in the first 3months and how many territories is that split across?

It would not surprise me if one of the could significantly out manufacture the other, we likely won't have a clear picture until the second XMas unless one or both completely bomb.

It's interesting to wonder how many territories. Microsoft announced how many territories they were planning to launch in. I wonder if Sony will match that? Or if they'll concentrate their initial launch to fewer territories in order to have greater quantities in the territories that they think matter the most.

Regards,
SB

Also, don't forget Sony isn't launching in Japan this Christmas. That should allow them to allocate more stock than XBox One. It'll be kinda funny to see Xbox with a lead over PlayStation in Japan.

If people are that concerned about ps eye being included, maybe you could lobby Sony to do launch bundles. Say take 10% of the stock and bundle a ps eye for 5USD savings over purchasing it seperate or some such.

That still does nothing from a functionality support perspective with developers since it's still an optional accessory.

Also, don't forget Sony isn't launching in Japan this Christmas. That should allow them to allocate more stock than XBox One. It'll be kinda funny to see Xbox with a lead over PlayStation in Japan.

Did they even say Japan was one of the 21 territories? I didn't know they published a list.

ps4 looks strange, I really wonder how well it is cooled. Its got likely a more power hungry chip and the xbox has a giant heatsink and fan in it to cool it. PS4 is slimmer by the looks of it and doesn't seem to have a lot of vents like the xbox.

So im sitting here reading everything and was wondering if the PS4 will require full game installs for the games like XB1? If it does allow that option then will PS4 gamers have the ability to keep the game and sell it to used retailers?

I think the DRM issue for Microsoft was to combat the piracy issues that the 360 faced.

Also I think its safe to say that the XB1 has a built in theft deterrent system in place which being a victim of myself will be happy to know that thieves wont be doing anything with stolen goods.

All in all super excited to save $100 dollars off what would have been a $998 dollar holiday season.

Both new consoles were designed to run in low power modes for those features.

They compete against ARM platforms designed for mobile purposes. An AppleTV just needs 2Watt for example. No Console's low power mode and big power bricks can compete here energy wise.

Did they even say Japan was one of the 21 territories? I didn't know they published a list.
Ah, that's a good point. Japan might be ignored this Christmas. To be frank, I think it sorta makes sense, it seems only just recently that JP devs are shifting back to consoles. A lot of PS3 games have started popping up and with WiiU being on par, it'll probably stretch this gen out another year or two in Japan.

To Brit: Sony can always make some simple integration with PS Eye a TRC, so those who do hook it up will be able to get some added benefits even if a game doesn't explicitly develop for it.

I don't think the amount is as high as you think it is. Also I would hate for everything to go DD; I don't know about everyone else but my ISP gives me a cap every month. 100GB!! I have to share that with everything in my home. Online gaming, Netflix, Youtube, downloading and whatever else my wife and child use on a daily basis (computer, phones, tablet, console, roku etc etc).

So if a game is a 9GB download for a DD title I can do about 2 of those a month before I;m going to have to curb some other internet usage. Plus whatever the cloud is going to use and I'm going to start getting letters from my ISP or have my speed reduced or account canceled. This also doesn't help people who cannot get good speeds through the internet. I think most of us take for granted that A LOT of people have crappy internet and can't download games.

Heck where I live if you don't live in town you either have dial up or satellite, guess my buddy just won't be able to buy games anymore!

What do you think your 100 GB cap will stay around forever? Data caps will accommodate normal usage and data consumption grows everyday.

It's interesting to wonder how many territories. Microsoft announced how many territories they were planning to launch in. I wonder if Sony will match that? Or if they'll concentrate their initial launch to fewer territories in order to have greater quantities in the territories that they think matter the most.

Regards,
SB

as I said , Ms will have a second shipment coming in a week or two after launch. The difference is pre orders get the day one limited edition and it is limited you'd have to preorder quickly to get one. Most gamestops depending on volume will get 8 to 25 day one consoles. After that there will be the normal xbox one and gamestops should get double the units of that over the day one edition.

At least according to managers and dm's I've talked to at gamestop.

so possibly Xbox will be supply constrained and $499 won't matter and they can price cut sooner than later?

I had better get my pre-orders in

would love to know how MS is thinking about this after the $399

friggin Sony...goes too high last gen and too low this gen, :LOL:

Back