Sony advertise for software engineer for BC

Wow, that's actually big news. I was under the impression the Singstar solution would involve hot swapping discs so the program could just look for the song data from PS2 versions of the game. But the mention of a firmware update to allow this was always suspicious. It makes more sense if it's actually a matter of title specific software emulation of the PS2.

I've always suspected that PS2 emulation development was ongoing and it makes sense to target low hanging fruit like the Singstar titles which don't stress the GS but have a huge market impact in Europe.

Wow, that's actually big news. I was under the impression the Singstar solution would involve hot swapping discs so the program could just look for the song data from PS2 versions of the game. But the mention of a firmware update to allow this was always suspicious. It makes more sense if it's actually a matter of title specific software emulation of the PS2.

That quote from Reeves is wrong or mistranslated. Singstar PS3 is getting a patch to support reading PS2 Singstar disks and playing them within the PS3 version, as you thought. Later PS3 Singstars will have the ability built in.

That quote from Reeves is wrong or mistranslated. Singstar PS3 is getting a patch to support reading PS2 Singstar disks and playing them within the PS3 version, as you thought. Later PS3 Singstars will have the ability built in.

See post #59. I can read the original German, and it's rather clear and not mistranslated. Also it is so specific that it is impossible to be misquoted. The only option left is pure fabrication, which doesn't seem likely, or Reeves saying something that's completely false, which I also don't think is the case here.

So for now I"m assuming that the quote is correct, which means that PS2 Singstar will be able to run without the PS3 Singstar disc, as well as the songs being playable in PS3 Singstar through disc-swapping. Also, he mentions that they will be working on making PS2 titles backwards compatible again with the PS3 through firmware, "where it makes sense." Which I assume to mean that it will happen for some high-profile games that aren't too technically proficient.

Hmm. Well, Eurogamer has a clarification post here. It's possible Reeves is just misunderstanding technology again.

That doesn't say anything relevant to the above. It just mentions the one thing, i.e. disc-swapping being supported, as opposed to ripping the songs to the HDD, which isn't supported, and that a firmware update allows the new models of PS3 to read PS2 discs again.

Back