Sony fixes PSP flaw

Ty

Roberta E. Lee
Veteran
http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3138532

Sony has announced that a flaw in the PSP's manufacturing process that could lead to stuck square buttons has been resolved. According to PlayStation.jp's support section, the molding of the casing was the problem. Units manufactured in the new year no longer suffer from the problem, thanks to new procedures; older units that did were under warranty and have been repaired or replaced by Sony.

Sony has previously claimed that only 0.6% of the units shipped last year were repaired for square button problems. Anecdotal evidence suggests the problem is more widespread. Either way, it's now resolved, which means that statistics are largely moot.

Original topic was locked.

Perfect! That means by the time it reaches Europe probably all tiny flaws have been ironed out. So I going to pick up a launch unit, if I am lucky enough...

It'll still have the dead pixzels when it comes to Europe.
In fact they could all be dead of old age before they manage to get the PSP to Europe.

rabidrabbit said:
It'll still have the dead pixzels when it comes to Europe.
In fact they could all be dead of old age before they manage to get the PSP to Europe.

But that's a problem you're having with almost all LCD panels....

rabidrabbit said:
I know, I'm just disappointed at Sony not bringing the PSP to Europe at March.
I hate Sony now.

I hate everybody. But that doesn't stop me from buying things ;)

BoT: Anything new on the EURO launch? Latest rumour I heard was April, 19th with 150.000 units...

I thought the button issue was an "intentional design decision" and not a flaw?

Acert93 said:
The form of the button, and the way it connected to the board, were what SCEI called intentional industrial design decisions.

Here's the flaw comes from some production problems making the molded plastic button on some PSP to stick.

Acert93 said:
This has been known since the beginning. A case molding caused them to stick, but the design and possible "less responsiveness" that it can cause was intentional. Notice they mention nothing about responsiveness, just the sticking. (Which they were replacing on units where it happened.)

The only thing that seems to be known and contentuous is just how many units were affected by the molding flaw.

Back