Sony @ GDC: Phil Harrison's Keynote

Ok now I cant get excited over PS3 games

1) The HDD still isnt set in stone
2) No Hud
3) The Textures and Games look like PS2 games
4) It is against the rules to be excited about anything Sony related...Since They hide their forked-tounge and pitchfork.

I don't think they're doing any hiding of their forked tongue.

It seems to me they are doing a far better job at being as vague as possible to leave hope to those people who still believe certain things (like a standard HDD) without telling any flat out lies than MS did.

However, I think it's fair to say that because of their ambiguity on certain issues, regarding their claims with pessism and in the 'lowest common threshold' manner in order to lower expectations to not suffer severe disappointment would be a good course to take.

RancidLunchmeat said:
As far as their online service offerings, I agree with the others that are confused. If there's no tiered service and only a basic "free" service (but third parties can charge whatever they want.. over an unknown interface), then there's basically no service at all.
I can't make if you are joking or not, seriously :LOL: Yeah, those publishers who are in Xbox Live can charge whatever they want on top of what MS charge, too, Xbox Live is no service it seems.

:rolleyes:

Quit trolling for god's sake ! Real glimpse at launch games will be made possible at E3...

I find it odd that they didn't reveal more info on the technical side. 'might do it later though...

"Where The Hell Are The Pics/footage??!!!"

The presentation wasn't, and has never been centered around gamers in such meetings. ;)

Lycan said:

Quit trolling for god's sake ! Real glimpse at launch games will be made possible at E3...

I find it odd that they didn't reveal more info on the technical side. 'might do it later though...

It was sarcasm :(

Lycan said:
"Where The Hell Are The Pics/footage??!!!"

The presentation wasn't, and has never been centered around gamers in such meetings. ;)

I know that. But it's clear we will get footage/media. Some sites have already promised it.

I wish they'd hurry up already.

Anyway, before posting speculations about things like HDD and the network service, this Phil Harrison PS3 Q&A is essential to get a clue.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148957
Question: There's been some question over whether the hard drive will indeed be included with the PS3. Can you confirm either way?

Phil Harrison: As head of the software studios I don't want to be the one comment on the hardware, but I'll say this: developers are all designing their games to support the hard drive. All of our games are absolutely using the hard drive.
Question: Will the free PlayStation Network allow things like multiplayer gaming?

PH: While there will be content offerings that will be premium, we are aiming to have a free platform, so things like multiplayer gaming will be free. We have no plans to charge for that at the moment.

It sounds like he's confirming the HDD..sort of.

Or it could just mean, everybody will use the HD IF ITS PRESENT. Typical marketing BS.

Including the HDD would virtually seal a loss for Sony this gen as far as I'm concerned. They'd have to be pushing $600 at that point. Considering it also appears PS2 hardware is built in for emulation, and of course, Blu-Ray.

I'n not so sure we'll get to see any pictures or videos from the games presented on this event. Remember this event is for game developers and not the end users.

Sony may very well have forbidden any publication of such media because they feel the quality is not yet good enough to be published for everyone to see.

There's almost 2 months until E3 and that is when media from the games will flow on all channels imo.

Regarding whether the HDD is in or not as standard is not an issue in my mind. Most games, if not all, certainly won't need a HDD and it was widely assumed until before last wednesday that the PS3 would ship without one and that would be just fine. In my opinion that still stands.

However, a HDD is needed to take full use of this online service Sony is bringing. That much is clear and it's my guess that Sony wants everyone to know that one is coming and that every game will be enhanced by it. They're probably not ready to say much more than that at the moment. They probably don't want to give the competition to much info some 8 months before Sony launches the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err

Unreal Engine 3: This was also the first time that people could get their hands on and control the demo of the Unreal Engine 3 tech running on PS3. Although this was just a tech demo and not a game, we did play around with it quite a bit, shooting objects and testing out some of the ragdoll physics. The video is perhaps a brief taste of what to expect when Unreal Tournament 2007 hits the PS3 next year.

Okay UE3.

About Crysis..basically we have a new champ in the "best graphics in the world" catagory, dethroning UE3. At least it looks that way.

Next to one-up it will probably be Carmack's next PC engine LOL.

Register said:
Err

Okay UE3.

About Crysis..basically we have a new champ in the "best graphics in the world" catagory, dethroning UE3. At least it looks that way.

Next to one-up it will probably be Carmack's next PC engine LOL.
OK, but you are too offtopic now as far as I could read from the thread title :p

It's funny how the only impressive looking thing on the sony conference was,again, a target movie/tech demo of a game that will be released at the end of 2007 at the earliest(R&C) while anything resembling real time paled in comparison.

As for the rest(HD,online) some vague words and that's about it.

After motorsport ,i really can't wait for the unveiling of killzone.

fulcizombie said:
It's funny how the only impressive looking thing on the sony conference was,again, a target movie/tech demo of a game that will be released at the end of 2007 at the earliest(R&C) while anything resembling real time paled in comparison.

As for the rest(HD,online) some vague words and that's about it.

After motorsport ,i really can't wait for the unveiling of killzone.

Why is that funny and which have you seen... oh wait... I see... nevermind, I know why.

Back