Sony Playstation 5 Reveal? [The Great Awaitening] [HangOver Day: 2020-03-18]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damage Control? They reworded the phrase as it initially said "it will take some time".

This does not bode well at all...
Not being ready to reveal is okay imo; there was and continues to be a great deal of backlash from showing products that are downgraded for release. I believe that alongside the hardware showing; they must have software to show it off as well. They may be buying their studios as much time as possible here on this front. And I believe that is understandable.

Not knowing the price you want to launch at is concerning though. The price should have been determined on the bill of costs way before they went into design. I am curious at the implications of what they mean here.

Not knowing the price you want to launch at is concerning though. The price should have been determined on the bill of costs way before they went into design. I am curious at the implications of what they mean here.

That's true and it gives more credence to "chip redesign" theories.

Word is they’re waiting for MS to reveal their price, so they can adjust. Bit silly if I’m honest.

I reckon the price is way more important than the specifications. Consoles of all specifications, relative to the competition, have succeeded overwhelmingly. Expensive consoles - regardless of specification - have struggled. If you sell more you can bank of that attach rate paying off over the long haul and afford to make more of a loss early on. You don't want too, but you can.

a-strange-game-the-only-winning-move-is-not-to-6657317.png

Microsoft should just announce the XBSX price equals the PS5 minus $1.

Tommy McClain

They should just announce it at £999 - let Sony come out with £899 - then go JUST KIDDING GUYS IT’S 499!

I would be hoping that Sony would be leading, not waiting to see what their competitors do...Being the leaders that they are, they should be designing their next product for their customer base. I'm going to have to look at this type of response with less confidence that they have in their product.
I disagree. The news that they're waiting is for investors. Let's assume Sony have a price point in mind, $399. If XBSX launches at $599, Sony may well add another $50 on. If they commit to a price that's too low, they miss additional profits. If they're in a position to wait and see, waiting and see results in the most informed move.

It can be seen as cowardice or intelligent depending on one's preferred interpretation - the difference between a confident general sending in a army strongly to try and overpower, versus a general who holds back with a little skirmishing to size up his opponent and decide the best attack. Different tactics.

I disagree. The news that they're waiting is for investors. Let's assume Sony have a price point in mind, $399. If XBSX launches at $599, Sony may well add another $50 on. If they commit to a price that's too low, they miss additional profits. If they're in a position to wait and see, waiting and see results in the most informed move.
Yup. Like it or not, Sony are the market leader and they don't need to take risks. But Sony playing it safe is an opportunity for Microsoft to be bold.

I so want MS to not announce a price until after July 4th.

Let's assume Sony have a price point in mind, $399. If XBSX launches at $599, Sony may well add another $50 on.
Well this is the exact scenario I would worry about then; PS5 margins are being increased to match XSX.
If XSX was designed for $599 price point then it's hardware will be $599 value
If PS5 was designed for $399 price point, but then you're charging $459, it's like no one learned from Xbox One.

Well this is the exact scenario I would worry about then; PS5 margins are being increased to match XSX.
If PS5 was designed for $399 price point, but then you're charging $459, it's like no one learned from Xbox One.
They can both pull and AMD and "jebait" each other. MS says $599, sony responds with $449, then MS says syke, $499.
If github is an indicator of near final hardware, I think sony are more likely take a bigger hit and lower price to $399, assuming they were aiming for $449 or $499.

They can both pull and AMD and "jebait" each other. MS says $599, sony responds with $449, then MS says syke, $499.
If github is an indicator of near final hardware, I think sony are more likely take a bigger hit and lower price to $399, assuming they were aiming for $449 or $499.
Those are sort of special exceptions and can't be done often or you will entirely lose customer confidence and people are just going to wait for it to go even cheaper. The pricing has to stay in place for a while.

Once it's announced the price is locked at least for 8-12 months unless you are selling a different SKU.

Those are sort of special exceptions and can't be done often or you will entirely lose customer confidence and people are just going to wait for it to go even cheaper. The pricing has to stay in place for a while.

Once it's announced the price is locked at least for 8-12 months unless you are selling a different SKU.

Ms did do limited launch (of the One S) with 2tb and charged more. They did a day one for launch and a scorpio edition One X.

Not quite the same, but I would expect a similar early adopter premium or collectors model to eek a little bit more back from the early adopters.
This would alow some level of price fluidity but not tit for tat ala AMD/Nvidia

You're talking post release. I'm saying prerelease, just as AMD did. They can change the price before any units are sold but as you said, it doesn't look good.

Sony are likely to sell all they can make in the first few months at $450 just as at $400; I think anyone with a $400 'upper limit' would stretch, or at least a large enough proportion of the $400 target would. I think Sony (ad their investors) would love the PS brand to be so strong they can make $50 profit on the hardware, and as a business, they can't be begrudged that. Obviously as consumers we wouldn't approve.

They can both pull and AMD and "jebait" each other. MS says $599, sony responds with $449, then MS says syke, $499.]
SEC rules do not permit such bullshit. This would be intentionally misleading the market and investors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back