Sony Home - The official thread*

Yes... I always thought they should assimilate Blu-ray features into PS3 experience more seamlessly since it's already in. Blu-ray media doesn't have to be associated with "expensive" and "HD" exclusively. Each game title should be a unique Blu-ray packaging to provide a total experience (including access to Home clans, official site, Internet forums and user generated content).

In the mean time... I smile at this:

The Home Cinema has received several new trailers as well including the likes of Around the World and Reign Over Me. It also appears that new streaming methods have been implemented for videos in public spaces, as they play more smoothly the closer one stands to them.

They seem to use "distance from the screen" as a metaphor for resolution setting. The further away you are, the lower the resolution (and/or perhaps bitrate)... so it away clear. You can still zoom the video to [close to] full screen (I think I saw someone did this in a demo).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering how the network will hold up to be honest with you.

I have a 20 mbit connection but anything from PSN chuggs along barely reaching more than 100~200kb/s

Taking into account that Home is probably going to be huge, it's slightly worrying.

That is why they should distribute/open up PSN. Truth to be told, my download experience has been excellent so far (better not jinxed it... I'm in Northern California).

Sources indicated that PS Home is peer to peer based. So we shall see... I remain hopeful.

People are saying that "Mainichi Issho" already has limited in-game XMB messaging for a long time. The Home patch seems to expose the features in the XMB "Friends" icon, minus the video chat, within the virtual world. However it may indeed be for Home only.

Don't know what's going on. There is another XMB "2.0" rumor going on now (for E3). Best is to sit back and wait.

I don't really read this as "in-game/home XMB access". It sounds like it's going through the same channels as other games with in-game friends list access, but doing so much more comprehensively, supporting pretty much all the functionality that you have on the xmb for your friends list.

I agree wtih Titanio. It sounds more like accessing XMB data, rather than jumping out (or embedding) XMB. It's the unified friends list in operation, rather than XMB direct access.

I don't really read this as "in-game/home XMB access". It sounds like it's going through the same channels as other games with in-game friends list access, but doing so much more comprehensively, supporting pretty much all the functionality that you have on the xmb for your friends list.

That's how I read as well, which makes me think in-game xmb access is not coming soon.

Haven't seen this posted yet...

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15096

Nothing startling there. But a bit of emphasis on user created content again. Hmm. Outside of LBP nothing really springs to mind on that front...

Makes me wonder if the toolset would be available to the Average Joe --> lots of people creating new outfits for their favourite characters.

EDIT: Ignore all that above. I should've read the article properly.

Forgot to post about this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7738250&postcount=31

Courtesy of Titanio:

Home related?

The only thing that doesn't really fit is that it's a SCEJ trademark, not a SCEE one.
6g8rgw2.jpg

"The mark consists of dress followed by a heart button."

The mark pretty much specifies everything under the sun, but more specifically this:

SOFTWARE FOR CREATING DRESS AND WEARS FOR VIRTUAL REALITY AVATARS, SOFTWARE USED FOR CREATING VIRTUAL REALITY AVATARS, AND SOFTWARE FOR COMPUTER GENERATED 3-DIMENSIONAL CLOTHING FOR AVATARS; RETAIL STORES FEATURING CLOTHING, VIDEO GAME SOFTWARE, SOFTWARE FOR CREATING DRESS AND WEARS FOR VIRTUAL REALITY AVATARS, SOFTWARE USED FOR CREATING VIRTUAL REALITY AVATARS, AND SOFTWARE FOR COMPUTER GENERATED 3-DIMENSIONAL CLOTHING FOR AVATARS

ENTERTAINMENT IN THE NATURE OF FASHION SHOWS; ORGANIZATION OF FASHION SHOWS; PROVIDING INFORMATION IN THE FIELD OF HISTORY OF CLOTHING; PROVIDING INFORMATION IN THE FIELD OF HISTORY OF FOLK COSTUMES; PROVIDING ON-LINE INFORMATION IN THE NATURE OF FOLK COSTUMES IN THE WORLD. EDUCATIONAL SERVICES, NAMELY, CONDUCTING ON-LINE EXHIBITIONS AND DISPLAYS AND INTERACTIVE EXHIBITS IN THE FIELD OF FOLK COSTUMES

COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN SERVICES FOR GENERATING VIRTUAL REALITY RENDERINGS AND COMPUTER GENERATED 3-DIMENSIONAL CLOTHING FOR AVATARS; DESIGN FOR OTHERS IN THE FIELD OF CLOTHING; DESIGN OF COMPUTER PROGRAMS AND SOFTWARE RELATING TO CLOTHING; PROVIDING EXHIBIT SPACE OF VIRTUAL REALITY ENVIRONMENTS IN THE INTERNET FOR COMPUTER GENERATED 3-DIMENSIONAL DESIGN OF CLOTHING; PROVIDING NON-DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE FOR CREATING DRESS AND WEARS FOR VIRTUAL REALITY AVATARS; PROVIDING INFORMATION ABOUT CREATING AND DESIGN OF CLOTHING

Then again, the middle bit makes it sound like it could be a seperate thing..some sort of fashion related game or design software..

EDIT:
I know of some exploratory project that does something similar. Design clothings for your Avatar and have it tailored for yourself too. ;-)
Not sure what this is though.

Cool, sounds like Gran Turismo for the fashion industry. Time to show off cloth simulation! ;)

Back where I come from, people are said to have 4 basic needs: Lodging, clothes, transport and food. I would add communication and content for modern lifestyle.

Sony has Playstation Home, Dress, and Gran Turismo (Garage). They are missing an Iron Chef/Cooking Mama title or a pizza ordering service. :LOL:

I assume Home will eventually deliver a unified communication and content service since all the building blocks are already available or announced.

EDIT: If Dress is related to Home, I wonder what else is in "This is Living".

Back