Sony Playstation 5 Reveal? [The Great Awaitening] [HangOver Day: 2020-03-18]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which we knew because its a games console. Just like for the ps4 it was build for the purpose of gaming. It doesnt mean either its fully custom.
And then the 8k ’tv support’, why not report hdmi2.1, doesnt sound as exciting? A whole lot of nothing again, we knew all this.

No built for purpose SSD is not a term only use in SSD for gaming it is for example since 2015 for SSD use in datacenter. Currently PC SSD are far from reaching there true potential with multiple bottleneck some hardware and some in software(filesystem created around HDD for example).

It just means a SSD heavily customize in hardware and software not something you order and find in retail. In datacenter they call the SSD they use built for purpose flash storage and the standard SSD for PC legacy SSD for example.

https://www.purestorage.com/content/dam/purestorage/pdf/datasheets/ps_ds_flasharray_03.pdf

FlashArray//X moves beyond the legacy SSD architectures that are architected to make flash pretend to be a hard
disk.
Instead, DirectFlash within Purity speaks directly to raw NAND with a super-efficient NVMe protocol and leverages
NVMe-oF for even faster network speeds between the array and application servers.

There is af abstraction system to make the SSD looking like a HDD. It slows everything down.

For sure the carnival of stupid will be very funny when the specs will release and after Someone open the consoles. Beginning with @PSman1700, after there is a major difference between you and me I have an idea what there inside the PS5 SSD and I continue with it it will be faster than the fastest PC SSD(faster than 7 GB/s) when it will release and the biggest difference will be in real usage when PCIE5 will release in 2021 at least in theory it will not be the fastest SSD anymore in practical usage in gaming not sure at all a NVMe is not much faster than a SATA SSD on PC for multiple reasons some hardware but mostly software. The PS5 SSD with optimized game will nearly reach theoretical speed. Very curious to see what first party will do with it.

Last edited:
For a lot of people, laying down £/€/$400 to £/€/$500 for a videogame console is a serious investment of money at an already-expensive time of the year and requires saving for it. To save for it they have to be a) excited enough to save for it and b) know how much they need to save sufficiently in advance to have enough for launch.
They already know how much they have to save and when to save it by. £/€/$400 to £/€/$500 at the end of the year, November to December time. It's not like a great mystery. They people who will be buying in the first months are already excited and don't need any marketing at all - their imagination will do all that for them. They don't need to be told to save either because they'll either be doing that already, or they will buy on credit, or they can't afford it and won't be buying until there's a price drop.

It's not like this is a new, unknown product that needs to drum up interest. It's the fifth iteration of a very familiar console. It's so passé now, perhaps Sony just can't be arsed to make a fuss any more? They don't need to either. The fans will buy no matter what, and after that, the games will sell the machine or not. If they aren't pretty or exciting enough, we won't bite, regardless what hardware is or isn't under the hood.

@chris1515 Lol, what are you saying exactly. You have an idea of whats in there, many do. Faster then anything pc users can get, there will be advantages to that 400 to 500 dollar box, but i wont hop on that fantasy train of yours no matter how much you hype.
Like said there will be advantages to the ssd solution, but for one there will be speed advantages vice versa too. Overall you will be looking at a mid end hardware system at best if its around 9tf, by late 2020/early 2021. We will see 7gb/s solutions, i highly doubt ps5 will be much faster then that.

@chris1515 Lol, what are you saying exactly. You have an idea of whats in there, many do. Faster then anything pc users can get, there will be advantages to that 400 to 500 dollar box, but i wont hop on that fantasy train of yours no matter how much you hype.
Like said there will be advantages to the ssd solution, but for one there will be speed advantages vice versa too. Overall you will be looking at a mid end hardware system at best if its around 9tf, by late 2020/early 2021. We will see 7gb/s solutions, i highly doubt ps5 will be much faster then that.

I did not say much faster I said faster you can go faster than this with a slower SSD but with good and complex compression data. Like for example in this datacenter appliance you just need ASIC to be able to decompress the data as fast as the SSD.

https://www.purestorage.com/content/dam/purestorage/pdf/datasheets/ps_ds_flasharray_03.pdf

Purity Reduce: The FlashArray leverages five forms of inline and post-process data reduction, including compression
and deduplication. Data reduction is always-on and operates at a variable block size, enabling effective reduction across
mixed workloads without tuning. B,w[ kb]differentinds of data compress differently, it applies multiple compression
algorithms over time[/b] and uses machine learning to identify the best compression for your workloads. Data reduction
averages an industry-leading 5:1 with a total efficiency of 10:1 (including thin provisioning).

Here compression ratio is probably 4 to 1 it means if you have decompressor fast enough to uncompress the data as fast as the SSD for example for a 3.5 GB/s SSD you will be able to load in memory 14 GB/s of uncompressed data inside RAM and this is much faster than your theoretical speed of the SSD. You don't need to brute Force with an expensive SSD but customize the SSD around your application and cost here gaming in price sensitive console. You can go with a PCIE3 SSD from 2 to 3.5 GB/s SSD an be much faster than a PCIE4 SSD. Because you customize your SSD because you don't need the console to run on an HDD and go with a tailored made filesystem for the game.

