Sony Announces Blu-ray Movie Pricing

NucNavST3 said:
What is your estimated time frame for a 1080p edit: TV in every home?

Not in a million years.
Ok a million years is a lot.
I don't think it will happen even in 10 years.

How long did it take for every home to get a colour TV, when they were introduced?

How long did it take for every home to get a TV...?

I think there must still be some B/W TVs around...

london-boy said:
Not in a million years.

How long did it take for every home to get a colour TV, when they were introduced?

More importantly how many people still have 4:3 sets?

yeah but your going to see it every time you walk into Best Buy and wonder why your movies look so grainy on your $2000 HDTV.

Exactly so unless you visit electrical stores frequently you wouldn't see it, to make you want it.

Besides if you already have a HDTV half the problem is solved, i was talking about people who don't understand the concept of HDTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
Not in a million years.

Speaking of which, what tv did you get and is it 1080p (PM if you'd rather not reveal to the masses)

I wasn't taking his "every" literally :LOL: more along the lines of dominant format. But I agree with you, in the states it wasn't until last year that broadband overtook dial-up and that is only a $10-20 increase/month.

NucNavST3 said:
Speaking of which, what tv did you get and is it 1080p (PM if you'd rather not reveal to the masses)

Well i'd tell you, but then i'd have to kill you... >.>

Kidding, it's a LE32R51BDX which in he US is called something else, but is basically the Samsung model which has a triangular-shaped sloped bit at the bottom, where the speakers are. Basically the model after the one MS is using for their X360 pods, just the 32" version. Lovely set, and it has a 1366x768 resolution, making it a 720p model. Not the best picture out there, but i'm not too bothered, the image quality is still fabulous and in the end it was absolutely amazing value, for the price...

The "need a 1080p hdtv to make BR worthwhile" argument is a red herring. The fact is BR will be useful for any hdtv that supports hdcp, and still more from there depending on how the movie studios decide to handle hdcp restrictions. The reason it is a red herring is that it would be equally ridiculous to claim that DVD is only worthwhile for people with the highest spec sdtv's. We already know this is not the case, as it tends to look very good on just about any sdtv (of any given performance level) you display it on. Additionally, BR will look better than DVD on just about any hdtv you display it on (upscaling or not). The performance bar is really not high here to succeed as has been adamantly argued in other hdtv topics here long past. It is said that the mere fact that hdtv broadcasts look better than sdtv broadcasts displayed on an hdtv, is enough for to justify the existence of hdtv broadcasts. It doesn't have to even look A LOT better- just better. The same will follow for BR.

Mr. Hanky said:
The "need a 1080p hdtv to make BR worthwhile" argument is a red herring. The fact is BR will be useful for any hdtv that supports hdcp, and still more from there depending on how the movie studios decide to handle hdcp restrictions. The reason it is a red herring is that it would be equally ridiculous to claim that DVD is only worthwhile for people with the highest spec sdtv's. We already know this is not the case, as it tends to look very good on just about any sdtv (of any given performance level) you display it on. Additionally, BR will look better than DVD on just about any hdtv you display it on (upscaling or not). The performance bar is really not high here to succeed as has been adamantly argued in other hdtv topics here long past. It is said that the mere fact that hdtv broadcasts look better than sdtv broadcasts displayed on an hdtv, is enough for to justify the existence of hdtv broadcasts. It doesn't have to even look A LOT better- just better. The same will follow for BR.

There basically only 2 specs of SDTV's 480i and 480p component isn't a standard used very often (in europe at least) so limiting most DVD playback in europe to 480i. (infact i would be interested to know what international percentage take advantage of the 480p video from dvd)

HDTV covers 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

A big part of Blu-ray is that its "Target" resolution is 1080p.

720p sets can be seen as the true transition set, and in 3-4 years will probably be phased out.

The way i see it is ...

Current Tv's are 480i / 480p

Transition sets are 720p

True HDTV is 1080i/1080p (this is what blu-ray should be catered to)

There is no argument that you will still see benefits from watching Blu-ray on a 720p set but you won't be taking full advantage of the media's capabilities.

