Sony @ GDC: Phil Harrison's Keynote

Titanio

Legend
Well, we're just about 30 minutes away from the keynote. I guess we can post any news from it here.

As a reminder of what's to come:

"PlayStation 3: Beyond the Box"
Phil Harrison
President, Worldwide Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment
Wednesday, March 22
10:30 – 11:30am

"Focusing on the new creative, technical, and business opportunities provided by the arrival of PlayStation 3, the keynote will share Sony Computer Entertainment's innovative plans for the format and will provide a look at how new technology and new business models will help fuel the growth of the computer entertainment industry by attracting new consumers.

SCE is recognized as the global leader of the video game business with over 200 million hardware units and billions of software units sold across the three PlayStation formats. The recent global success of PlayStation Portable has shown the company’s commitment to continued innovation—developing the market beyond the traditional definitions of the game consumer.

This keynote will look at the tremendous opportunities presented to game developers worldwide as the industry goes “beyond the box.” "

GameDaily.biz is planning live coverage of the keynote, might be worth keeping an eye on along with Gamespot, Gamasutra etc:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12200

In the meantime, somebody sneaked in and took a photo from the showfloor at Sony's booth while they were setting up, and some of those PS3 kiosks showcasing dev tools:

You can see the duckies demo, and something running off windows (presumably not off the kit). Notice also the form factor of the dev kit - not the rackmounted unit Sony had previously indicated would be available by last December. Note also the Dualshock.

Also, just a rumour for now, but there are unconfirmed reports that Factor5 will be showing some really amazing stuff during the keynote. Hopefully that's true, but don't bank on it for now (and if it doesn't come off, at least a Factor5 artist is known to be presenting on 'Lair' asset creation as part of a seperate workshop)! My honest guess is that for the most part, Harrison will stick to the blueprint Kutaragi laid out for him last week, perhaps with some more elaboration in places..

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently it was Major Nelson that took that piccie. How odd! I'll find a link if I can.

EDIT: I saw the mention of it on either PSInext or of PS3forums, but I can't find it now :(

I guess the sight of XP running on a screen under a PS3 banner was irresistable :LOL:

Apparently people are at the place now. A silver PS3 features on the stage, along with various other Playstation devices (all the way down to the original Playstation).

edit - it has begun, as of 10:36

A couple of pics:

DSC02112.JPG

DSC02116.JPG

From Kotaku:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/playstation/playstation-3-keynote-live-blogging-162231.php

They also quote Harrison

“Our job is to grow the market, our job is to lead and our job is to innovate.”

Jaffe is on stage..maybe going to show his new PSP game??

Ack! GOW 2 trailer out!

10:43 AM PDT- A trailer clip of God of War II: Divine Retribution is shown, for the PlayStation 2. Kratos rips an eye out of a cyclops, rides a phoenix and rips its wings off, and tears apart a wild boar.

[Edit]:sorry for DP, I'll edit next time.

HDD confirmed to be included, apparently.

1:53 - Broadband connection required, HDD included, wireless connection capable.
1:54 - Middleware is the key aspect of the PS3 -Ageia physx, Havok, Epic, Unreal

Also:

10:57 AM PDT- A demo showing a thousand knights getting blasted is shown. Looks very cool, if a bit similar to the chaotic nature of Ninety Nine Nights.

Titanio said:
HDD confirmed to be included, apparently.

1:53 - Broadband connection required, HDD included, wireless connection capable.
1:54 - Middleware is the key aspect of the PS3 -Agei physx, Havok, Epic, Unreal

HDD was confirmed yesterday by teamXbox

10:57 AM PDT- A demo showing a thousand knights getting blasted is shown. Looks very cool, with bodies scattered about.

10:59 AM PDT- A clip featuring a grey sports car in a desert is shown

Source: gamedaily.com

basanti said:
HDD was confirmed yesterday by teamXbox

There were reports citing SCEE reps, but they were defaulting to what Kutaragi said, which they took to mean it'd be included - but translations of his comments didn't appear to jive with that. This would appear to be finally, firm confirmation from Harrison (well, I hope).

Back