Sony PlayStation cross-platform game strategy

True and also there are people who will play tsushima on his rtx2060, will like it and think maybe I should jump on ps5pro as its not so expensive and much faster than my pc:unsure: Not sure why this forum think its impossible situation.
Not impossible. Just unlikely, Why would that person with an RTX2060 choose to spend $500-600 on a PS5Pro instead of a faster GPU? Particularly when that faster GPU will play all their current and future PC games faster whereas the PS5Pro will only play games bought on PS? If they buy a PS5Pro and want to play GoT in better quality, they'll have to buy it again. Whereas with the GPU option, they can play GoT better, and everything Sony has released on PC better, and all the other PC games better, and then what Sony release on PC in the future.

Not impossible. Just unlikely, Why would that person with an RTX2060 choose to spend $500-600 on a PS5Pro instead of a faster GPU? Particularly when that faster GPU will play all their current and future PC games faster whereas the PS5Pro will only play games bought on PS? If they buy a PS5Pro and want to play GoT in better quality, they'll have to buy it again. Whereas with the GPU option, they can play GoT better, and everything Sony has released on PC better, and all the other PC games better, and then what Sony release on PC in the future.
Because he will read he cant buy new gpu as his cpu will be limiting it and that he also should change cpu and good idea is also new motherboard and stronger power suply ;d I was a pc only player for many years, hard to imagine but this unlikely situation can happen especialy if you are mostly into sony type of games ;)

True and also there are people who will play tsushima on his rtx2060, will like it and think maybe I should jump on ps5pro as its not so expensive and much faster than my pc:unsure: Not sure why this forum think its impossible situation.

Personally I don't think that's impossible, in fact I argued that was exactly a part of Sony's reasoning even when their PC ports were just in the rumor stage. Whether that contingent is actually that sizeable however is another question.

I do think in fact that Sony has perhaps stumbled into somewhat of an ideal situation for this approach considering the relatively weak midrange offerings in the PC GPU space, and I'm not holding out that much hope we'll see any significant movement in this area with Blackwell/RNDA4. So their, and the resulting PS5 Pro's debut price will determine if this strategy actually has some more solid backing. The midrange segment of PC GPU's has had a significant part of their value proposition bolstered the superior reconstruction and framegen - two advantages which may not remain when the Pro hits.

The PC gaming market just keeps getting hit with supply crisis after supply crisis, or at least the motivation for these companies to extend any significant effort trying to capture more value-conscious gamers when they're rewarded far more significantly for focusing on other markets. Crypto, then AI, and now the reintroduction of China tariffs. All of these just further bolster the value proposition of consoles, more than would normally be (albeit the price hike of their online services and lack of price cuts indicate they're not completely isolated from rising silicon costs themselves of course).

Last edited:
Personally I don't think that's impossible, in fact I argued that was exactly a part of Sony's reasoning even when their PC ports were just in the rumor stage. Whether that contingent is actually that sizeable however is another question.

I do think in fact that Sony has perhaps stumbled into somewhat of an ideal situation for this approach considering the relatively weak midrange offerings in the PC GPU space, and I'm not holding out that much hope we'll see any significant movement in this area with Blackwell/RNDA4. So their, and the resulting PS5 Pro's debut price will determine if this strategy actually has some more solid backing. The midrange segment of PC GPU's has had a significant part of their value proposition bolstered the superior reconstruction and framegen - two advantages which may not remain when the Pro hits.

The PC gaming market just keeps getting hit with supply crisis after supply crisis, or at least the motivation for these companies to extend any significant effort trying to capture more value-conscious gamers when they're rewarded far more significantly for focusing on other markets. Crypto, then AI, and now the reintroduction of China tariffs. All of these just further bolster the value proposition of consoles, more than would normally be (albeit the price hike of their online services and lack of price cuts indicate they're not completely isolated from rising silicon costs themselves of course).
The tariffs are especially disappointing, Europe is going to get hit by proxy like last time. A 4090 already costs 2000€ as an example, what's a 5090 going to cost, 3000€?

Until Dawn is coming, too. Bigger surprise. But it looks like that Sony has nothing for this year when they have to remaster a PS4 game which everyone can play on the PS5...

The tariffs are especially disappointing, Europe is going to get hit by proxy like last time. A 4090 already costs 2000€ as an example, what's a 5090 going to cost, 3000€?

Tariff exclusion for graphics cards, and some other items, is reportedly extended again until May 31st, 2025 -

PCMag learned of the tariff exclusion from motherboard vendor ASRock. "Since we are a company selling PC motherboards and graphics cards, we’ve been watching the new policy closely,” the company said in an email. “What we knew from the released document and also the forwarder we worked with is that the graphics cards are excluded from the extra tariffs till 2025/5/31.”

Only peak concurrent players on Steam comparison vs other big gamepass release and it doesnt look good https://gameworldobserver.com/2024/05/23/hellblade-2-concurrent-players-vs-other-xbox-games
OK. Well that's definitively conjecture. We don't know steam sales, though we can gleam some data from player counts. We also don't know Xbox sales, which are further obscured by Gamepass players. Though, i would also assert that perhaps Microsoft doesn't care if you play it on Gamepass as long as it gets/keeps you on the service. But we don't know those numbers, either.