And with people optimizing data for streaming like on HDD for gaming you can reach 75 to 99% of theoretical raw SSD read speed depending of the size of read request. Streaming game on HDD consoles are not far from theoretical speed too because the data is optimized for maximum speed, they will continue to do the same with less constraint no need to duplicate data to not move the HDD head for example.

Edit:
https://thessdguy.com/baidu-goes-beyond-ssds/

Here they write data by 8MB minimum and can reach a high rate read speed between 76% for 8kb read request to 99% for 8MB read request and when you read 8MB of data you just need to do a random read you just need parralel read request to be able to cover the latency exactly like in a GPU parralelism cover latency from GPU RAM.

Last edited:
They already know how much they have to save and when to save it by. £/€/$400 to £/€/$500 at the end of the year, November to December time.

How much are PS5 and XSX cost and which month are they coming out? Say somebody is saving 40-50 a month, saving at the start at March - will that be enough to by a console and a game at the time of launch?

A lot of people do not have an abundance of disposable income and saving for something means going without other things for months on end. I also would not assume that not having the money on launch day means I can get it the month after because demand for popular products often outstrips availability. PS4 launch window supply was great compared to previous consoles and still Sony could not keep up.

How much are PS5 and XSX cost and which month are they coming out? Say somebody is saving 40-50 a month, saving at the start at March - will that be enough to by a console and a game at the time of launch?

A lot of people do not have an abundance of disposable income and saving for something means going without other things for months on end.
For those people, it doesn't matter. If they can't afford save, doesn't matter whether Sony announces the price or not. I'd have thought someone budgeting would be looking at £50 a month from now. Do people actually do that though? Isn't it more normal to just dip into savings or put in on credit?

I also would not assume that not having the money on launch day means I can get it the month after because demand for popular products often outstrips availability. PS4 launch window supply was great compared to previous consoles and still Sony could not keep up.
Would a PS5 reveal help with that?

For those people, it doesn't matter. If they can't afford save, doesn't matter whether Sony announces the price or not. I'd have thought someone budgeting would be looking at £50 a month from now. Do people actually do that though? Isn't it more normal to just dip into savings or put in on credit?

A lot of younger folks, people in their late-teens, 20s and even 30s work for me. I see them living day-to-day and week-to-week because they're saving for things - beit something to do with videogames, a new TV, a piece of furniture, a new car, a car/home repair, some partial contribution to a mortgage deposit. Credit is a mug's game and for many it's reserved for the absolute necessities. You can some up then need to use that money for something essential, or just more desirable.

I'm in my forties and I didn't have it so tough at their age because the economy was different.

On one side, $1 is enough to buy 3 months of well over 250 games from Xbox Game Pass. ;)

On one side, $1 is enough to buy 3 months of well over 250 games from Xbox Game Pass. ;)
And you need a $20 to $50 per month broadband depending where you live. And when the $1 honeymoon is over, you have to pay $100 every year for as long as you don't want the console to become just a door stop. Promotions don't last forever.

Which you need anyways if you want patched games.
Based on the number of Switch consoles on our network, some folks are doing this at work. It's a little less covert to do this with a PlayStation or Xbox though, granted! I don't believe there are actually any rules against it, though.

And you need a $20 to $50 per month broadband depending where you live. And when the $1 honeymoon is over, you have to pay $100 every year for as long as you don't want the console to become just a door stop. Promotions don't last forever.

Well there is Microsoft Rewards that been around for years & keeps getting better. If you're smart enough there are ways to get around paying full price. But if you don't want keep paying for Game Pass you can take advantage of the discount(up to 20%) and buy your games outright.

Looks like PlayStation has a Sony Rewards program but it doesn't look like you get an extra discount for buying PSNow titles outright. If I missed it I'm sure I will get corrected. ;)

Tommy McClain

I don't know of any Sony Rewards program. If one exists, Sony do about as good a job of advertising it as they do extolling the virtues of PSNow.

Here compression ratio is probably 4 to 1 it means if you have decompressor fast enough to uncompress the data as fast as the SSD for example for a 3.5 GB/s SSD you will be able to load in memory 14 GB/s of uncompressed data inside RAM and this is much faster than your theoretical speed of the SSD. You don't need to brute Force with an expensive SSD but customize the SSD around your application and cost here gaming in price sensitive console. You can go with a PCIE3 SSD from 2 to 3.5 GB/s SSD an be much faster than a PCIE4 SSD. Because you customize your SSD because you don't need the console to run on an HDD and go with a tailored made filesystem for the game.
Does PC SSD also stream compressed data? What is the difference?

I guess PS5 would be revealed this week because there are some new events other than coronavirus outbreak. Oscars 2020 will be held today, and Samsung Galaxy S20 event is also this week. It is another chance to promote new consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back