Sony PlayStation cross-platform game strategy

The vast majority of gaming pcs are below PS5 spec, not even taking into account a PS5 pro releasing this year.
These people aren't playing Sony's first party releases on PC, I presume. Those playing AAA games are likely invested in capable hardware.

Many PC players cannot shut up about how wonderful the steamdeck is..
There's no numbers here, so it's an aimless anecdotes. There are 7 billion in the world; you can always find 'lots of people' for any criteria.

Any meaningful debate on what PC players are likely to do regards getting a console would need a decent look at who are the PS title players, what hardware they own, what they'd spend on a console and why/why not they would.

I still find their messy strategy completely insane and utterly shortsighted.

Live service being day 1 on PC & PS makes sense. That part I can wrap my head around.

Beyond that, they should be hewing closely to generations. Get their teams porting PS4 titles to PC, with a free PS5 upgrade for any owners of the PS4 versions. PS5 generation games don't find their way onto PC until the PS6 releases.

And get a bloody PlayStation store on the PC, keeping it one generation behind, with a small fee to unlock the PC version if you own the PS version, or vice versa. Or subscribe to PS+Premium to stream the PS version on whatever platform.

They're kinda there already, but it's in dribs and drabs with no clear cut-off point in terms of messaging. Which is absurd for the only platform with *numbered* generations. Hulst's comment is still too vague on the SP side of things, and it's those SP games that drive people to their platform through which they make 30% of revenue from other business' games.

Reactions: snc
The vast majority of gaming pcs are below PS5 spec, not even taking into account a PS5 pro releasing this year.

Possibly not as many as you expect. It is a majority, but not a huge one. When I counted it up back in March just over 34% of PC's on the Steam Hardware survey were roughly equivalent (2070) or faster than the PS5.

The PS5P will significantly move the needle of course, as the number of PC's equivalent to (3080) or faster than that sat at around only 10% in April, but by the time the pro launches, the 5 series will have launched so the move probably won't be huge as we would expect.

Should players become invested in IP then buying an entire PS5 for less than a mid range GPU might seem like a viable option, also it would not be a single game, they will want more AAA hit titles

You can get an equivalent or better GPU today (4060 - $299) for much less than the cost of a PS5 ($399), so that argument doesn't really hold. The Pro might change things but I'm unconvinced. The 4070 msrp today is $599. A 5 series equivalent (5060Ti perhaps) could retail for much less. The 4060Ti today has an MSRP of $399. The Pro won't be that cheap.

There are also plenty of reasons outside of raw hardware performance why existing PC gamers would choose to remain on the PC rather than switching to consoles, so even if it were cheaper to buy a console rather than an equivalent GPU, I'm not convinced that will convince many existing PC gamers to take the console route as opposed to upgrading their PC and waiting a bit longer for a handful of games.

Not all pc players have top notch hw and some can make jump when ps5pro will be introduced (or even not a jump, just another hardware to play some games day 1 and not have to wait 2 years or more)
Those who play for graphics will wait. Those playing f2p / live service titles already have everything they need or want and will not care about the 1st party titles coming over.

Those who play for graphics will wait. Those playing f2p / live service titles already have everything they need or want and will not care about the 1st party titles coming over.
Those who play for graphics are:
1) rather minority of pc market (see hellblade 2 sales)
2) if somebody have money for rtx4090 he also could buy another toy like ps5pro to have some games on premiere
I think having pc + ps5 is not that uncommon and this strategy is for increasing it

2) if somebody have money for rtx4090 he also could buy another toy like ps5pro to have some games on premiere
I think having pc + ps5 is not that uncommon and this strategy is for increasing it
But it’s not about money. It’s about experience. If someone pays for a 4090, they want to maximize that experience. They don’t want to invest in a PS5pro. They would be more than willing to wait. They’ve been waiting all this time. If they know it’s coming they will wait. If it’s not coming at all, that may incentivize them to make a purchase. But they know it’s coming now.

Also: the difference in graphics between pc and ps5/xbox series x has never been smaller
I partly don't agree with that. 99% of the time, yes. At the same time when a game comes out with a good ray tracing implementation (which is pretty rare) there are some of the biggest differences that we have seen since the ps360 era.

Surely these people aren't playing the first versions of PS5 games to want the sequel? Or are they playing them on potato graphics? At which point, why aren't they buying PS5's now to play games better than their potato PCs??
But buying the GPU gives an improved PC and all their existing PC library. Buying a PS5Pro only gets them whatever PS5 games they then buy.

But it’s not about money. It’s about experience. If someone pays for a 4090, they want to maximize that experience. They don’t want to invest in a PS5pro. They would be more than willing to wait. They’ve been waiting all this time. If they know it’s coming they will wait. If it’s not coming at all, that may incentivize them to make a purchase. But they know it’s coming now.
Imo waiting is for plebs ;d Dont understand how anybody could wait for example for upcomming gta6 when he can play on ps5pro day 1 ? (of course taking into account money is not a problem) + after 2 years (in case of sony titles) they can play again on their shinest new pc hw

Surely these people aren't playing the first versions of PS5 games to want the sequel? Or are they playing them on potato graphics? At which point, why aren't they buying PS5's now to play games better than their potato PCs??