...and that is a small point because arguably a great majority of sdtv's (performance-wise) in use today do not take full advantage of DVD output, either. There is more to video performance than just comparing resolutions and then presuming all is well when the media format and the display format "match". That is as simplistic as assuming that if car A and car B happen to have the same hp spec, they will perform exactly the same. It utterly ignores car weight, torque band, gearing, method of aspiration, etc...

It's the same as it has ever been- BR will look good on lesser TV's and look best on the best TV's. Either way, it will look better than what was there before, and people will want that experience for their prized movie titles. Whether or not they have true 1080p display functionality at their disposal will not be a significant factor.

london-boy said:
That's why DVD won't die, or lose first spot, for a long time. ;)
I think that when people will be able to store lots of HD movies on hard drives, maybe that's when optical formats will die.
I never understand why people keep bringing up MP3s when talking about SACD/DVDA. If anything, MP3 ate up CD sales, not SACD/DVDA sales, which are just niche and always will be since their market is just different to the CD/MP3 market. It's like they're on a different dimension. MP3 damaged CD sales, not SACD/DVDA. What damaged SACD/DVDA is that no one gave a damn and the companies making the formats didn't convince the people that they "needed" them.

HDTV is a new standard that will become a much bigger part of our houses than "high quality audio" ever will. Even at this somewhat "initial" stage, HDTVs have made a huge impact, and eventually all TVs will be HDTVs. And people will want to play HD movies on them without much trouble and FAST, and optical formats are the easiest option.
Surely, digital distribution is the wild card, but we won't have infrastructures to support that for a while (bandwidth for fast downloads of huge files, and hard drives big enough to keep a lot of movies in there at any one time), and in the meantime HDDVD and Bluray will have a chance to make an impact.

Anyway, we've discussed this so many times...

I agree its been beaten to death, no use in rehashing. I agree with some of what you said here but to get into will just be a revision of things you and i have both typed many times before.

expletive said:
I agree its been beaten to death, no use in rehashing. I agree with some of what you said here but to get into will just be a revision of things you and i have both typed many times before.

I also concur. So does that mean we have successfully concluded a thread, and it didn't resort to name calling or flaming, in the console section no less, wow, congrats on the level headedness.

I think once broadcast HD goes more mainstream it will help high def movie penetration.

I'm watching the Olympics in HD and it looks stunning like your there.. This is the kind of thing I'd want in my collection.

I think the means are already in place for broadcast HD to go mainstream. It just needs to be marketed with a different "spin". ;) Right now, it is marketed to hdtv owners (which would be a logical approach), but hdtv owners aren't the only ones that can benefit from HD broadcasts (ironic, as it sounds). As compromised as sd dtv is implemented, it is actually possible to see noticeable and beneficial PQ improvement with downscaled hd broadcasts on a mere sdtv (using "lowly" s-video/composite analog connections, to boot). It is counter-intuitive, but indeed, digital sd broadcast services have really gotten that bad.

So where am I going with this? If you can successfully market hd broadcast services to hdtv AND sdtv users, that opens the market up considerably. Hd broadcasts will finally give sdtv users the PQ experience that digital sd broadcasts never has been able to fulfill. The larger market should assist in bringing the cost of hd broadcast services to more "mainstream" levels, and stimulate more programming, as well. Sdtv users will be emersed in "hd awareness", which will increase the likelihood of their graduating to an hdtv purchase at some point in time (if not, but to eliminate those black bars from their sdtv screens).

So that would be my angle for mainstreaming hd broadcast services. ;) Maybe shoddy digital sd broadcasts have gotten to be so by design, so it is kind of a skeevy way to push the masses to the world of hd. The way I look at it, hd broadcasts are the future (warts and all ;) ), like it or not, so holding on to sd broadcasts is simply prolonging the inevitable. Those who seek to sell hd broadcast services, simply need to remodulate their ad campaigning to convey that it would benefit everyone, regardless of the tv they currently own. It would be a far more honest statement to the masses than all those promises of "digital quality" video and sound we've heard of for so long.

randycat99 said:
It is counter-intuitive, but indeed, digital sd broadcast services have really gotten that bad.
I'm actually starting to wonder if SD broadcasts are being 'dumbed down' to encourage a switch. On analgoue I'm starting to see some programmes using half the vertical resolution, with blocky pixels and aliasing galore. I don't know if this is as a result of low-res captures (mobile-phone video syndrome) but IIRC there's been some reruns that have shown this mess too. Very perplexing (unless it's my TV's analogue decoding somehow?).