Also, that article has at least one game listed as if it were a first party day 1 Gamepass game, that couldn't possibly fit that description. Pillars of Eternity, developed by Obsidian, was published by Paradox in 2015 when Obsidian was an independent. It wasn't even launched on Xbox in 2015, that came in 2017 (a month after Gamepass launched) and when it did, it was again published by Paradox, and wasn't added to Gamepass. Microsoft didn't even start doing day 1 first party games on Gamepass until 2018, and didn't acquire Obsidian until the end of that same year. Even then, they didn't add Pillars to Gamepass until Dec '19. Pillar's Steam numbers, like most games, peaked at launch, before they were a first party studio. Before Gamepass existed. Before first party Xbox games were launched into Gamepass. Before it was even on Xbox, or Playstation, or Switch. These numbers aren't comparable for a number of reasons.

The endgame could, funnily enough, be a PlayStation co-developed PC AMD APU at some point. I would expect PS and PC platforms to merge sometime, with the PS being a fixed platform that refreshes every 3 years. Imagine sending your PS console to Sony and having the APU switched out for a more powerful version, with the old one going into a PS Lite console with less ram or something? Before any of that happens, Sony will need to have their own PC store, which steam fanboys would probably detest. This can easily be circumvented should Valve allow gamers to ’tip” valve, maybe have an app that scans the game case and then calculates the amount valve would have gotten with the option to Paypal it to them?

Because he will read he cant buy new gpu as his cpu will be limiting it and that he also should change cpu and good idea is also new motherboard and stronger power suply ;d I was a pc only player for many years, hard to imagine but this unlikely situation can happen especialy if you are mostly into sony type of games ;)

These people obviously exist, but we're talking subsets of subsets now. First the person has to care about Sony single player games, then they need to have both a GPU and CPU that is sufficiently below PS5 spec to make it cheaper to buy a console than simply upgrade their PC, then they need to be price conscious enough to actually care about that, then they have to place sufficient value on being able to play those Sony games a year or two earlier to outweigh all the other factors that previously made them a PC gamer, not least of which would be their existing games library, and day one access to all Xbox game as well as many Nintendo exclusives through emulation.

To put some metrics around that, likely less than half of PC's in the SHS have CPU's that are not comparable to or faster than the PS5 CPU (based on core counts of 8 or above + 1/3 of 6 core CPU's).

And the cost to fully upgrade a PC with all of the components you mention above (specifically a Ryzen 5600X, RTX 4060, 32GB RAM, AM4 MB, 650W PSU) comes in at around $625. That's a premium of about $225 over PS5 digital edition which is what, the cost of 4 new PS5 games? Sure there will be people that will do it, but enough for Sony to base their entire PC release strategy around?

The thing I think that gets lost in all of this: Lifestyle.

I don't know any PC gamer who's family wants their TV taken over by a console or console gamer that wants to sit in a chair to play games instead of on their couch like they always have.

These aren't small things. People do switch, but rarely and often slowly.

Day 1 on PC would be ballsy for Sony, but I'm betting it would be a net win for them. ie. They lose 10% of their PS5 sales and thus 30% of the revenue from 10 games from 10% of their userbase, but double their sales of blockbusters like Spider-Man 2 because they are selling to 50 million PC gamers as well. It might not be the BEST strategy though. The unpredictable, about 1-2 years later strategy I think is better.

The thing I think that gets lost in all of this: Lifestyle.

I don't know any PC gamer who's family wants their TV taken over by a console or console gamer that wants to sit in a chair to play games instead of on their couch like they always have.

These aren't small things. People do switch, but rarely and often slowly.

Day 1 on PC would be ballsy for Sony, but I'm betting it would be a net win for them. ie. They lose 10% of their PS5 sales and thus 30% of the revenue from 10 games from 10% of their userbase, but double their sales of blockbusters like Spider-Man 2 because they are selling to 50 million PC gamers as well. It might not be the BEST strategy though. The unpredictable, about 1-2 years later strategy I think is better.

I have a gaming pc hooked up to the tv in my den. It works perfectly fine.

I have a gaming pc hooked up to the tv in my den. It works perfectly fine.

Yes, and...? Same here. Do you think this is a common practice, though?

There's always these responses in discussions around markets/userbases - "Uh actually, I do this". While he may not personally know anyone who does this, I think the implication is clear - it's a very, very decided minority that does. The argument is that the vast majority of consumers operate in a certain way with these platforms.

Yes, you can hook up your PC to a TV just fine. The cost, size, and UI though is just a barrier for it to be a nominally accepted method of gaming on PC. Maybe that will change with low-cost Steam boxes V2, who knows. But atm PC ATX towers sitting beside TV's are not going to be attractive option for most in the living room, they'll just get a $500 console.

Back