But buying the GPU gives an improved PC and all their existing PC library. Buying a PS5Pro only gets them whatever PS5 games they then buy.
I mean if Sony wouldnt release their games at all on pc it would be even better strategy to encourage pc players but they want to also sales their games on bigger market. Its a compromise.

Imo waiting is for plebs ;d Dont understand how anybody could wait for example for upcomming gta6 when he can play on ps5pro day 1 ? (of course taking into account money is not a problem) + after 2 years (in case of sony titles) they can play again on their shinest new pc hw

I assume you have all 4 major platforms then as you'll be waiting for some games (forever in some cases) no matter which one, two or three you have.

And I expect for most people, the inconvenience of having 4 separate gaming platforms outweighs the inconvenience of having to wait a little for (or even never get access too) a relatively tiny fraction of games in a market that's absolutely saturated with top quality releases.

I still find their messy strategy completely insane and utterly shortsighted.

Live service being day 1 on PC & PS makes sense. That part I can wrap my head around.

Beyond that, they should be hewing closely to generations. Get their teams porting PS4 titles to PC, with a free PS5 upgrade for any owners of the PS4 versions.

Not sure what incentive that would provide. I mean, they don't do that now for PS4 versions that receive notable upgrades (from their own stats they have plenty of players still on PS4, they want to get those players on PS5 as well!), and the ones that get the free patches that do the minimal like just upgrading to 60fps would already have the ability, and likely more, on the PC version. Those older titles would need some substantial enhancements to not look completely out of date, whereas with titles now they can still be lauded for their graphics quality (like HFW) while just receiving a few graphical tweaks - and many of which will likely be ported back into the PS5 Pro version.

As well, sticking to last gen games in 2024 would mean they couldn't charge their $69 asking price like they do now...well they could try, but even I don't think they're that arrogant. So less revenue.

And get a bloody PlayStation store on the PC, keeping it one generation behind, with a small fee to unlock the PC version if you own the PS version, or vice versa.

Again, a question of incentive. If you already own the PS4 version, then Sony has far more of your revenue than they would get from the 'small fee' to upgrade to the PC version. If you've got a PS5 you can already play that owned PS4 version for no added fee.

Last edited:
I assume you have all 4 major platforms then as you'll be waiting for some games (forever in some cases) no matter which one, two or three you have.

And I expect for most people, the inconvenience of having 4 separate gaming platforms outweighs the inconvenience of having to wait a little for (or even never get access too) a relatively tiny fraction of games in a market that's absolutely saturated with top quality releases.
have ps5 and xsx, will have switch 2 and ps5pro later, would have highend pc if money was out of equation

have ps5 and xsx, will have switch 2 and ps5pro later, would have highend pc if money was out of equation

Ok, but you're a tiny minority with owning that many platforms. Most players do not own more than one console. You can't understand how people can wait, because 'not waiting' is obviously a high priority for you, but you're not representative of the majority, just as a 4090 owner is not representative of the average PC gamer.

Ok, but you're a tiny minority with owning that many platforms. Most players do not own more than one console. You can't understand how people can wait, because 'not waiting' is obviously a high priority for you, but you're not representative of the majority, just as a 4090 owner is not representative of the average PC gamer.

To be fair, @snc clearly wants to play Nintendo games but is willing to wait for a whole new console to release before he plays them - presumably because he wants to ensure he plays those Nintendo games at the best possible quality. So I'd have thought he should understand exactly how PC only gamers are content to wait to play the better version of a few games. :yes:

To be fair, @snc clearly wants to play Nintendo games but is willing to wait for a whole new console to release before he plays them - presumably because he wants to ensure he plays those Nintendo games at the best possible quality. So I'd have thought he should understand exactly how PC only gamers are content to wait to play the better version of a few games. :yes:
I will buy switch 2 even if it dont have backward compatibility ;) hw will be imo good enough for portable gaming this time

True and also there are people who will play tsushima on his rtx2060, will like it and think maybe I should jump on ps5pro as its not so expensive and much faster than my pc:unsure: Not sure why this forum think its impossible situation.

I partly don't agree with that. 99% of the time, yes. At the same time when a game comes out with a good ray tracing implementation (which is pretty rare) there are some of the biggest differences that we have seen since the ps360 era.
Would you argue in that case that before this generation more than 99% of all console multiplatform games looked identical to PC? First time I have read that
also don’t console games have raytracing as well? Maybe you are comparing ps4 to pc?

Would you argue in that case that before this generation more than 99% of all console multiplatform games looked identical to PC? First time I have read that
also don’t console games have raytracing as well? Maybe you are comparing ps4 to pc?
They didn't look identical, but they were usually more incremental upgrades, like resolution, shadow maps, draw distance etc. Console games also have ray tracing, but one or two effects are generationally different from 5-6 ray tracing effects or even path tracing.

Back