I certainly don't think you are imagining things. ;) I've noticed "artifacts" while viewing analog cable tv at my parent's home. Apart from the subtle, but typical, analog types of noise and interference, there were moments of color gradation. There was no pixelation or compression artifacts- just the gradation. I can only explain that this is indication that the major networks are sending digitally compressed feeds to the cable companies which then convert to analog cable for their remaining analog-only customers. The compression is light, relative to nearly fubarred consumer digital sd feeds, but it is enough to leave a subtle color gradation artifact. My response- arrrrgh! Can't even escape the evil spectre of digital hashery in the analog world!

Anyways, there increasingly appears to be nowhere to run except forward- to the hd broadcast world. It's not perfect for the technology it sits on, but it is really the only thing left that we can hope to improve over time. Everything else is being run into the ground one way or another... It was inevitable, I know, but it is a shame to see the fundamental mediums go out so under par before they finally die out (no final golden days).

Lionsgate announces their Blu-ray prices - $24.98!

Klee on GAF found this:

http://www.hive4media.com/

Lionsgate Q3 Profit Dips

Sluggish DVD sales in family and direct-to-video entertainment combined to push down Lionsgate's third-quarter (ended Dec. 31) net income to $3.1 million, from $3.3 million during the comparable period last year.

The Santa Monica, Calif.-based mini-major said it would announce as early as next week 10 titles to be released this summer in the Blu-ray Disc format at $24.98 per title.

The titles they announced at CES were:

The Devil's Rejects
Dune (mini-series)
Lord of War
The Punisher
Rambo: First Blood
Reservoir Dogs
Saw
See No Evil
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Total Recall

The stations here in Colorado, often remind viewers that by the companies switching to HD broadcasts makes for a better picture even for SD viewers, so I think broadcasters in other markets are probably doing the same.

Titanio- Were those retail prices or are those wholesale prices.
If that is their retail price, that wouldn't even be a premium price, I have seen DVDs priced at $20-25. I was thinking there was going to be about a $10 premium for both hd-dvd and bd-rom.

OT rant: Those bastards had a D-VHS demo where they showed Total Recall, but it never got released, damn them.

T2 is absolutely AMAZING in HD, whether you have seen the DVHS version or the WMV-HD they are both great.

seismologist said:
I think once broadcast HD goes more mainstream it will help high def movie penetration.

I'm watching the Olympics in HD and it looks stunning like your there.. This is the kind of thing I'd want in my collection.

Oh yes god bless HD. Things like the Superbowl, March Madness, and the Olympics always makes me feel like every channel should be in HD even MTV and BET.

NucNavST3 said:
Titanio- Were those retail prices or are those wholesale prices.

It doesn't say. But if it doesn't say they're wholesale, I'd say there's a good chance those are retail prices. I guess we should find out for sure if they make the announcement this week.

-tkf- said:

But keep in mind it isn't so much the device that is the issue it is the display for most people that is the issue. Because even if there were cards that were compliant, it wouldn't mean a thing if you still had a VGA monitor or older/newer (w/o hdcp) DVI monitor.

So in this instance its Hollywood 1 Consumers 0, unless they really do keep the flag turned off, but in the interest of keeping the thread flame-proof, I would ask that we not start keeping psuedo-scores it generally leads to misunderstanding, miscommunication and a big lock.

That article explains the reason why i think HDDVD or Bluray movie watching on PC won't happen any time soon, and the reason why MS's efforts to kill Bluray off by adopting HDDVD as Vista's first next gen format won't make a bit of difference in this silly "war".

Back